Question: Isn't Tinordi ready?

REV-G

Tinordi obviously has size. Habs are lacking in the tough guy department. He is an ok fighter. I think he has been schooled that his ticket to the big league lies in being able to provide that.. However he is not a natural fighter. If he keeps going with the heavy weights, the natural tough fighters.....in trading blows with those guys he may risk facing the the same fate as Brett Lindros.

Yeah, there's a difference between being big and strong and knowing how to fight. We all remember the case of one Mike Komisarek.

Maybe Prust - who is a superb fighter - can take the kid aside and mentor him a bit. But when it comes to Tinordi, that AHL debacle just haunts me. What if he gets dropped again? That's one reason I'm a little uneasy about Tinordi; he may not actually have the tools to be this big intimidator that everyone was hoping for. Of course, this doesn't mean he can't become a valuable, Emelin-type defensive defenceman (after all, Emelin doesn't fight either). But let's face it, part of what made us all drool about JT was the idea that he would become this formidable policeman wreaking havoc on anyone who stepped out of line in our end of the ice. We probably have to temper our expectations and just hope he evolves into a solid shutdown-type defender who lays on some big hits.

I don't care if Tinordi can't fight. If he becomes a hard hitting, crease clearing, shutdown defenseman, I'm eusthatic. Fighting will be gone soon anyway.

To become solid shutdown dman, he needs to be able to learn from his mistakes against NHL speed, which is why it pisses me off that no talent hacks like Allan and Murray, were being played over Tinordi. Those two don't belong in the NHL, Tinordi still has potential to be at the very least a string bottom pairing shutdown dman, with the upside of being a middle pairing dman. Murray, Allen did not belong in the NHL, weaver and Gilbert are suited for a 7th dman role and my preference would be to dump a player as stupid as Gilbert.

Yeah, there's a difference between being big and strong and knowing how to fight. We all remember the case of one Mike Komisarek.

Maybe Prust - who is a superb fighter - can take the kid aside and mentor him a bit. But when it comes to Tinordi, that AHL debacle just haunts me. What if he gets dropped again? That's one reason I'm a little uneasy about Tinordi; he may not actually have the tools to be this big intimidator that everyone was hoping for. Of course, this doesn't mean he can't become a valuable, Emelin-type defensive defenceman (after all, Emelin doesn't fight either). But let's face it, part of what made us all drool about JT was the idea that he would become this formidable policeman wreaking havoc on anyone who stepped out of line in our end of the ice. We probably have to temper our expectations and just hope he evolves into a solid shutdown-type defender who lays on some big hits.

Guest Stogey24

I don't care if Tinordi can't fight. If he becomes a hard hitting, crease clearing, shutdown defenseman, I'm eusthatic. Fighting will be gone soon anyway.

To become solid shutdown dman, he needs to be able to learn from his mistakes against NHL speed, which is why it pisses me off that no talent hacks like Allan and Murray, were being played over Tinordi. Those two don't belong in the NHL, Tinordi still has potential to be at the very least a string bottom pairing shutdown dman, with the upside of being a middle pairing dman. Murray, Allen did not belong in the NHL, weaver and Gilbert are suited for a 7th dman role and my preference would be to dump a player as stupid as Gilbert.

Iam NOT a fan of Gilbert, but he's played pretty well with Beaulieu these past couple games. Had some pretty good hits too. Nothing bad to say about him right now really

I dont really care if Tinordi can fight either. But i do care that HE IS FIGHTING heavy weights, when he simply is not that good at it. In the last two games he has had two fights. When you are not a natural fighter and you fight frequently anyways, your not long for the NHL. Like i said it looks like he believes its his ticket. Nobody has told him that he does not need to fight plainly obvious.

Tinordi does not need to nor should he be "THE FIGHTER". He is big, learn the position, play it well. Hal Gill couldn't fight DD and win. Big shutdown defenceman who adds some scoring is plenty good enough.

I call BS on the "I don't care if he can fight".

If he is gonna throw big hits and lay players out as he does, he has to be able to fight.

If he wants to play like Lidstrom and not try to put opponents through the endboards, then wont need to fight often at all.

Or as HR pointed out, like Hal Gill, who didn't hit but played smart defense and used his size to advantage without ever fighting.

But almost all HabFans ohh and aww at big hits tossed by and fights won by Hab players.

If he is gonna throw big hits and lay players out as he does, he has to be able to fight.

If he wants to play like Lidstrom and not try to put opponents through the endboards, then wont need to fight often at all.

Or as HR pointed out, like Hal Gill, who didn't hit but played smart defense and used his size to advantage without ever fighting.

But almost all HabFans ohh and aww at big hits tossed by and fights won by Hab players.

Take a wild guess at how many times Niklas Kronwall fought in his career...

Take a wild guess at how many times Niklas Kronwall fought in his career...

Kronwall is a good example. Kasparitis didn't fight much either, if I recall correctly.I would say Tinordi wants to fight and that's why he does. You could tell he was trying to protect himself last night. Didn't work that well but...

As for crying foul because Weaver has played 5 games in the last 40 and Tinordi should have been up, I don't really support that. I don't want to see a prospect sitting in the press box. Player developement has been a big problem with the habs for a lot of years. Or at least I percieved it as a problem. For the last 3 years, I have been extremely happy with the habs player developement. I am going to trust MB decisions on who goes down and who stays up. I would love to see Tinordi develope into a full time number 4 or 5, but right now, I see a player who has a lot of holes in his game which could ultimately hurt the team. If he goes back down, I will not have a problem with it. If he stays and improves, I will be very happy for him. Whatever management decides is probably the right decision, based on their recent track record.

He will fight Don as he has proved. What is being talked about here is he aint that good. He leads with his face, had already been knocked out cold, face plant to the ice with teeth laying on the ice beside his snoring, bleeding concussed head. It will happen again because he aint that good a fighter. Emelin throws big hits, never fights. Armstrong used to throw big hits never fight. Scott Stevens rarely fought. PK used to throw big hits never fights. Kronwall, Kevin Lowe, Charlie Huddy, Rod Languay, Hal Gill, Kasparitus, Pronger rarely fought. Blake rarely fought. etc etc etc.

Last night JT finished the game with what was reported as a mouth full of loose teeth. He may as well have a bulls eye tattooed on his jaw. Some fights will happen spur of the moment, but if he is out there looking to fight natural fighters he will get clobbered again. He's not a Chara, Prust, Lucic, Macquaid, Orr, Fraser type fighter.

I like his jam and the ice he will cover with size and reach but as someone said he will be closer to a Gill than a Chara.

Kronwall is a good example. Kasparitis didn't fight much either, if I recall correctly.I would say Tinordi wants to fight and that's why he does. You could tell he was trying to protect himself last night. Didn't work that well but...

As for crying foul because Weaver has played 5 games in the last 40 and Tinordi should have been up, I don't really support that. I don't want to see a prospect sitting in the press box. Player developement has been a big problem with the habs for a lot of years. Or at least I percieved it as a problem. For the last 3 years, I have been extremely happy with the habs player developement. I am going to trust MB decisions on who goes down and who stays up. I would love to see Tinordi develope into a full time number 4 or 5, but right now, I see a player who has a lot of holes in his game which could ultimately hurt the team. If he goes back down, I will not have a problem with it. If he stays and improves, I will be very happy for him. Whatever management decides is probably the right decision, based on their recent track record.

MB does have patience. He is sticking by that. With his record this far its hard to disagree, however on Tinordi I do. I think JT should have been our number 6 dman all season. In my humble opinion. :blush:

I've been frequenting this board less often lately - I used to surf it every day and post on nearly every thread - precisely because it's taken a snarkier turn in recent months, and I can do without the aggravation.

I have always enjoyed reading your posts Cuke. Please don't go to far away!!! :)

• Upvote 1

I'm glad to see that most members on the Boards think the same as I do about Tinordi. If he can become a good shutdown d-man, with the ability to lay out some solid hits and clear the front of the net, I will be happy!

I'm glad to see that most members on the Boards think the same as I do about Tinordi. If he can become a good shutdown d-man, with the ability to lay out some solid hits and clear the front of the net, I will be happy!

That would be the ideal role for him, and one that the Habs need filled.

All you guys saying that Timordi can't fight at all surprises me. Have you not seen many of his fights?

As far as getting dropped, have you never fought? It happens to the best of them, the guy in the A was a 6'5 guy... there is a risk of getting caught with one, every time you fight, you realize that right?

Tinordi is willing, and has had his share of fights where he absolutely destroyed the other guy too ya know.

Last tilt was vs Boll... not an easy task for anyone in the NHL really.

He will settle in and probably not fight every game, because I think he has the tools to be more of a value as a shutdown D man, and so does management, but for right now, he probably feels he has to, so he does at every opportunity.

I'm not judging him yet, he's no slouch, and he's young and trying to find a way to stick, and I'm pulling for him, but not expecting too much(until next year when he needs to clear waivers) and I am hoping like the rest of you he is just what the Dr. ordered for the Canadiens, like Habsfan suggests.

Like most, I don't want Tinordi fighting so often. Of course, I am concerned about his long-term career--not to mention his life after hockey, but there is an even more pragmatic reason. if we constantly have a d-man spending considerable chunks of a period sitting in the box, then the others play far too much. Markov's, and PK'S, minutes have been far too high recently and we need them to rest up a bit for the playoff grind. Also, I want Tinordi and Patyrn on the ice as much as possible to see if they can show the level of progression, or anything near to it, that Beaulieu has. When he comes back, I would like to see "Gonch" mentor one of the other young d

Like most, I don't want Tinordi fighting so often. Of course, I concerned about his long-term career--not to mention his life after hockey, but there is an even more pragmatic reason. if we constantly have a d-man spending considerable chunks of a period sitting in the box, then the others play far too much. Markov's, and PK'S, minutes have been far too high recently and we need them to rest up a bit for the playoff grind. Also, I want Tinordi and Patyrn on the ice as much as possible to see if they can show the level of progression, or anything near to it, that Beaulieu has. When he comes back, I would like to see "Gonch" mentor one of the other young d

Quit your day job and get into coaching dude.

MB does have patience. He is sticking by that. With his record this far its hard to disagree, however on Tinordi I do. I think JT should have been our number 6 dman all season. In my humble opinion. :blush:

Agreed. But unfortunately his play earlier was inconsistent and kind of a shambles at times. Even in the AHL. He's just really seemed to round into shape the last month. Hopefully he just gets better and better now, and he puts a lock on it finally.

Edited by dreegking

Quit your day job and get into coaching dude.

Like most, I don't want Tinordi fighting so often. Of course, I am concerned about his long-term career--not to mention his life after hockey, but there is an even more pragmatic reason. if we constantly have a d-man spending considerable chunks of a period sitting in the box, then the others play far too much. Markov's, and PK'S, minutes have been far too high recently and we need them to rest up a bit for the playoff grind. Also, I want Tinordi and Patyrn on the ice as much as possible to see if they can show the level of progression, or anything near to it, that Beaulieu has. When he comes back, I would like to see "Gonch" mentor one of the other young d

Weaver is around to mentor. We are good there.

I have always enjoyed reading your posts Cuke. Please don't go to far away!!! :)

Ya Cuke! C'mon back,eh!

If you don't post then I haven't even got a chance at faking it successfully.

There are some excellent posters here and folks are learning to get along as we remove the pointed elbow pads.... even me!

I guess he's not there yet. They sent him down today.

I Believe next season Tinordi becomes subject to waivers? Not sure but I know Paterin does. So either we trade Paterin, he makes the team or we lose him to waivers. If it's the same with Tinordi, then it really will be interesting to see how it goes. At this point, to me, Paterin looks better and actually has good size as well. I Think we lose one of the two for sure.

I Believe next season Tinordi becomes subject to waivers? Not sure but I know Paterin does. So either we trade Paterin, he makes the team or we lose him to waivers. If it's the same with Tinordi, then it really will be interesting to see how it goes. At this point, to me, Paterin looks better and actually has good size as well. I Think we lose one of the two for sure.

Yes, Tinordi (as well as Pateryn and Beaulieu) must clear waivers beginning next season.

Yes, Tinordi (as well as Pateryn and Beaulieu) must clear waivers beginning next season.

Now the pressure comes, do you trade 'em or lose 'em. I really like how Pateryn has looked lately, and I really don't want to give upon Tinordi yet. Beaulieu is going nowhere, he will be a mainstay on defence. That is good news. The organization has a lot invested in Tinordi so you gotta think that Pateryn is the one to go.