Jan. 15, Montreal vs Ottawa, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

Yakapov will improve immensely as soon as he is dealt out if that abyss in Edmonton. I'd move DD and a first for him without blinking.

Yes was funny the clip of Yakupov floating around out of the zone, doing his best Pavel Bure impression, and Oil goalie catching puck and skating straight over to him and giving him a few choice words 'of advice.

Could better coaching even 'fix' him now? Or is it likely the KHL express train out of Alberta for him next fall?

Yakapov will improve immensely as soon as he is dealt out if that abyss in Edmonton. I'd move DD and a first for him without blinking.

I would agree with you before seeing him live. When it comes to what you can't see on TV (coverage, play without the puck, breakouts) Yakupov has the hockey sense of a five minute a night goon. He has a high level of skill, but that kind of floating will never translate to more than forty points a year in the NHL. He didn't even read the play before a line change. A couple of times the Panthers were on odd man rushes and he left the ice.

Let me put it this way, he's such a piece of crap Benoit Pouliot looked responsible next to him. Even if his shortcomings are because of Edmonton, there's no guarantee that will change on another team.

He's a bum amongst bums. They should get whatever they can for that guy, but after last night, I wouldn't trade him for DD.

There was another bum amongst bums named Sam Gagner.

25 year old forward, considered not good enough in Edmonton, tossed away as a salary dump where Edmonton never actually tried finding a replacement for him. Going to Arizona was supposed to be a fresh start and at first it looked like maybe he was just a bad player. No points in his first 6 games, his first 24 games he only put up 9 points.

Since December he has had 12 points in 19 games. A lot of the points have come in bunches but his game gets a little better as the months go by. He logs big minutes on a bad team. Looks better on the wing than at center.

I'm not saying Gagner is gonna go back to the 60-70 point forward he was early on in his career but he should be a good contributor on a rebuilding team in their top six in the future years. He's also a much better player defensively since leaving Edmonton. There's a lot of hope for Yakupov.

There was another bum amongst bums named Sam Gagner.

25 year old forward, considered not good enough in Edmonton, tossed away as a salary dump where Edmonton never actually tried finding a replacement for him. Going to Arizona was supposed to be a fresh start and at first it looked like maybe he was just a bad player. No points in his first 6 games, his first 24 games he only put up 9 points.

Since December he has had 12 points in 19 games. A lot of the points have come in bunches but his game gets a little better as the months go by. He logs big minutes on a bad team. Looks better on the wing than at center.

I'm not saying Gagner is gonna go back to the 60-70 point forward he was early on in his career but he should be a good contributor on a rebuilding team in their top six in the future years. He's also a much better player defensively since leaving Edmonton. There's a lot of hope for Yakupov.

Yakupov hasn't even hit those heights. He had 31 points in the lockout year and thirty-five since then.

Not hyperbole, buy a ticket to your nearest NHL game and witness the freak show: a number one pick who looks like Shawn Thornton without the puck.

Guest Stogey24

Yakupov hasn't even hit those heights. He had 31 points in the lockout year and thirty-five since then.

Not hyperbole, buy a ticket to your nearest NHL game and witness the freak show: a number one pick who looks like Shawn Thornton without the puck.

lol

what he had now three coaches....four? it aint the coaching, it aint even Edmonton...........hall, eberle, nugent they are not winning since they got to oil country but they dont stink the joint out like this guy, .....no looks like he does that all on his own.

what he had now three coaches....four? it aint the coaching, it aint even Edmonton...........hall, eberle, nugent they are not winning since they got to oil country but they dont stink the joint out like this guy, .....no looks like he does that all on his own.

IMO, it's a combination of all of this.

Perron : 5 goals in 38 games in EDM. 5 goals in 6 games in Pittsburgh. Bring up Crosby's name all you want, it remains shitty as hell in EDM.

Perron : 5 goals in 38 games in EDM. 5 goals in 6 games in Pittsburgh. Bring up Crosby's name all you want, it remains shitty as hell in EDM.

True enough. But look at Kunitz with crosby and without. Night and day. Hornquist , Dupuis same thing.

But for sure Edmonton would suck the life outta most players. Worst place for Yakopuv to start his career. Shows you how good Hall is though. Imagine him on the a decent well run club. Beast challenging for scoring lead.

Guest Stogey24

Edmonton has everything to do with players not reaching their potential. Yak is going to accelerate the minute he's leaves Edmonton. I'm praying Bergevin makes a move for him.

Edmonton has everything to do with players not reaching their potential. Yak is going to accelerate the minute he's leaves Edmonton. I'm praying Bergevin makes a move for him.

Me too, I think this kid will have the ability to put a lot of pucks in the net, and can be an elite scorer, and Habs need a winger like that.

Plus if you add the history with Galchenyuk, I believe he is worth gambling on...

Yak is the very worst (by a country mile) of the bunch of the guys not reaching potential. More to it than just the team he is on you would have to think.

Eberle Hall Hopkins oil could get a ton for in a trade. From what i hearing here, a bag of pucks is what they would get for yak

It was what I would call a 'barb' Mr.30/31.

You can post whatever you like; however if you want to take most stuff, spin it into constant stream of criticism of Habs, you are setting yourself up for bit (lot) of ridicule, fair enough? :nuts:

cheers

Have you actually watch oilers games??? The commentator have been all over Hall, for the same complaints of Yakapov - not back checking, lost without the puck, not making his teammates better.

Eberle sea to have regressed with each coach. Yakapov has spent a lot if time playing with

4th liners.

That is a team with lousy mgmt, lousy coaching and devoid of leadership - which I suppose is to be expected with captain malfunction leading the way.

How can Oilers be as bad as they are, seems criminal that they have been run into ground, bur guess Islanders, Panthers, Leafs and many also are similar and have had total maroons as managers (Millbury is first that comes to mind after Lowe).

The Oilers' situation is a hockey tragedy. Can you imagine being an Edmonton fan? This is what, their fourth consecutive failed rebuild? It's like living through the Houle Habs over and over and over, decade after decade. They must have made a Faustian bargain in return for those 1980s dynasties.

The Oilers' situation is a hockey tragedy. Can you imagine being an Edmonton fan? This is what, their fourth consecutive failed rebuild? It's like living through the Houle Habs over and over and over, decade after decade. They must have made a Faustian bargain in return for those 1980s dynasties.

The Oilers have succumbed to the " take the best player available lemonade". They should have realized that need figures in the picture at some point; starting with a goalie.

Succumbed? odd word, but very smart drafting strategy to go with BPA (Hall, Hopkins, Yakupov all solid picks and no one at draft day questioned any of those choices).

But, as an example of problems, someone pointed to Oil refusing to give up a 2nd round pick to Sens for Ben Bishop as one of a hundred missteps by Oil Mgmt.

But, as an example of problems, someone pointed to Oil refusing to give up a 2nd round pick to Sens for Ben Bishop as one of a hundred missteps by Oil Mgmt.

That was a report from Dreger a while back saying it was MacTavish who didn't want to offer a high enough draft pick for him. What he failed to realize before breaking that news is that when Ben Bishop was traded, MacTavish wasn't the GM.

Guest Stogey24

Succumbed? odd word, but very smart drafting strategy to go with BPA (Hall, Hopkins, Yakupov all solid picks and no one at draft day questioned any of those choices).

Succumed is an odd word?

Obviously no one questioned those picks. They were top of their class.