Le genius and the power play

habs rule

Power play and Le Genius thread complainants reeaaalllyyy quiet in here today... :hyper:

Absolutely not, last night proves the importance of the P/P and the boys broke through in fine style. Let's hope that we can end this thread because the Power Play is back. I want this team to win, it is going to be a lot easier with a power play as last night proves.

No not quiet at all, Very happy. Last night just proves everything I have been saying. :1banana::habslogo:

Power play and Le Genius thread complainants reeaaalllyyy quiet in here today... :hyper:

well after MT finally made adjustments, ones that even the casual fan have been wondering loudly about for some time ...............i thought it was pretty good of the guys to resist the all to easy "I told you so" :rofl:

Watched the game but not particularly noted what was different on the powerplay.

I saw a lot of dump and chase, a lot of firing from the point (gonchar, Subban, Markov all tried).

What was so different other than the fact that the puck went in the net ?

Who carried the puck inside the zone most of the time ? Did we play more around the net than from the point ?

I'm not quite sure how harping on a bad powerplay all season equates to "i told you so". The team has been around the top of the standings all season long. In the pecking order of important things to work on in practice and the video room, the powerplay was likely towards the bottom of importance. It got to a point where it was god awful, so MT made it an important issue. So he addressed it, made adjustments, put the work in, and here we are. Now if only the haters could throw him a bone and say good job. I swear some people think that these professional hockey people don't know what's going on and they know better sitting in their lazy boy with a cold beer.

I'm not quite sure how harping on a bad powerplay all season equates to "i told you so". The team has been around the top of the standings all season long. In the pecking order of important things to work on in practice and the video room, the powerplay was likely towards the bottom of importance. It got to a point where it was god awful, so MT made it an important issue. So he addressed it, made adjustments, put the work in, and here we are. Now if only the haters could throw him a bone and say good job. I swear some people think that these professional hockey people don't know what's going on and they know better sitting in their lazy boy with a cold beer.

not the "harping" no However, literally some quotes on this site alone (never mind the local sports pub, gazette, boone, my gym, poker night etc :nuts: .....

but just from this site alone..............

"same powerplay every night, with the same guys trying the same thing it drives me insane" that one was i believe last week or two weeks ago.

"he never adjusts, try anything, something i dont care if it even works atleast it will be something different"

"doing the same thing over and over is the definition of insanity"

"try different guys its not like it could be any worse"

therrien did last night what these guys have been suggesting and all but begging for.

so not saying "i told you so" was cool, even though nobody could blame them if they had of said it. (which i just kinda did, but then again i'm not as mature as some of those guys) :halm:

GO HABS

Watched the game but not particularly noted what was different on the powerplay.

I saw a lot of dump and chase, a lot of firing from the point (gonchar, Subban, Markov all tried).

What was so different other than the fact that the puck went in the net ?

Who carried the puck inside the zone most of the time ? Did we play more around the net than from the point ?

Dont know, missed the game. yes it is a small sample size, but its a start. Was it just a one off and they go back to almost league worst pp? We will see. I would be ok with average middle of the pack 18 to 20 percent.

Dont know, missed the game. yes it is a small sample size, but its a start. Was it just a one off and they go back to almost league worst pp? We will see. I would be ok with average middle of the pack 18 to 20 percent.

I maintain that a lot of the PP is confidence. If they can score 1-2 more tonight on the PP, we'll probably start to see some real good momentum developing.

On the coaching thing, it's pretty clear that even if MT makes positive tweaks and the result is an effective PP over the second half, that will still be discounted by those who hate MT as coach. "He should have made those adjustments 20 games sooner! So it doesn't count!" But what are ya gonna do.

Another note: it would not surprise me at all if a rise in the effectiveness of the PP is accompanied by a reduction in the effectiveness of our scoring 5 on 5. There is no logical reason why it should be so, but I've seen that sort of thing happen before.

I maintain that a lot of the PP is confidence. If they can score 1-2 more tonight on the PP, we'll probably start to see some real good momentum developing.

On the coaching thing, it's pretty clear that even if MT makes positive tweaks and the result is an effective PP over the second half, that will still be discounted by those who hate MT as coach. "He should have made those adjustments 20 games sooner! So it doesn't count!" But what are ya gonna do.

Another note: it would not surprise me at all if a rise in the effectiveness of the PP is accompanied by a reduction in the effectiveness of our scoring 5 on 5. There is no logical reason why it should be so, but I've seen that sort of thing happen before.

Come on CC if the powerplay gets fixed I will say le Genius did good job, and I will move on to the item that needs to be fixed. :)

Like he said. The guys are singing an old song... "getting to know you".. What I saw was really good passing throughout the game, and ...maybe its just me.. but .. I thought MT said to the guys..you've been playing the system really well and its' been paying off for us, but I want you guys to remember that you are also talented individual players who can do stuff and play aggressively.so let your talent flow out there as you work the system.

They just seemed to be more alive individually while also passing and interacting more effectively. As CC points out.. there seemed to be lots of confidence out there in attacking, and this can set the stage for what should develop increasingly.

No, he does get credit for making the tweaks. With a nod to the guys I have met on here that suggested those tweaks many times.