Habs to Play in Another Outdoor Game

Habsfan84

Winter Classic old guys game

Boston Bruins

Coaches: Don Cherry, Mike Milbury, Eddie Bucyk, John Sanford

Players: PJ Axelsson, Bob Beers, Ray Bourque, Rob DiMaio, Tom Fergus, Hal Gill (TRAITOR!), Steve Heinze, Al Iafrate, Brian Leetch (please), Reggie Lemelin, Ken Linseman, Rick Midleton, Jay Miller, Cam Neely, Terry O'Reilly, Andrew Raycroft (no seriously), Mark Recchi (TRAITOR!), Sergei Samsonov (TRA... nevermind), Marco Sturm, Bob Don and Tim Sweeney, Glen Wesley

Montreal Canadiens

Coaches: Yvan Cournoyer, Jacques Demers, Guy Lafleur

Players: Donald Audette, Benoit Brunet, Patrice Brisebois, Guy Carbonneau, Gilbert Delorme, Eric Desjardins, Normand Dupont (who?), Gaston Gingras, Rick Green, Mike Keane, Alex Kovalev, Sergio Momesso, Mats Naslund, Chris Nilan, Lyle Odelein, Oleg Petrov, Stephane Quintal, Stephane Richer, Larry Robinson, Richard Sevingny, Steve Shutt, Jose Theodore

Any idea which players (if any) from our squad spent time in Boston as well?

This game just might be more entertaining than the all star game.

I always like Keane.

Gah! Keane, who we had to 'throw in' to sweeten the pot in order to prise those studs Ruscinsky, Kovalenko, and Thibault out of Colorado. Because, y'know, the Greatest Goalie of All Time was insufficient return for those turds. GAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keane was probably happy to leave anyway. He dared to wear to 'C' without speaking French. :bonk:

Gah! Keane, who we had to 'throw in' to sweeten the pot in order to prise those studs Ruscinsky, Kovalenko, and Thibault out of Colorado. Because, y'know, the Greatest Goalie of All Time was insufficient return for those turds. GAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keane was probably happy to leave anyway. He dared to wear to 'C' without speaking French. :bonk:

I feel your pain . :wall:

I feel your pain . :wall:

Indeed. From about 1995 to 2008, it was hardly anything EXCEPT pain in habsland - notwithstanding a couple of nice playoff upsets of the Bruins. I still can't think about that era without wincing, and a couple of guys in the old-timers' lineup listed above bring up little more than painful memories. I mean, Oleg Petrov...ugh.

Indeed. From about 1995 to 2008, it was hardly anything EXCEPT pain in habsland - notwithstanding a couple of nice playoff upsets of the Bruins. I still can't think about that era without wincing, and a couple of guys in the old-timers' lineup listed above bring up little more than painful memories. I mean, Oleg Petrov...ugh.

Ouch. They were tough years.

The lone redeeming part of those years is Saku Koivu.

I loved every second of that guy in a habs uniform.

I stopped watching NHL at one point, slowly got back into it because of Theodore (and I was a big Marleau fan).

The post-lockout Habs were a tough watch but I fell for the kids like Higgins and Komisarek. Had high hopes for Latendresse, Gorges and Price. I was one of the few Habs fans hoping for the team to blow up after 08-09 and get rid of all of the veterans.

I too loved Saku. Only bright spots I can recall? The line of Corson, Koivu, Riecchi ripping it up in 97/98. They were all three in the top ten scorers when Saku blew his knee out. The first in a slew of injuries for the heart and soul player. The year we lost to the canes in 06. We were leading that series 2-0 when in game 3 Saku had his eye taken out by Justin Williams on a wreck less high stick. Gone for the year. That Canes team that we were on the verge of taking out, went on to beat some mediocre teams and win the cup. I always liked Markov through those lean years as well. Theadore for a short stint. I vaguely remember beating the Pens in a play off series where Any Moog was in net for the Habs. (98 or 99 I think)

Habs missed the play offs for 4 outta 5 years then hired Gainey. Then we made the play offs the next 4 outta 5 years.

Here we are now.

Been a long road to contending again.

MB and Gainey combined in putting this contender together.

Bout %$&$!# time!

What do you mean ugh?! Petrov was a great little player...never had the hands to go with those great wheels though.

Save the ugh for Enrico Chiccone(sp) Trent McCleary, Igor Ulanov, Kovalenko, Murray Baron and the rest of the duds, rejects and never-weres that Houle the fool inflicted on the CH. Oh Christ....and I had those memories so nicely repressed...Why did you guys bring that era up again, Why?! and Why am I wasting time replying about it? WHY?!

• Upvote 1

What do you mean ugh?! Petrov was a great little player...never had the hands to go with those great wheels though.

Save the ugh for Enrico Chiccone(sp) Trent McCleary, Igor Ulanov, Kovalenko, Murray Baron and the rest of the duds, rejects and never-weres that Houle the fool inflicted on the CH. Oh Christ....and I had those memories so nicely repressed...Why did you guys bring that era up again, Why?! and Why am I wasting time replying about it? WHY?!

Petrov was the kind of guy that gets ice time on a piece-of-crap team, IMHO. I always found it telling that he couldn't crack the roster on his first go-around under Pat Burns, when we were contenders, but under Houle he comes back and is a top-6 C. Oy.

But anyway, you're right! Best not to think about all this. I suppose it's a natural human response to trauma to want to revisit what you went through every now and again, if only to reassure yourself that those times are over.

DON - count your lucky stars, brother. You have no idea what it was like to have Andreas Dackell and a washed-up Joe Juneau represent a quantum leap forward in your team's overall talent level. :cry_smile: Or Patrick Poulin! Remember Patrick Poulin??!!?? Arrrrrrrgggh

Lol, Poulin was carved outta steel, but couldn't play hockey.

I try not to dwell on those bad seasons, I always considered it paying dues for my euphoria of the 70's.

Watched the Habs win in 79 from a hospital bed in Halifax after a motor cycle accident(you could smoke cigarettes in your hospital room back then, talk about putting a date on yourself), and then after that my first crushing blow from reality was when Dryden retired...oh the downward spiral from that lofty pedestal!

Ahh, those bad days are gone for now, and just like in '86, and '93, I can feel the good times coming again, I'm going to relish the talent level we have now, and salute Mr. Gainey for our core.

89 was good year also, just darn Lanny MacDonald and Gilmore ruined it in the end!

Yep, except I had actually had enough of the team under Burns, and getting that far and just not scoring enough was a sad day in Habs history, although Calgary had a wicked team, one for the ages really that year.

Yep, except I had actually had enough of the team under Burns, and getting that far and just not scoring enough was a sad day in Habs history, although Calgary had a wicked team, one for the ages really that year.

If I remember the 89 Finals, Mats Naslund was really neutralized by that hulking Flames blueline. That was, basically, the difference.

The difference was Roy flinching every time Mccinnis wound up for his slap shot and Gilmour earning his killer nickname.

If I remember the 89 Finals, Mats Naslund was really neutralized by that hulking Flames blueline. That was, basically, the difference.