Sekac traded to Anaheim for Smith-Pelly

sim.on

Guest Stogey24

One angle we're not hearing much about is the "positional" one. SP is a RW, Sekac more comfortable on the LW. Given that Galy seems to be fated to stay on the LW for a while, this might be an attempt to bolster our vulnerable right flank. Strictly as a lateral move, that seems to make some sense.

Chuck on the right side tonight

One thing I haven't seen noted - Smith-Pelly is eligible for UFA at 26 instead of the usual 27 as he played 49 games as a 19-year old.

Also, the cap savings aren't half a million unless Sekac hits all of his bonuses. In terms of the difference in salary between the two, the Habs save a little over $30,000 between now and the end of the year.

Smith-Pelly has recorded 17pts 76 shots & 147 hits.. Sekac 16pts 56 shots & 49 hits.

Smith-Pelly is a hard nosed Canadian kid with a similar undercover skill set like Weise.

I like Sekac but as mentioned, he is of the AK46 mold bordering Bourque's physical willingness. AK46 threw some serious body checks.

Bottom line. Habs got a 2nd rd pick with more tools for a guy with some finesse they signed from the KHL. Win. If he ends up being the guy that clicks with Getz & Perry. Win, Win.

Or.. this is just straight up compensation for Rene Bourque. lol

Anyone else think this MB made the trade for MT narrative is complete bs? People act like they don't talk. I like Sekac, and anyone who puts that sweater on. But how many games did he not contribute? Even McGuire, who has reason to be bitter, said no way. You earn your ice time. Yes, yes, DD seems like an exception. Sekac went undrafted for a reason. He could wind up being another Brunnstrom. Who was also highly coveted.

Guest Stogey24

One thing I haven't seen noted - Smith-Pelly is eligible for UFA at 26 instead of the usual 27 as he played 49 games as a 19-year old.

Also, the cap savings aren't half a million unless Sekac hits all of his bonuses. In terms of the difference in salary between the two, the Habs save a little over $30,000 between now and the end of the year.

Good post

Anyone else think this MB made the trade for MT narrative is complete bs? People act like they don't talk. I like Sekac, and anyone who puts that sweater on. But how many games did he not contribute? Even McGuire, who has reason to be bitter, said no way. You earn your ice time. Yes, yes, DD seems like an exception. Sekac went undrafted for a reason. He could wind up being another Brunnstrom. Who was also highly coveted.

DD went undrafted for a reason too.

i don't like this trade, but than i don't know much about Smith-Pelly, other than he had a good playoffs.

I really like Sekac's skill set and he looks like someone who can be a solid top 6 forward - unfortunately i don't think he got a real shot to play that role under MT. Smith-Pelly looks like a grinder more than a power forward (IMO - difference between the two is the offensive upside a power forward has vs. a grinder).

I'm hoping Smith-Pelly didn't just have a john druce type playoffs last year and actually has the offensive potential to contribute, but really wish we hadn't given up on Sekac so early.

Count me among the disappointed on this one. Sekac looked like a top-6 player, and even when he wasn't putting up points he was still making things happen, playing strong on the puck and making smart passes.

On the plus side we got a hard-nosed player who can score tough goals, which our lineup can use. It just seems like we gave up the better player. Time will tell.

I just hope that the people that don't like this trade aren't the same people complaining about smurfs and getting pushed around. MB addressed a team need and it is going to cost in order to do so. There are plenty of skilled forward prospects in the system, but none like Smith-Pelly.

I just hope that the people that don't like this trade aren't the same people complaining about smurfs and getting pushed around. MB addressed a team need and it is going to cost in order to do so. There are plenty of skilled forward prospects in the system, but none like Smith-Pelly.

Succinct. Dead on.

That's the point right there...

Thats right will. MB knows ya dont win championships with a soft team in this league.

Ill the thrill is 100% right :thumbs_up:

illWill is still the best moniker.

I really liked the titilating skill set that Sekac flashed occasionally.

And I had hopes that he'd become a bit of a star for us.

But the points made in defence of the trade are good ones ,and frankly I trust MB's judgment an awful lot more than I do mine.

I can certainly see our latest forward as fitting the playoff model mentioned earlier, and I've heard that its how one plays in the playoffs that makes the greatest difference in evaluations.

MB never even called me for a consultation on this one.. so I was very surprised. :blush:

I think the trade was surprise to 99.99% of everyone.

Seems like a slight majority of fans like the deal.

Sekac said the message about being scratched from coaches, was for him to work on consistency and defensive play.

Pelly with more NHL experience, size, RW, RH shot, checking ability could be a better fit right now heading into playoffs.

(Odds of Habs making playoffs is now sitting at 99.99%)

For anyone curious, he started on the top line and was moved to the fourth line by the end of the game, replaced by Rene Bourque.

Why? Because Bruce Boudreau loves to change his lines. All the time.

who cares what a coach who has accomplished squat in the playoffs does.

S-Pelly on line changing and switching between wing and center. "the lines were always changing over there (anahiem) Hard for some guys to get any traction. Get comfortable in one spot then get moved, kind of difficult"

Well that experience will come in handy under Therrien. No different in Montreal.