Due time for another winning streak. Canucks @ Bell Centre, 7:30PM

(I hope MB doesn't know Shane O'Brien is still playing. I have no doubt he will work two hours a day on a deal to get him for Joonas Nattinen and a 7th in 2019 at the deadline).

I guess I totally missed when Bergevin let go of a prospect for a player the low calibre of Shane O'Brien. Unless this is your pity party about the return for Vanek at the deadline.

I guess I totally missed when Bergevin let go of a prospect for a player the low calibre of Shane O'Brien. Unless this is your pity party about the return for Vanek at the deadline.

I wouldn't call Joonas Nattinen a prospect. His claim to fame is playing two NHL shifts to scare Rene Bourque.

How about Phillipe Lefebvre and a 7th for Parros?

I wouldn't call Joonas Nattinen a prospect. His claim to fame is playing two NHL shifts to scare Rene Bourque.

How about Phillipe Lefebvre and a 7th for Parros?

I wouldn't call Phillipe Lefebvre a prospect either. His claim to fame was...well...I don't know if he even had one. The guy was a mediocre junior player and it made no sense that he got an NHL deal. Here we are one year later and he already has left pro hockey to go back to school, at least Nattinen (who I believe was quietly released a couple of months ago by the way) is still playing. The most valuable asset in that trade was the 7th rounder that the Habs had previously received in return for a different 7th rounder.

As for the game itself, that was a much better effort. The front line showed some chemistry but before everyone crowns them the 1st line of the present and future, it's only one game. And, of course, if they falter for too long, I'm sure Desharnais will go back onto that line (part of that veteran trust that has been discussed in previous posts).

In terms of the youngsters, I think Beaulieu will be back to Hamilton in the near future. If the #6 guy is going to play 11 minutes and change as Beaulieu did last night, it'll be one of the veterans getting that spot when they're healthy. As for Andrighetto, he was pretty quiet in my opinion aside from that one nice play to set up Plekanec. (Just like the first where he was quiet save for one play, his goal.) As long as he keeps making those one or two plays count, he'll stay in the lineup. I liked Bournival yesterday, he's a better fit when he's not asked to play a grinding role.

I wouldn't call Phillipe Lefebvre a prospect either. His claim to fame was...well...I don't know if he even had one. The guy was a mediocre junior player and it made no sense that he got an NHL deal. Here we are one year later and he already has left pro hockey to go back to school, at least Nattinen (who I believe was quietly released a couple of months ago by the way) is still playing. The most valuable asset in that trade was the 7th rounder that the Habs had previously received in return for a different 7th rounder.

As for the game itself, that was a much better effort. The front line showed some chemistry but before everyone crowns them the 1st line of the present and future, it's only one game. And, of course, if they falter for too long, I'm sure Desharnais will go back onto that line (part of that veteran trust that has been discussed in previous posts).

In terms of the youngsters, I think Beaulieu will be back to Hamilton in the near future. If the #6 guy is going to play 11 minutes and change as Beaulieu did last night, it'll be one of the veterans getting that spot when they're healthy. As for Andrighetto, he was pretty quiet in my opinion aside from that one nice play to set up Plekanec. (Just like the first where he was quiet save for one play, his goal.) As long as he keeps making those one or two plays count, he'll stay in the lineup. I liked Bournival yesterday, he's a better fit when he's not asked to play a grinding role.

and plekanic "was pretty quiet" (useless actually) "aside form that one nice play"

dd will go back on the line if the last night first line falters/

because only dd can falter and stay on the first line to "play his way out of it"

chucky is going to be the first line center on the montreal canadiens..............leave him there. tired of the over coaching that goes on with this club.

• Upvote 1

Well, not quite the dominant performance I was looking forward to--at least not on the score board-- but the boys were fired up and at many points in the game they seemed to have the ice tilted against Vancouver. I really liked the new lines and I hope they can start to convert some of those chances into goals. What I would like to see is a string of games with an effort consistent with what we saw last night, but with more scoring.

Guest Stogey24

and plekanic "was pretty quiet" (useless actually) "aside form that one nice play"

Its true, don't let that goal fool you, he didn't do much out there. If Galchenyuk runs with this centre position, look for a trade with either Plek or DD involve.

Its true, don't let that goal fool you, he didn't do much out there. If Galchenyuk runs with this centre position, look for a trade with either Plek or DD involve.

I have been saying that for quite some time.

Watching no. 27 playing centre yesterday was fun. He is the whole package. So talented, so fast and smart out there. Obviously he has the tools. Let him play!

Guest Stogey24

I have been saying that for quite some time.

Watching no. 27 playing centre yesterday was fun. He is the whole package. So talented, so fast and smart out there. Obviously he has the tools. Let him play!

Yup, it's time for sure

It wasn't the first time Genius - Crazy Mike had him at centre and you make assumption that he would of stayed same course, while just completing a 3-6-1 stretch... of course he wouldn't of thought of experimenting to get more offense would he?

We know you say he fails to adapt and as you say, he dosent change his lines enough.... but also that he does it too often or frequently, I am not sure on that bit of logic?

Quite an odd cynical take isn't it?

You really do think he is a total idiot and quite incompetent eh? :blush:

I really think a lot of what has gone on with management's decisions has been to do with the long haul, and maybe doesn't make sense to the "win all or you're a loser", or "win now and every game" philosophy.

Some times you have to stop and think it's a long season, and maybe the team will indeed look quite a bit different come playoff time, and Habs are still looking like a playoff team most nights.

Nothing wrong with the coach experimenting, and learning all he can know about the team, while maintaining a good position in the standings.

Or, I guess we could all be doing the "Chicken Little" sky is falling dance after every loss or small bad stretch, although it doesn't seem like a fun way to think and feel.... :scared:

If Therrien was the idiot some of you have him pegged as, I'm sure he wouldn't even be an NHL coach with 300 wins no less....

• Upvote 1

It wasn't the first time Genius - Crazy Mike had him at centre and you make assumption that he would of stayed same course, while just completing a 3-6-1 stretch... of course he wouldn't of thought of experimenting to get more offense would he?

We know you say he fails to adapt and as you say, he dosent change his lines enough.... but also that he does it too often or frequently, I am not sure on that bit of logic?

Quite an odd cynical take isn't it?

You really do think he is a total idiot and quite incompetent eh? :blush:

. Well to answer your question i have never said he "does not change his lines enough" unless you mean "get dd of the no 1 line and first pp unit" and no i dont think he is a "total idiot" I do not think he is good coach is all. I have seen nothing special he has brought to the table. Thought he sucked first time round in Montreal, thought he was less than great in Pittsburg. After being fired by Pens he never coached again until he resurfaced here. Far as i can see the only thing he learned since his last two coaching failures in the nhl is to keep his mouth shut.

Put it this way, its a good thing that during a rebuild to contending the team has lots of room and ares for improvement.......the head coach is one of those areas. MB will address that, when the time comes.

I really think a lot of what has gone on with management's decisions has been to do with the long haul, and maybe doesn't make sense to the "win all or you're a loser", or "win now and every game" philosophy.

Some times you have to stop and think it's a long season, and maybe the team will indeed look quite a bit different come playoff time, and Habs are still looking like a playoff team most nights.

Nothing wrong with the coach experimenting, and learning all he can know about the team, while maintaining a good position in the standings.

Or, I guess we could all be doing the "Chicken Little" sky is falling dance after every loss or small bad stretch, although it doesn't seem like a fun way to think and feel.... :scared:

If Therrien was the idiot some of you have him pegged as, I'm sure he wouldn't even be an NHL coach with 300 wins no less....

Better coaches with more wins have been fired. But i agree, he is not an idiot.

Personally I would like the habs to get a coach that brings more to the table than "not being an idiot"

Have never heard fans of the genious stating stuff like

-his team has one of the best powerplays in the nhl

-the pk is much better since mt took over

-the team is well prepared every night

-he matches lines with the best of them

- the young guys are really improving under coach therrrien

- the players just rave about their therrien (to a man they never mention him)

all i hear from his corner

"he's not an idiot"

"he must be good or he would not be in the nhl"

"look at the habs record"

The players in Tbay all have great things to say about the coach. Flames players rave about Hartley. Canucks players cant say enough about the coach. Kings rave about Sutter where young players are thriving. "Therrien is not an idiot" yay!

Of course, everyone was praising Therrien in the playoffs when he absolutely destroyed Cooper of Tampa in four games by outmatching him at every line change and then ousted the Bruins in seven in a series everyone agreed he outcoached Julien. The praising stopped due to the eastern conference finals and everyone forgot the staffs accomplishments against Tampa and Boston.

Guest Stogey24

Of course, everyone was praising Therrien in the playoffs when he absolutely destroyed Cooper of Tampa in four games by outmatching him at every line change and then ousted the Bruins in seven in a series everyone agreed he outcoached Julien. The praising stopped due to the eastern conference finals and everyone forgot the staffs accomplishments against Tampa and Boston.

A hurt Bishop and recovering Stamkos. That would have been a different series with those too.

Better coaches with more wins have been fired. But i agree, he is not an idiot.

Personally I would like the habs to get a coach that brings more to the table than "not being an idiot"

Have never heard fans of the genious stating stuff like

-his team has one of the best powerplays in the nhl

-the pk is much better since mt took over

-the team is well prepared every night

-he matches lines with the best of them

- the young guys are really improving under coach therrrien

- the players just rave about their therrien (to a man they never mention him)

all i hear from his corner

"he's not an idiot"

"he must be good or he would not be in the nhl"

"look at the habs record"

The players in Tbay all have great things to say about the coach. Flames players rave about Hartley. Canucks players cant say enough about the coach. Kings rave about Sutter where young players are thriving. "Therrien is not an idiot" yay!

Therrien wasn't hired because he's a brilliant tactician. He was hired because he's a motivator/taskmaster, and at the time the Habs, especially young players like Eller and Subban, needed a coach like that.

I remember...once upon a time, the Habs had a coach with a brilliant system. A man who won the Jack Adams. A man who was so focused on managerial details that he recorded them in a little notebook during games. A coach who loved to match lines, whose system took down the #1/#2 seeds with help from a hot goalie.

That was Jacques Martin.

Give Therrien some credit. He's coached two and a half years in MTL, and he hasn't been "fired" by the fans or press once. I think that's pretty impressive.

A hurt Bishop and recovering Stamkos. That would have been a different series with those too.

I know i'm in the minority, but what is so impressive about the Lightning?

Bob Hartley is a genius. Sure. And all the 'experts' on here were every bit as adamant that he would be a terrible hire for the Habs as they were certain that Therrien was a terrible hire. Frankly, Hartley has the Flames doing what the Habs did in 2012 under Therrien - i.e., rebound after a terrible season. The same goes for Willie Desjardins. If those guys are awesome, then so is Therrien.

There is a small number of really elite NHL coaches. Quenneville. Babcock. Sutter. You can argue about one or two others. That's about it, really. The rest are an interchangeable mass of competent professionals who are generally capable of getting their team to play to the level that its talent-level dictates. Unless we luck out and hire one of those rare 'elite' coaches, whoever replaces Therrien is guaranteed to generate exactly the same quantity of fan bitching about micro-decisions.

You know another Habs' coach who was on the receiving end of EXACTLY these kinds of criticisms? ('Doesn't dress young players enough...makes the wrong lineup decisions...etc., etc.')? Pat Burns. Couldn't run a power-play. Had the wrong system. Pig-headedly holding back surefire susperstar prospect Stephane Lebeau. Etc., etc..

'nuff said.

Therrien will get canned when the team loses a bunch of games and fails to play to the level its talent level would dictate. That hasn't happened so far. The end.

mt has won two round and lost two rounds.............. nobody has forgotten the wins...............they are the reason he is still working.

Plex had a quiet night. He didn't stand out. But wait, didn't get the typical Plex treatment of new wingers? Again? Still managed to score the winner. I dunno, I'm not really into moving Plex at all; I think he's too important to the team. DD, on the other hand...

• Upvote 1