NY Islanders at Montreal Canadiens | January 17th, 2015 | 1900EST

lazy26

Yes he is criticized for each and every move he makes, no offense but not sure any armchair coach could squeeze more out of this roster.

But grass is always greener I suppose; he should stick with same lines, but change up PP more often..why dosent he stick with lines for longer, but of course should have different guys playing with each other, so a tweek or three is needed, but not so often, why cant he be more patient and let a line develop chemistry and work their way though dry stretches, should use more rookies, why does he have any rookies playing in OT or vs a top line, why would he play top d-man top minutes, why use a top defensive forward on important faceoffs etc etc, he cant even walk and chew gum at same time, what a maroon!.

Is quite endless and mindnumbing how many wrong moves he can make and still actually have a winning team? I know I know..just wait till playoffs and watch them fold because of stupid tactics/strategies. :rastapop::bonk::cry_smile:

Yes he is criticized for each and every move he makes, no offense but not sure any armchair coach could squeeze more out of this roster.

But grass is always greener I suppose; he should stick with same lines, but change up PP more often..why dosent he stick with lines for longer, but of course should have different guys playing with each other, so a tweek or three is needed, but not so often, why cant he be more patient and let a line develop chemistry and work their way though dry stretches, should use more rookies, why does he have any rookies playing in OT or vs a top line, why would he play top d-man top minutes, why use a top defensive forward on important faceoffs etc etc, he cant even walk and chew gum at same time, what a maroon!.

Is quite endless and mindnumbing how many wrong moves he can make and still actually have a winning team? I know I know..just wait till playoffs and watch them fold because of stupid tactics/strategies. :rastapop::bonk::cry_smile:

thats hockey buddy 15 to 20 other teams that are "winning" too, just chatter on how to beat them. Sorry to offend you.

"he is criticized for every move he makes"

kind of like you on NB

Boy it has gotten sad, you can't even suggest that Le Genius is less than perfect, cause out come the defenders. There are a lot of people who get paid to observe Hockey games and they have no idea what his system is, you can use the old cliche's but really what is it? Hope Price keeps you in the game till you get a goal? Eric Engels is a guy i enjoy reading, a smart hockey man. He really doesn't understand Le Genius plan. You guys see something a lot of us don't, at least not in the traditional way. I am very happy with the results, I worry about how we got them. Maybe he has a real solid system that works. I hope so. :habslogo:

Speaking only for myself, I come to his defense because:

The haters act like he is an incompetent buffoon, which is not the case.

The defenders can also say when he makes a bad decision, compared to the haters who will NEVER say he made a good decision.

Defenders are merely results based, and will turn on him as soon as he fails. Haters will be saying I told you so when he does.

Haters don't have any logic in their argument. The team is successful DESPITE MT, when the team plays bad it is BECAUSE of MT.

Yet another thread that goes down the MT path of destruction. It's always the same two frequent posters that stir it up, meanwhile the rest of us are biting our lip until we have to chime in.

• Upvote 3

The defenders can also say when he makes a bad decision, compared to the haters who will NEVER say he made a good decision.

Defenders are merely results based, and will turn on him as soon as he fails. Haters will be saying I told you so when he does.

Haters don't have any logic in their argument. The team is successful DESPITE MT, when the team plays bad it is BECAUSE of MT.

Yet another thread that goes down the MT path of destruction. It's always the same two frequent posters that stir it up, meanwhile the rest of us are biting our lip until we have to chime in.

Pretty much.

I'm done trying to explain obvious, simple stuff or justifying the stance that I think Therrien is a good coach but not a great one. It doesn't get through. Everything has to be hyperbole for some. Every thread has someone throwing a tantrum about how you can't say anything bad just because someone disagrees with their Peter Griffin "You know what really grinds me gears?" rant. I just don't see the posts unless they are quoted anymore.

Boy it has gotten sad, you can't even suggest that Le Genius is less than perfect, cause out come the defenders. There are a lot of people who get paid to observe Hockey games and they have no idea what his system is, you can use the old cliche's but really what is it? Hope Price keeps you in the game till you get a goal? Eric Engels is a guy i enjoy reading, a smart hockey man. He really doesn't understand Le Genius plan. You guys see something a lot of us don't, at least not in the traditional way. I am very happy with the results, I worry about how we got them. Maybe he has a real solid system that works. I hope so. :habslogo:

There are definitely some things the coaching staff can do better and definitely things they have done wrong. If any of us were behind the bench, we would make mistakes as well. Since this is a fact, the question becomes whether or not the coach is capable of learning from his mistakes. When analyzing the team, my main purpose isn't to focus on Therrien. With that being said, for the most part, as cliche as it sounds, I think Therrien has definitely learned from the mistakes he made in his first tenure here with the Habs and has changed as a coach in his second tenure with the Habs. There were some people who weren't happy with his signing because of his first stint with us, but I think this shouldn't come into the equation much at all when assessing the current club and its coach.

On to the present. I think for the most part on this board, at least the vocal ones, there are actually probably about 20% who genuinely love him, 30% who despise him and then 50% who think he's decent but not any better than another 10-20 other coaches in the league. These numbers are somewhat arbitrary and perhaps interchangeable (let's say it's 25-50-25) but the main points are that first of all, there are very few Therrien "lovers" or "haters". So if you think you're fighting the masses, on either side, you're really not. I will agree that say those numbers are correct, then most people (70%) probably give Therrien the benefit of the doubt rather than attack him right away and so this might add to the thought process that so many people adore him.

When it comes to Therrien on the current club, I think many would agree that there are things he has done which have been questionable. As stated, all coaches make mistakes. I think it is one thing to call out the coach for doing something wrong but I think it is another to not even allow him the benefit of the doubt and see whether or not the coach will learn from his mistakes. There is a difference between reading "Therrien is a moron for reason *A*" 25 different times by the same poster without ever hearing them give him credit for other areas and someone who may insinuate that the team is lacking in an area that the coach is responsible for without specifically reminding the reader of the coach's name. I guess it comes down to tone. I think Don does make a very good point that the coach is with the players in person and is certainly aware of many of the same things people love to complain about. Not only that, he might agree with many of the things that are discussed.

So far, what I have seen is a coach who has learned from his first tenure. Now on his second stint he has certainly been better but has had to face a different league and therefore has made some different questionable calls and mistakes, if you want to call them that. What I continue to see is that he has made adjustments on pretty much every topic, or at least most of the topics that he has been criticized for this year. Could he be seeing eye to eye with some of those who question his decisions? The one thing I don't like is the constant line juggling, so like I said, everyone has their qualms. But I do believe that there are certainly benefits to having almost everyone familiar with playing with each other for the playoffs and I also give Therrien the benefit of the doubt that he will stop the juggling within the next couple of months and start allowing a few lines to develop some real chemistry. After all, he had to try Galy at center. Long story short, he's earned trust among fans and deservedly so.

There are definitely some things the coaching staff can do better and definitely things they have done wrong. If any of us were behind the bench, we would make mistakes as well. Since this is a fact, the question becomes whether or not the coach is capable of learning from his mistakes. When analyzing the team, my main purpose isn't to focus on Therrien. With that being said, for the most part, as cliche as it sounds, I think Therrien has definitely learned from the mistakes he made in his first tenure here with the Habs and has changed as a coach in his second tenure with the Habs. There were some people who weren't happy with his signing because of his first stint with us, but I think this shouldn't come into the equation much at all when assessing the current club and its coach.

On to the present. I think for the most part on this board, at least the vocal ones, there are actually probably about 20% who genuinely love him, 30% who despise him and then 50% who think he's decent but not any better than another 10-20 other coaches in the league. These numbers are somewhat arbitrary and perhaps interchangeable (let's say it's 25-50-25) but the main points are that first of all, there are very few Therrien "lovers" or "haters". So if you think you're fighting the masses, on either side, you're really not. I will agree that say those numbers are correct, then most people (70%) probably give Therrien the benefit of the doubt rather than attack him right away and so this might add to the thought process that so many people adore him.

When it comes to Therrien on the current club, I think many would agree that there are things he has done which have been questionable. As stated, all coaches make mistakes. I think it is one thing to call out the coach for doing something wrong but I think it is another to not even allow him the benefit of the doubt and see whether or not the coach will learn from his mistakes. There is a difference between reading "Therrien is a moron for reason *A*" 25 different times by the same poster without ever hearing them give him credit for other areas and someone who may insinuate that the team is lacking in an area that the coach is responsible for without specifically reminding the reader of the coach's name. I guess it comes down to tone. I think Don does make a very good point that the coach is with the players in person and is certainly aware of many of the same things people love to complain about. Not only that, he might agree with many of the things that are discussed.

So far, what I have seen is a coach who has learned from his first tenure. Now on his second stint he has certainly been better but has had to face a different league and therefore has made some different questionable calls and mistakes, if you want to call them that. What I continue to see is that he has made adjustments on pretty much every topic, or at least most of the topics that he has been criticized for this year. Could he be seeing eye to eye with some of those who question his decisions? The one thing I don't like is the constant line juggling, so like I said, everyone has their qualms. But I do believe that there are certainly benefits to having almost everyone familiar with playing with each other for the playoffs and I also give Therrien the benefit of the doubt that he will stop the juggling within the next couple of months and start allowing a few lines to develop some real chemistry. After all, he had to try Galy at center. Long story short, he's earned some trust among fans.

Well put.

Not a lover of Therrien, just more cant understand the constant negativity in every move or option he chooses.

Not that much isnt somewhat debatable, but when obviously successful for long time now, what leg does the other end of spectrum have to stand on, other than Price is only reason for winning or winning in spite of head coach, or will fail sooner or later...just watch, which seems one darn weak argument for a 'habfan' to make, for a Leaf fan is totally to be expected but...

But, again I say if all agreed would be darn boring and all entitled to opinion (but if not same as mine is wrong :tumbleweed: )

Well...good defences of MT in the last few posts, and I agree with them. The idea that MT has no system strikes me as bizarre. This team plays a well-structured game with lots of puck support. I've seen teams with no game-plan, or who have tuned the coach out, and this is not one of them. Players know what they are supposed to be doing and mostly try to do it. The team is very good in the neutral zone especially. Adjustments get made too slowly for many around here, but they do get made, and they are often successful when implemented (e.g., look at the PP and lineup tweaks lately). When we get into trouble is in our own end, when players fail to implement instructions (getting caught out of position, etc.). Part of that has to do with mobility issues, and I'm quite confident it's not because MT has offered no defensive structure.

None of this is to say that MT is brilliant. Just that he's offering credible coaching and he has buy-in for what he is selling.

I don't know how many times I've heard the TV commentators this year remarking on the Habs as a well-coached team. Now Mike Johnson, etc., aren't the be-all and end-all, but when you hear numerous insiders and pros making the same kind of comment over and over, that probably suggests that unblinkered observers with no particular axes to grind are onto something.

Well said. Another thing the defenders are able to do is to say that Therrien isn't the greatest coach in NHL History! He isn't even the besst coach in the NHL today...but he isn,t an idiot either. He is clearly a better coach than he was 15 years ago in his first stint in Montreal, and he has shown that he can learn from his previous mistakes (which is more than we can say for alot of current NHL Coaches). IN the end, I think Therrien is a good coach, not the best coach, but one that should reap some of the praises and rewards that come with being a top 5-6 team in the NHL.

Well said. Another thing the defenders are able to do is to say that Therrien isn't the greatest coach in NHL History! He isn't even the besst coach in the NHL today...but he isn,t an idiot either. He is clearly a better coach than he was 15 years ago in his first stint in Montreal, and he has shown that he can learn from his previous mistakes (which is more than we can say for alot of current NHL Coaches). IN the end, I think Therrien is a good coach, not the best coach, but one that should reap some of the praises and rewards that come with being a top 5-6 team in the NHL.

Dont know anybody who hates therrien. Thats has been stated several times but the therrien defenders call them haters. lol

by the same token you guys must be therrien lovers.

Here ya go MT lovers i "defend" my opinion and fans like HR and all the others who happen to know the habs could do better in the coaching department. Untill then he will have to do. Heck tbay won with Torts, the habs won with Bob Berry, ............ habs may just win with mt....................but i highly doubt it.

if thats too harsh for the MT lovers, try to refrain from using the word "MT haters" over and over and over. :nuts::surrender:

Here ya go MT lovers i "defend" my opinion and fans like HR and all the others who happen to know think the habs could do better in the coaching department.

Fixed that for ya.... :thumbs_up:

That is my final word on this subject. I posted it again cause none of you understood it the first time.

I'm not nearly competent enough or knowledgable enough to know a good coach from a bad coach. I hear Montreal has one of the best rooms in the NHL. That is a really good sign to me. And I think the right moves, or at least good moves are generally made , but within the timeframes that NHL professional players can live with as reasonable. I wanted Allen gone after his second stride. MB and MT were much wiser and circumspect. The Pens with Crosby, Malkin and Letang.. don't have a powerplay. Crosby can't score on the PP.

I think its pretty easy to think like a fan. And most of us are also working out of our own pschological - philosophical set piece. (You don

't wanna know... :blush: ). Coaches are easy targets. Of course we rely on Price too much. That's why he's there! And you can't just dance players around as the intuition strikes you. They are adult professionals. They have to be respected... or you have one cold room to get dressed in. I can't imagine how tough it must be to coach and manage an NHL team .. even God's favorite team.

Did I mention how grateful I am to mom and dad, Jean Beliveau, the ghosts of the forum and the good Lord above that I have been spared growing up a Leaf fan?? I didn't?? Well , I am now.

Count your blessings boys, count your blessings. :hyper:

• Upvote 1

Been a hab fans for over forty years. Do not need to imagine how it would be to be a leaf fans in order to appreciate my team.

Habs fans are the most pleased fans of all. Having said that a ton of us are just not used going over two decades without attending a stanley cup finals game. So we harp on how to get better, (and better and then when get better, we try to get better than that) . Always looking for ways to improve. Comes from growing up while your team is a dynasty. Expectations. And its fun. :thumbs_up:

GO HABS

Been a hab fans for over forty years. Do not need to imagine how it would be to be a leaf fans in order to appreciate my team.

Habs fans are the most pleased fans of all. Having said that a ton of us are just not used going over two decades without attending a stanley cup finals game. So we harp on how to get better, (and better and then when get better, we try to get better than that) . Always looking for ways to improve. Comes from growing up while your team is a dynasty. Expectations. And its fun. :thumbs_up:

GO HABS

Ya.. it really is fun isn't it. How dull would winter get without les boys to cheer and jeer at :hyper:

Did I mention how grateful I am to mom and dad, Jean Beliveau, the ghosts of the forum and the good Lord above that I have been spared growing up a Leaf fan?? I didn't?? Well , I am now.

My best friend when I was like five introduced me to hockey. He was a Leafs fan. I then went home and asked my dad about hockey. He told me more and promised to show me how to play. I then asked what team I should cheer for and how my friend was a Toronto fan. My dad replied, "Son, this is a Montreal Canadiens household." And that was that.

• Upvote 1

I'm not nearly competent enough or knowledgable enough to know a good coach from a bad coach. I hear Montreal has one of the best rooms in the NHL. That is a really good sign to me. And I think the right moves, or at least good moves are generally made , but within the timeframes that NHL professional players can live with as reasonable. I wanted Allen gone after his second stride. MB and MT were much wiser and circumspect. The Pens with Crosby, Malkin and Letang.. don't have a powerplay. Crosby can't score on the PP.

I think its pretty easy to think like a fan. And most of us are also working out of our own pschological - philosophical set piece. (You don

't wanna know... :blush: ). Coaches are easy targets. Of course we rely on Price too much. That's why he's there! And you can't just dance players around as the intuition strikes you. They are adult professionals. They have to be respected... or you have one cold room to get dressed in. I can't imagine how tough it must be to coach and manage an NHL team .. even God's favorite team.

Great post. Some say there is hell on earth, if that is true then we can understand why we have Leafs fans.Somebody has to be in hell.

My best friend when I was like five introduced me to hockey. He was a Leafs fan. I then went home and asked my dad about hockey. He told me more and promised to show me how to play. I then asked what team I should cheer for and how my friend was a Toronto fan. My dad replied, "Son, this is a Montreal Canadiens household." And that was that.

Pretty much same here. Watched my dad so stressed out that he had to leave the room during the 1977 playoffs. Cheering for anyone else was not an option. 1978 regular season, my uncle actually lost his mind and threw a TV off his sundeck over a bad call. Being five years old and seeing that was quite a treat. That is true love of a team. Hahaha.

Pretty much the same for me. I come from a long line of Montreal Canadiens fans. The only team allowed on TV was the habs. The leafs could be if they played the Habs. Fifty years later and I pretty much feel the same way. I only cheer for the Habs and of course whoever is beating the leafs. Guy leaves the team and I no longer care what happens to them... best of luck now get the fork out. After all this time and having watched the best teams in history win cups like it was our devine right, sometimes i probably get a little carried away. :habslogo:

• Upvote 1

Pretty much same here. Watched my dad so stressed out that he had to leave the room during the 1977 playoffs. Cheering for anyone else was not an option. 1978 regular season, my uncle actually lost his mind and threw a TV off his sundeck over a bad call. Being five years old and seeing that was quite a treat. That is true love of a team. Hahaha.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I can identify ! thanks for sharing that

Pretty much the same for me. I come from a long line of Montreal Canadiens fans. The only team allowed on TV was the habs. The leafs could be if they played the Habs. Fifty years later and I pretty much feel the same way. I only cheer for the Habs and of course whoever is beating the leafs. Guy leaves the team and I no longer care what happens to them... best of luck now get the fork out. After all this time and having watched the best teams in history win cups like it was our devine right, sometimes i probably get a little carried away. :habslogo:

me too ! but would not have it any other way !