Feb 24 17:00 PST Montreal @ St. Louis

DON

Picture this when you think speed on d isn't a necessity:

It's playoffs, and a burner is coming down the wing (say he's on the Rangers or Lightning) and Gonchar gets beaten to the net, he then has to take down said burner, and they both crash into Price..guess what, he's hurt again. With their speed, Kale Smoothie (great name btw) or either of the kids are better suited to ride the guy into the boards or behind the net. I'm not saying they have to put him through the boards or even on his ass, for that matter, but they do defend more effectively because of their speed. Quite frankly, Gonchars legs looked to be catching up to him even before his injury.

It's playoffs, and a burner is coming down the wing (say he's on the Rangers or Lightning) and Gonchar gets beaten to the net, he then has to take down said burner, and they both crash into Price..guess what, he's hurt again. With their speed, Kale Smoothie (great name btw) or either of the kids are better suited to ride the guy into the boards or behind the net. I'm not saying they have to put him through the boards or even on his ass, for that matter, but they do defend more effectively because of their speed. Quite frankly, Gonchars legs looked to be catching up to him even before his injury.

Icewater you see the game very well

It's overtime in the playoffs.

Therrien lucks out by being able to line change his defencemen. Markov and Subban just finished a two minute shift. We have the puck in their zone and we need to score. Do you send out the fast youngster or do you send out the intelligent veteran?

Therrien lucks out by being able to line change his defencemen. Markov and Subban just finished a two minute shift. We have the puck in their zone and we need to score. Do you send out the fast youngster or do you send out the intelligent veteran?

Can I go with "Both". Cuz my answer is "Both"... Beaulieu + Gonchar.

• Upvote 1

You dont play markov and subban together and that allows you to have one of them out there almost all the time. Thats one thought. Play offs go up into another gear. As stated Gonchars game was already looking strained before he got concussed by Clarkson.

"overtime in play offs " I know what you mean about the "intelligent vet"............and its even more than likely that he gets burned by young speedsters in period four or five of a play off game (overtime)

Chelios was an "intelligent vet"...and babcock sat him for entire play off games because he was too slow. Intelligence is great but.........

But i was one who thought Gonchar had nothing to offer when he first got here.....and he surprised me.

Hey, Therrien will agree with ya there though, he'll play the vet over the youngster no matter what.

You negative nellies are whacked...

Gonchar has been great for us, and our overall defense core, and he still plays a good smart game.

being positive about the young HABS who we pick to play ahead of him. How is that negative?

Negative in that you fail to see/acknowledge how good Gonchar has been since he joined the team.

You can't tell me that three rookies pencilled in as starters in the playoffs is sane...

Overtime? Overtime? Bad example. Habs wrapped this up in the second and the final was 9-2. Gonchar plays 10 minutes of the third to rest our horses for the next game.

• Upvote 1

Overtime? Overtime? Bad example. Habs wrapped this up in the second and the final was 9-2. Gonchar plays 10 minutes of the third to rest our horses for the next game.

"Practice? Practice? "we talkin bout PRACTICE"

PLAY OFFS? PLAY OFFS? ?!?! :rofl:

It's round 1 against the Bruins. The score of 9-2 is not enough. You don't let up. The body may be lying there, bloodied and mangled, but you keep hitting it with that sledgehammer over and over again until the game is done. Just in case it gets back up.

• Upvote 1

Speed kills boys...and this is applicable on defense as well. If our D can retrieve a dump-in one step sooner, they're not getting hit, they're seeing the outlet sooner, and they're not turning over the puck, they're giving themselves more options. Being quicker allows the D to step in front of a rush, or control a gap better...speed kills boys.

Speed kills boys...and this is applicable on defense as well. If our D can retrieve a dump-in one step sooner, they're not getting hit, they're seeing the outlet sooner, and they're not turning over the puck, they're giving themselves more options. Being quicker allows the D to step in front of a rush, or control a gap better...speed kills boys.

Speed is not, however, everything. At a certain point, there's a tradeoff. If speed were everything, Dale Weise would be one of our top two players. Conversely, Hal Gil was indispensible in one of Pittsburgh's Stanley Cup runs. Gonchar is, these days, of only average speed. He's lost a step, that happens at his age. He still has the experience and skills to be valuable.

Speed is not, however, everything. At a certain point, there's a tradeoff. If speed were everything, Dale Weise would be one of our top two players. Conversely, Hal Gil was indispensible in one of Pittsburgh's Stanley Cup runs. Gonchar is, these days, of only average speed. He's lost a step, that happens at his age. He still has the experience and skills to be valuable.

Experience and skill is not, however everything. If it were Gonchar would be our best player. "Hall Gill was indispensable in one of pittsburgs cups". ( he still had four years left after that cup) Gonchar is right at the end.

I would also add that Markov is our indispensable skilled vet that has lost a step but very valuable still.

Good posts guys. I don't know what to think on the issue but I've been pleasantly surprised by Gonchar and hope he can help us a lot in the playoffs. Tough coaching decisions for sure.

I guarantee you Gonchar will get serious minutes in the playoffs.

That said, resting him down the stretch (even after his injury) isn't a bad idea.

I kinda look at it that way too. And if we can win while testing the young D in NHL fire prior to the main dance, then that's a pretty good thing too. I hadn't noticed Gonchar falling off , but a time or two, but I often am not watching too critically. I've really been pleasantly surprised over all with his play like most or all of us have.

Oh... ChiCuke.. thanks for the post filling in the background on Plato.. I tried to find it again to thank you and failed. .. I'm debating a guy who erroneously thinks that Newton's notion of momentum somehow contradicts Aristotle's common sense view of change. Not!

Cheers

Paul

"as one old goalie said........"ya cant win the cup with three or four D........ ya need eight" MB has some depth at D now, the injuries to gonch and emelin could turn out to have helped in the depth department when they are back. Tinordi and Pateryn there if needed....and the will be.