Le genius and the power play

habs rule

I know there used to be a topic on the power play but I couldn't find it.

Some interesting stats on Le Genius' success(?) with the power play.

Montreal Canadiens: 2000-01 16th 16.1%

2001-02 20th 14.7

2002-03 25th 13.9

Pitsburgh Penquins 2005-06 6th 19% 2005-06 Montreal 5th 19.2% coach julien

2006-07 5th 20.3% 2006-07 1st 22.8% gainey

2007-08 4th 20.4% 2007-08 1st 24.9 Carbo

2008-09 20th 17.2 % 2008-09 13th 19.0 Carbo

Montreal Canadiens 2010-2011 7th 19.7% coach: J Martin

2012-13 5th 20.7% le genius

2013-14 19th 17.2% le genius

2014-15 24th 14% le genius

No matter where he coached the power play gets worse. He held it together in Pits for a couple of years, but he did have a powerhouse team.

I honestly believe the problem with the power play is standing behind the bench.

I have now heard from people that the P/P is not that important. Well the only thing I can say is I would rather have a lethal power play, which does a couple of things.Other teams don't take the liberties if they know it is going to be a goal. Also scoring does help to win games so I think it is a good idea to be effective when you have the greatest chance.

We have Subban Patches Galchenyuk Markov Gonchar Gallagher and much more.. How is it that we cannot have a decent power play? Is that asking for too much?

The idea that nobody gets penalised in the playoffs is kid of silly. Of course there are penalties, maybe less of the chintzy, piddly assed ones, but the refs are not putting their whistles away like they used to.

Just my opinion guys. FLAME ON

Im not known as a Therrien defender but...

He took over the team after Ed Olczyk in 05-06. The team didnt qualify to the playoffs that year.

In 06-07 he got them into the playoffs but got eliminated in 1st round.

In 07-08 he got them to the finals.

With us he got us to 1st round in 12-13, ecf in 13-14.

Noone can say that the teams he coaches doesnt improve every season.

Maybe it was Bylsma who took over a perfectly coached team and got a cup for free in 08-09 and then failed totally as a coach by not getting that powerhouse Pens team to the finals again. Mostly getting eliminated in the first two rounds.

Gallant was interviewed last night during the intermission of the Florida game, he said Therrien has some very smart systems, and that he stole some when he left for Fla ;), and actually said that Therrien lets his assistant coaches have a lot of say and responsibility to their mandate....

Maybe the problem with the PP is Gallant is gone? Kirk Muller is gone?

I can't believe for one minute that the skilled players we have can't break down how an opposing team is defending them in a PP chance or two, and create a goal.

I think it's on the players, as much as the coach, and more on the assistant than the Head...

I know last year that Therrien was getting a peaved on the PP's ineptness, and that they spent a few practices on just the PP, and then it started clicking better...

Well Korp it may be true that he has some smart systems, the powerplay isn't one of them. I don't know if Gallant ran the power play, I believe that Muller did but he was gone before Le Genius showed up. We do have very skilled players on the power play however they are taught a system to maximize success. I would say that LG's penalty kill system works great. Also his coaching of Price is fabulous. Now it is entirely possible that the assistant coach in charge of the power play is a complete boob, but then shouldn't Le Genius solve that by getting a guy who can do a better job? When you are the head cheese it is your job to make sure you have the right mouse in the right place. The coming ut lethargic in the 1st period needs to be addressed. Is this another assistant coach? I don't think so, this is a leadership thing. I think he has to get the 4 associate captains together and figure out a way to get this team ready before a game. He is not going to be fired, unless we go for a real sh!t, so he needs to improve on the weaknesses and now is a good time to do it. Personally I don't think he knows crap about running a power play. So how can he evaluate his assistant if he himself is clueless?

Personally I don't think he knows crap about running a power play. So how can he evaluate his assistant if he himself is clueless?

I'm sure that MT wants it to be better, no doubt, and you could very well be bang on, but still, it's up to the players to execute, and it seems that PK units are a leg up on PP units across the league, changes to face offs?

I really dunno man, I have no answers to why it's so bad for Mtl... but definitely agree with you that it should be addressed, and better quick than later, yet I will never agree that MT is clueless, I actually think he is full of character, old school, but still a better than average coach all things told.

• Upvote 1

He took over the team after Ed Olczyk in 05-06. The team didnt qualify to the playoffs that year.

Maybe it was Bylsma who took over a perfectly coached team and got a cup for free in 08-09 and then failed totally as a coach by not getting that powerhouse Pens team to the finals again. Mostly getting eliminated in the first two rounds.

mt was just over 500 with the pens when he was canned......bylsma then went something like 18-3 down the stretch

"maybe it was bylsma who took over a perfectly coached team and got a cup for free" I'm sure Therriens mom thinks so . :nuts:

Just before therrien was fired he called the pens "the worst defensive team in the nhl" and the "softest D he has ever coached"

So they canned him and won the Cup. lol Pete Best :wall:

I'm sure that MT wants it to be better, no doubt, and you could very well be bang on, but still, it's up to the players to execute, and it seems that PK units are a leg up on PP units across the league, changes to face offs?

I really dunno man, I have no answers to why it's so bad for Mtl... but definitely agree with you that it should be addressed, and better quick than later, yet I will never agree that MT is clueless, I actually think he is full of character, old school, but still a better than average coach all things told.

"I really dunno man", ................ HR does. the head coach.

What do you think made a bigger difference to the Pens success. replacing Olcyzk with Therrien, or adding Malkin (rookie of the year) and Jordan Stall??? That's adding 62 goals and dumping old man Lemieux.

I could have coached that team with the same record as MT.

Gallant was interviewed last night during the intermission of the Florida game, he said Therrien has some very smart systems, and that he stole some when he left for Fla ;), and actually said that Therrien lets his assistant coaches have a lot of say and responsibility to their mandate....

Maybe the problem with the PP is Gallant is gone? Kirk Muller is gone?

I can't believe for one minute that the skilled players we have can't break down how an opposing team is defending them in a PP chance or two, and create a goal.

I think it's on the players, as much as the coach, and more on the assistant than the Head...

I know last year that Therrien was getting a peaved on the PP's ineptness, and that they spent a few practices on just the PP, and then it started clicking better...

A poor powerplay may frustrate MT , but as HR pointed out with (posting his record)..........he's used to having a poor one.

I seem to remember seeing from old episodes of 24 CH (when they actually showed relevant behind the scenes highlights) that Clement Jodoin had a hand in the setup for the PP. In prior years, it has been the offensive assistant that also played a big role so presumably, it's Lacroix/Jodoin that have the most say.

I seem to remember seeing from old episodes of 24 CH (when they actually showed relevant behind the scenes highlights) that Clement Jodoin had a hand in the setup for the PP. In prior years, it has been the offensive assistant that also played a big role so presumably, it's Lacroix/Jodoin that have the most say.

At the end of the day the buck stops with the head coach. Unless your name is Gauthier or McTavish you don't generally fire the assistant coach when things are working - you fire the head coach (of course both ended up firing their head coach when canning the assistant didn't help).

I'm hoping we can win it this year. Next year land is for Leaf's fans.

We won the cup with Al McNeil, an aging lineup by riding on the back of a rookie goalie. In 86' we won with Jean Perron and 6 rookies and two grizzled vets from the dynasty years leading the way.

In 93 we won 10 freakin straight OT games and lucked out by not having to face the defending champs.

You gotta believe - we can win inspite of le genius.

An above average powerplay.

A better, tougher bottom half of the D.

A new smarter coach.

A few tweaks on the forwards.

by 2016 all that will have come to fruition.

The Cup is coming.

mt was just over 500 with the pens when he was canned......bylsma then went something like 18-3 down the stretch

"maybe it was bylsma who took over a perfectly coached team and got a cup for free" I'm sure Therriens mom thinks so . :nuts:

Just before therrien was fired he called the pens "the worst defensive team in the nhl" and the "softest D he has ever coached"

Do you have to be so damn demeaning Everytime someone says something you dont agree on?

Its making you very annoying. Learn some internet manners and stop try to make everybody who doesnt agree with you look stupid because the only one looking stupid is you.

I know this answer is even more off topic but enough is enough.

Do you have to be so damn demeaning Everytime someone says something you dont agree on?

Its making you very annoying. Learn some internet manners and stop try to make everybody who doesnt agree with you look stupid because the only one looking stupid is you.

Yeah, and frankly, I have no idea why we need yet another Therrien thread when all the conversations point back to him anyways.

Your right LM, It always points back to Therrien, and I know you mean when there are complaints... ;)

It never seems to point back to Therrien when the turn around in the team on the ice has been quite good since we drafted Galchenyuk when Bergevin took over.

Seems we have so many qualified NHL coaches and GM's on this board, that maybe Serge should have looked in here first, before even recommending Bergevin to Mr. Molson?

I'm one of the fans "quite satisfied" with the management team as a whole, and am quite proud of the character this team is showing, let alone the potential they have, under, yes Michel Therrien.

If they weren't sitting atop the standings, and so damn good in 5 on 5 play, and if we were languishing at the bottom of the league, then my positive view, and arguments for the coach, would make me look like an idiot, so therefore, since the team is what it is(damn good), what does a chronic "complain about nearly everything the coach does" guy look like at this point?

Yep, that's what I thought....

All hail friend from Sweden! Thank you sir.

Also, I tried to tell you guys what Gallant said, and what you got out of what I said blows my mind, misconstrue much? I maintain, Therrien isn't an idiot... that's all I'm saying.

Gallant, not me, said that Michel lets the assistants handle their department without much interference in what they want to do....

And you still blame Therrien.

What more do I need to say?

I know what more there is to say to you 30/31, but alas I can't say it here, condescend much?

Your first name Richard by any chance?

easy buddy, i think YOUR post was intentionally "demeaning" and over the top as well as off topic.

I stated in response, that the Bylsma cup win was not a case of just taking over an already dominant/winning team. He turned it around, Should i apologize for being correct in giving him credit?

I added a joke about Therriens bad timing in leaving.....ie the "Pete Best" comment... lol

Where the heck do you read anything "demeaning" in that??

If the poster I was responding to found that "demeaning" I sincerely apologize. It was not the intent of my post to "demean"

cheers

It was the crack about "Therrien's mom" that was demeaning. Clip those kinds of remarks from posts, and we can avoid this pattern of having threads get derailed by folks taking personal offence.

As for the question to hand, I'm sure coaching is a part of the problem on the PP (although I can't point to specific failings). That Gallagher is the only net-crasher on the team doesn't help either. However, I've seen teams have these sorts of problems many times over the years, and I believe a big part of it is simply confidence. It's like anything else in life: if you find yourself struggling at something, it can get in your head, and once that happens the problem tends to compound itself. I'll bet a lot of players on this team deep down just do not believe that they're going to score on the power-play. It becomes a self-perpetuating thing.

Your right LM, It always points back to Therrien, and I know you mean when there are complaints... ;)

It never seems to point back to Therrien when the turn around in the team on the ice has been quite good since we drafted Galchenyuk when Bergevin took over.

Seems we have so many qualified NHL coaches and GM's on this board, that maybe Serge should have looked in here first, before even recommending Bergevin to Mr. Molson?

I'm one of the fans "quite satisfied" with the management team as a whole, and am quite proud of the character this team is showing, let alone the potential they have, under, yes Michel Therrien.

If they weren't sitting atop the standings, and so damn good in 5 on 5 play, and if we were languishing at the bottom of the league, then my positive view, and arguments for the coach, would make me look like an idiot, so therefore, since the team is what it is(damn good), what does a chronic "complain about nearly everything the coach does" guy look like at this point?

Yep, that's what I thought....

All hail friend from Sweden! Thank you sir.

#THERRIENEVERYTHING!

Well here's a fresh perspective:

The PP stat that I'm concerned about is PPOs or "power play opportunities." How the heck are the Habs in 29th? They were 11th last year, with only a few opportunities separating then from the top-5.

Elliote Friedman wrote that the new diving rules are targeted at MTL. I think the Habs are getting squeezed, which is leading to less practice on the PP.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/team/_/stat/special-teams/sort/powerPlayOpportunities/year/2014

you coincidentally leave out when mentioning MT getting canned that gonchar the league leader in points at the time i think 3 years running was out all season! the penns struggled immensely because they didn't go out and get a schneider or a wiznewski or to a lesser extent MAB to help mitigate an extremely potent power play with gonchar as well as the guy that was logging 25+minutes a night on the top pair!!

So yes blysma came in and went 18-3 BUT it was at the exact same time gonchar returned from a 60 game injury!! who do you really think helped turn things around gonchar and his 60 points from the back end or the rookie Blysma who sat behind the bench and watched goncharset up a PP goal every night for the final 20 games of the season (pretty much) with malkin crosby and company... enough is enough... if your gonna make a point make it valid don't spit out part of the facts just to force feed your point....

remember how bad the habs are and were without markov and how there fortunes completely reversed the day he came back!!

also, you have galchenyuk eased into 1st line centre as everyone wanted just as his 20 year frame has started to really fill in, you have beaulieau after all is demotions and pressure to get minutes finally work his way into the top 4 just before christmas... we have older veteran defensive depth/ presence to help push younger guys like beaulieau and emelin to not take a night off, you have dead wood like bourque pushed out the door diplomatically in favour of more young legs in sekac, moen a very useful player to help change a bad "culture" pushed aside in favour of a hab heart through in through with Wiese and family. If you ask me this management team INCLUDING THE COACH has a real plan and handle on getting this team younger, faster, stronger and most importantly better. they're already a contender i do say again and are moving forward, doing it with small steps seemingly one after another... so outside of a powerplay that i have suggested should of been fixed already given the the assets at there disposal... things are actually looking really good. i am starting to rout for MT "the underdog" as it seems whoever is coaching the habs any given year even though they are winning and are a top 5/10 team in the league seem to be incompetent compared to the invisible better coach available!!

a couple points out of first led by the stingiest goalie in hockey and a team not yet firing on all cylinders especially without a PP. all this preceded by an ECF let down! not to shabby MT, not to shabby at all!!