Arizona Coyotes at Montreal Canadiens | February 1st, 2015 | 1300 EST

lazy26

Guest Stogey24

I won't even start an argument about Sekac being a superior offensive threat than Weise.... I'm pretty surprised you guys feel that way about Weise actually

I think you're being pretty quick to dismiss Forsburg, who is the front runner for the rookie of the year and is out scoring Galchenyuk.

Galchenyuk on pace for 25g 57pts.

He and Trouba looking like best of 2012 top ten picks, to date.

That's because there is nothing to compare. It would be like comparing Claude Lemieux to Brent gilchrist - which CBC actually did when Gilchrist was first called up.

I won't even start an argument about Sekac being a superior offensive threat than Weise.... I'm pretty surprised you guys feel that way about Weise actually

I think you're being pretty quick to dismiss Forsburg, who is the front runner for the rookie of the year and is out scoring Galchenyuk.

Forsberg wasnt a top 10 pick.

Forsberg @ #11 is also top notch

Love his release, he seems to get shots off quickly and dosent pass up opprotunity to shoot. He was one of my favourites for 3rd pick back then, surprised he dropped to 11 and shocked Caps traded him away so quick.

He's been injured but Murray is looking like he'll be an excellent defencemen and definitely the best available defenceman of the draft.

2012 will go down as a solid first round. Not great, not weak, but solid. There's probably 10 top six forwards (Galchenyuk, Yakupov, Forsberg, Girgensons, Wilson, Teurovainen, Hertl, Pearson, Samuelsson and either Faksa or Grigerenko), five or six top four defencemen (Murray, Reilly, Reinhart, Trouba, Maata) and two 1A/1B goalies (Vasilevski, Subban).

No way I would call Murray best d-man.

Trouba is easily the best to date, Reilly looks darn good on crap team and Reinhart like Murray have yet to get started, so unproven.

Give them all 3 years more before can even take a stab at which was 'best' choice, not like forwards and much more to learn at NHL level for d-men.

He was ranked in the top 5 and fell down as a gift to the caps. That idiot McPhee of course gave him away.

Forsberg wasnt a top 10 pick.

Why because he is having a breakout year and is 17th in scoring?

I suppose, but most of those taken before him may be darn good in the end also? Other than maybe Yakupov & Dumba, even Hampus Lindholm had 30pt rookie year as d-man and Pouliot, Reinhart, Reilly, Galchenyuk, Trouba, Murray all likely to be solid players now/down the road.

Points by draft year. (2012) Forsberg has one good half season on a hot line on a hot team. He has a ways to go before catching up with Galchenyuk. He reminds me of Tomas Hertl last year.

Round Num. Drafted By Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM Last Season
1 3 Montreal Alex Galchenyuk C Sarnia Sting [OHL] 165 37 55 92 67 2014-15
1 1 Edmonton Nail Yakupov R Sarnia Sting [OHL] 164 33 35 68 74 2014-15
1 11 Washington Filip Forsberg C Leksands IF [swe-1] 71 19 35 54 18 2014-15
1 6 Anaheim Hampus Lindholm D Rogle BK [swe-1] 131 11 42 53 56 2014-15
1 14 Buffalo Zemgus Girgensons C Dubuque Fighting Saints [uSHL] 124 22 26 48 35 2014-15

I would take forsberg over all of them.

In his first nhl season his coach has no problem playing him at center.

Well... he was playing on the wing lately along with Ribs at C.

Guest Stogey24

I would take forsberg over all of them.

In his first nhl season his coach has no problem playing him at center.

Galcheyuk is the full package; sick hands, great shot, high IQ, lays the body. The centre thing will come eventually.

Galcheyuk is the full package; sick hands, great shot, high IQ, lays the body. The centre thing will come eventually.

Both are elite players.

Yes if MT is around for a duration then Chucky will likely be playing center by his 6th or 7th season. :rofl:

And is he dosent play centre for 6-7 years, so what?

He is in his 3rd year and is doing quite well on the wing and team dosent seem to need him playing a position he isn't ready for yet, as they seem to be doing OK with him on wing, no?

I haven't seen him get run over since moving back to wing, so will likely have a longer career on the wing and seems safer spot for a 20 year old.

And is he dosent play centre for 6-7 years, so what?

He is in his 3rd year and is doing quite well on the wing and team dosent seem to need him playing a position he isn't ready for yet, as they seem to be doing OK with him on wing, no?

I haven't seen him get run over since moving back to wing, so will likely have a longer career on the wing and seems safer spot for a 20 year old.

lol so what? he was drafted to be the habs future number one center.

LOL ........ "its safer on wing he wont get run over" ??????????? hey play him less too, its safer. meybe dont dress him some nights....that even safer.

lol so what? he was drafted to be the habs future number one center.

LOL ........ "its safer on wing he wont get run over" ??????????? hey play him less too, its safer. meybe dont dress him some nights....that even safer.

Seems a foolish point of view.

He was drafted because he was the Best Player Available at #3 to Timmins/Mgmt.

He didnt even play centre in junior full time, so why would you assume he all of a sudden can play full time centre in pros? And really who cares, dont see anyone complaining that Pacioretty is playing wing?

Both would likely have same faceoff %.

If you didnt notice when he played centre for a week or so, he got pasted into boards and run over at least half-dozen times. While before playing centre and since moving back to wing I cant recall a handful of times all year him getting smoked.

Centre is tough to play, wing isnt if you have some skills and can skate.

He told Therrien he wanted to go back to the wing.

Had he told Therrien he still wanted to be at center, he'd still be there.

Galchenyuk wants to be a center on this team but it's gonna be when he's ready.

Or would you rather play him where he isn't comfortable and gets unhappy in Montreal?

I think that when you draft a player who has played center for most of his life, and then tell him "well let's see how you do on the wing, cause you aren't good enough to play center" it possibly forks with his mind a little. He plays wing for 3 years and you say hey let's try center again. I think adapting back is not that easy. People as a rule do not embrace change. I mean should we give Markov a shot at playing wing? He was a winger when we drafted him. I have a feeling that move would not work. So Galchenyuk needs some time to adapt, maybe that means he plays center sometimes and left sometimes. Where ever he plays he is going to be a superstar. We just have to be a little patient.

Seems a foolish point of view.

He was drafted because he was the Best Player Available at #3 to Timmins/Mgmt.

He didnt even play centre in junior full time, so why would you assume he all of a sudden can play full time centre in pros? And really who cares, dont see anyone complaining that Pacioretty is playing wing?

Both would likely have same faceoff %.

If you didnt notice when he played centre for a week or so, he got pasted into boards and run over at least half-dozen times. While before playing centre and since moving back to wing I cant recall a handful of times all year him getting smoked.

Centre is tough to play, wing isnt if you have some skills and can skate.

it happens , you get hit. welcome to the big league leagues.

and if you noticed he has one hat trick in his career, the "week" he played center.

you and i have different opinions on where chucky should be playing

cool :thumbs_up: