Sekac traded to Anaheim for Smith-Pelly

sim.on

i wasn't up in arms when we dealt diaz... not in the least.

we wanted a young 22, big hard hitting forward with potential... it costed us a solid prospect in return. i think this is MB going for smith more so then ANA wanting sekac

Guest Stogey24

He is very much a coveted right handed, power forward with a good shot. In other words, exactly what we needed.

He's not a power forward. They just went over him on 690( I don't have a clue though, never watched him). He likes the to post up in front of the net though. Which is definitely what we need.

Guest Stogey24

What is your definition of a power forward?

Corey Perry type, fast, hard on the puck, puck possession beast. Not a guy who scores 5 goals and stands in ront of the net

Corey Perry, not a guy who scores 5 goals and stands in front of the net

Damnit. We traded for the wrong Duck!

In all seriousness, this is Pelly-Smith's sophomore season. While he's no Corey Perry, it may be too early to judge his overall offensive potential.

Also, to be fair, in the playoff run where Pelly-Smith scored 5, Corey Perry scored 4.

Guest Stogey24

Damnit. We traded for the wrong Duck!

In all seriousness, this is Pelly-Smith's sophomore season. While he's no Corey Perry, it may be too early to judge his overall offensive potential.

Also, to be fair, in the playoff run where Pelly-Smith scored 5, Corey Perry scored 4.

lol, I'm just sayin. It's just another grinder added to the list who struggles with consistency.

Corey Perry, not a guy who scores 5 goals and stands in front of the net

So if you're not Corey Perry you're not a power forward?

He's had 40 points in 129 games at 22 years old. He hits, stays out of the box and gets in front of the net. How is 40 points in 129 games being turned into "just another grinder"?

Maybe he ends up like Andrei Kovalenko or maybe he ends up our version of Simmonds and Okposo, that power forward every team is making trade proposals for because they need a guy like him. Too early to tell at this point.

Guest Stogey24

So if you're not Corey Perry you're not a power forward?

He's had 40 points in 91 games at 22 years old. He hits, stays out of the box and gets in front of the net. How is 40 points in 91 games being turned into "just another grinder"?

Maybe he ends up like Andrei Kovalenko or maybe he ends up our version of Simmonds and Okposo, that power forward every team is making trade proposals for because they need a guy like him. Too early to tell at this point.

Your Confusing a grinder with a power forward and Smith-Pelley has 40pts in 129 games

Everything I read about SP suggests that he is a prototypical bottom-6 grinder. A good grinder, mind you, who hits and drives the net.

Since I saw Sekac becoming more than that, I'm leery of this deal, but MB has earned the benefit of the doubt.

I'm disappointed about this.

Really liked watching Sekac play, had high hopes for him.

I know people make the Eller comparison but Sekac had 10x the compete Eller ever has shown.

But Pelly does bring some other things to the table. We'll see.

Guest Stogey24

I'm disappointed about this.

Really liked watching Sekac play, had high hopes for him.

I know people make the Eller comparison but Sekac had 10x the compete Eller ever has shown.

But Pelly does bring some other things to the table. We'll see.

Kind of a shitty thing to say, but I wish it was Eller that got traded and not Sekac

Guest Stogey24

Nah I'm with you there. This looks much better to me;

Patches - DD - Gally

Chuck - Plek - Pelly

Sekac - DLR - PAP

Prust - Bounival - Weise

Ya, that does look damn good

Guest Stogey24

The time has past for Eller to prove himself. I'm right with ya on him. Someone poster earlier that management has the patience with Eller, but not Sekac? It makes you wonder really.

The time has past for Eller to prove himself. I'm right with ya on him. Someone poster earlier that management has the patience with Eller, but not Sekac? It makes you wonder really.

Based on Bergevin's comments I think if he could have traded Eller for DSP he would have. Anaheim wanted Sekac, Bergevin wanted DSP more than he wanted Sekac. That's as much to read into it as you can.

Guest Stogey24

Based on Bergevin's comments I think if he could have traded Eller for DSP he would have. Anaheim wanted Sekac, Bergevin wanted DSP more than he wanted Sekac. That's as much to read into it as you can.

Yup, agreed. As much as I liked Sekac, he was a parameter player, besides his first 5 games or so with MTL( trying to talk myself into liking this trade).

Yup, agreed. As much as I liked Sekac, he was a parameter player, besides his first 5 games or so with MTL( trying to talk myself into liking this trade).

I still like Sekac and think he'll be a very good player in the NHL. But I'll also admit I never paid much attention to him without the puck while Therrien paid a lot of attention to Sekac without the puck. It's his job as head coach to identify weaknesses in players and try to make them better. As much as we might hate it when he does that, we're a better team because of it.

i listened to MB say once there are good players that get you through the regular season and good players that get you through the playoffs... he said eller gets you through the playoffs... i think he values Eller much more then alot of us on this sight. i recall eller being our best forward down the stretch before getting targeted and head hunted in game 1 vs OTT... and he followed that playoff with a fantastic post season LY. just saying!

good to note that smith-pelley has played and is friends with beaulieau bournival and gallagher as they all played canadian juniors together.

Kind of a shitty thing to say, but I wish it was Eller that got traded and not Sekac

I said that I would be doing cartwheels over this trade if it were Eller, PAP or one of the rookie forwards without the initials JDL who were involved in this deal. As it stands, I am hoping that I come to like it in time-- as I did with the deals for Weise, Gonchar and,to a lesser extent, Thomas.

MB made the trade to give the line up more options to work with for the playoffs. A hard driving player that goes to the net as a 3rd or 4th line player that thrive at playoffs.

Sekac, is more a parameter player and I am sure as the season continues...its a schedule he isnt use to, so I cant see him being anymore a factor in The Playoffs.

Sekac works hard, but the results arent there as offensive numbers. He teases you, but what is there to show? Thats been his history , as I dont see any significant numbers from his junior days or pro days... I see him as a " tweener" were do you put him ?

SP has some pedigree...point per game junior, WJC, reasonable success in playoffs... What has SEKAC shown in terms of pedigree?

MB has a handful of prospects like this. atleast we have little more drive now upfront.

Will be interesting to see how Sekac will do out West, I cant see him putting up anymore numbers even playing with Getzlaf or Perry...

I'm sure MB believes the Habs are are tougher team to play against today than they were yesterday. Thats why he made the deal. Habs do need some sandpaper up front. Coach did not like sekac, healthy scratching him on a team that has bulldogs play every night. Give MB benefit of doubt. Think Sekac will do well in Anahiem, and Montreal needs to be more aggressive up front. A win / win ?

One angle we're not hearing much about is the "positional" one. SP is a RW, Sekac more comfortable on the LW. Given that Galy seems to be fated to stay on the LW for a while, this might be an attempt to bolster our vulnerable right flank. Strictly as a lateral move, that seems to make some sense.