Galchenyuk's new contract.

Dalhabs

You don't think he would accept a Gallagher type deal (with maybe touch more cash)

I just think it's the situation where, as Dbalr said, both sides will be looking for a shorter term, a bridge for the Habs, 'cause that's been their policy on high potential guys all along, and for Galchenyuk, because he can maximize his future money..,.

You don't think he would accept a Gallagher type deal (with maybe touch more cash)

For him to take a Gallagher-type deal (6 years), it's at least $5.5 M per, likely a bit higher so it wouldn't be just a 'touch more' cash involved. No one thinks Gallagher is a future 70 point player, pretty much everyone would acknowledge he's a 40-ish point player and that's that. With Galchenyuk, that much higher ceiling would drag the cost up considerably.

Would love to see him cut his teeth and be aloud to learn how to play center. One way to learn how to play center..........play there. If we had a number one center i would could live with the coach leaving him on wing for four or five seasons, learning.

Would love to see him cut his teeth and be aloud to learn how to play center. One way to learn how to play center..........play there. If we had a number one center i would could live with the coach leaving him on wing for four or five seasons, learning.

He told Therrien he wasn't comfortable there, right now I don't think his heart isn't in it.

He likely dosent like losing faceoffs and is maybe a bit lost defending in own zone? Don't think is a big hurry, not sure why many seem so sure he should play centre and struggle right now?

Maybe Bergevin simply cant stand seeing him getting run over and pasted along the boards neither, while at centre? Whereas on the wing he can be more a hitter than the target? :blush:

not sure why many seem so sure he should play centre and struggle right now?

Maybe Bergevin simply cant stand seeing him getting run over and pasted along the boards neither, while at centre? Whereas on the wing he can be more a hitter than the target? :blush:

I think that may very well be a lot of it right there Don...

He likely dosent like losing faceoffs and is maybe a bit lost defending in own zone? Don't think is a big hurry, not sure why many seem so sure he should play centre and struggle right now?

The experience at center this year was very good for him. One just has to look at how often Tyler Seguin moved from wing to center. Last year he wasn't an 82 game center yet. He looks to be one now and he's flying. He's also only 22 and Galchenyuk is only 20. Galchenyuk will get there. He's smart enough already to see where his ability is best utilized and talk to the coach about it instead of being stubborn.

Habs will have upwards of 14 mil in cap space next year(after Gonchar + Allen's contracts expire, plus the cap increase to 72 m) How many guys have to be re-signed, and about how much money will be left over for free agents?

I don't think it's a given the cap is going to increase to $72m.

The cdn$ is now under 80 cents and there is no gaurantee the nhlpa will invoke the 5% escalator.

Habs will have upwards of 14 mil in cap space next year(after Gonchar + Allen's contracts expire, plus the cap increase to 72 m) How many guys have to be re-signed, and about how much money will be left over for free agents?

Summer of 2015

UFA: Manny Malhotra, Sergei Gonchar, Mike Weaver, Bryan Allen, Joey MacDonald, Davis Drewiske

RFA: Alex Galchenyuk, Michael Bournival, Christian Thomas, Gabe Dumont, Nathan Beaulieu, Jarred Tinordi, Eric Tangradi, Drayson Bowman, Magnus Nygren, Mike Condon, Morgan Ellis

I think the number is close to $10M free from UFAs. Not sure Allen's exact cap hit number.

Summer of 2016

UFA: Tomas Plekanec, PAP, Brandon Prust, Dale Weise, Tom Gilbert

RFA: Jiri Sekac, Dustin Tokarski, Sven Andrighetto, Dan Carr, Darren Dietz, Mac Bennett, Jack Nevins, Stefan Fournier, Greg Pateryn

A little over $15M coming off the cap that year from UFA

Thanks MOLG. With the roster we have, the young studs coming up, and the potential to improve upon it next year and in 2016-17 via free agency, I'd say that we can start holding our breath for that elusive SC. We are close as it is, can you imagine how much stronger we're going to be? MB's contract management is pure genius

Thanks MOLG. With the roster we have, the young studs coming up, and the potential to improve upon it next year and in 2016-17 via free agency, I'd say that we can start holding our breath for that elusive SC. We are close as it is, can you imagine how much stronger we're going to be? MB's contract management is pure genius

Clearing Bourque and Gorges was incredible. That's $7M tied up in a weak top four D and weak top nine forward that can go to absolutely anything else.

I don't think it's a given the cap is going to increase to $72m.

The cdn$ is now under 80 cents and there is no gaurantee the nhlpa will invoke the 5% escalator.

I agree with hab29. With the Canadian Dollar under 80 cents, my guess is that IF the salary cap increases, it'll be by 1 million$ at the most. I'm expecting a cap of about 70 million$

• 2 weeks later...

As far as where Chucky should be playing, I'll admit that I'm one of those people who would love to se Chucky become that Big First line Center the Habs have been looking for ever since we traded Damphousse. However, I understand that there's no real need to rush Alex. Let him take his time and get comfortable on the wing, and when he'll be ready, we can move him to center.

As far as where Chucky should be playing, I'll admit that I'm one of those people who would love to se Chucky become that Big First line Center the Habs have been looking for ever since we traded Damphousse. However, I understand that there's no real need to rush Alex. Let him take his time and get comfortable on the wing, and when he'll be ready, we can move him to center.

MT simply cant play him third line center, and he wont put him ahead of pleks and dd. It has nothing to do with AG being "uncomfortable at center" Go to the interview he confidently states he is comfortable either way, but wants to play center. Whats he gonna do, bock like kessel did when asked to play the other wing for leafs. Nah

MT simply cant play him third line center, and he wont put him ahead of pleks and dd. It has nothing to do with AG being "uncomfortable at center" Go to the interview he confidently states he is comfortable either way, but wants to play center. Whats he gonna do, bock like kessel did when asked to play the other wing for leafs. Nah

Actually, AG is the one who asked Therrien to send him back to the wing...

Summer of 2015

UFA: Manny Malhotra, Sergei Gonchar, Mike Weaver, Bryan Allen, Joey MacDonald, Davis Drewiske

RFA: Alex Galchenyuk, Michael Bournival, Christian Thomas, Gabe Dumont, Nathan Beaulieu, Jarred Tinordi, Eric Tangradi, Drayson Bowman, Magnus Nygren, Mike Condon, Morgan Ellis

I think the number is close to $10M free from UFAs. Not sure Allen's exact cap hit number.

Summer of 2016

UFA: Tomas Plekanec, PAP, Brandon Prust, Dale Weise, Tom Gilbert

RFA: Jiri Sekac, Dustin Tokarski, Sven Andrighetto, Dan Carr, Darren Dietz, Mac Bennett, Jack Nevins, Stefan Fournier, Greg Pateryn

A little over $15M coming off the cap that year from UFA

Yea thanks MOLG. That does look as though the habs are well situated. Great job by MB

Actually, AG is the one who asked Therrien to send him back to the wing...

Interview i saw with Chucky at the time he was switched back suggested other wise.

Bit off-topic as he is a prospect but all HabFans should check out;

Galchenyuk jr. aka Scherbak had a wicked goal last night on Comrie/Tri-city team, if you want to get pumped about him turning pro later this year, check out the video on youtube.

Nikita Scherbak Amazing Goal vs Tri-City.