TradeCentre '15

ICEWATER77

Well then can this be considered a hockey deal since neither guy can actually play hockey? :) I just had to use that one. Now I want to know is Maholtra's contract insured? If teams can't get insurance I guess they better be damn sure the guy can play. I never knew this and it gives a different perspective to the foolishness of some GM'S.

That's a good question regarding Malhotra. It's not a physical injury in the typical sense that he came back from, it's a vision thing. If he had debilitating back issues, they'd have a hard time finding an insurer but for Malhotra's eyes, I think the deal may be insured.

This seems like an utterly cretinous move by the Jackets. Way to acquire the worst, most crippling contract in hockey, you idiots; and way to relieve the Leafs of any consequences for their own abject stupidity. G**damn it, it doesn't matter how stupid the contract is, there is always some blithering imbecile of a GM who is only too happy to either sign or acquire it.

Instead of paying a player ~$26 M over the next five years not to play for them (which is worse than Clarkson's deal, bad as it is), they're going to pay around that much for someone to actually play for them. I also assume they anticipate that in their system, they may be able to get him going a bit more than he has with Toronto. I think that's all that really went into the deal from their perspective

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't bad for Columbus, either, sadly.

Columbus is not a cap team, they aren't even close. They are worried more about actual finances than they are the cap. They can't afford to pay 5.5 million a year for an uninsured player who's not playing.

Clarkson actually makes them better...which is shocking. They can't afford to replace Horton on the depth chart, so Clarkson gives them an actual player skater body that they can dress and use...and who knows, maybe he'll rediscover a bit of his scoring touch. Regardless, they have more depth than they had before, and they aren't paying any more money for it.

This is a rare case where the size of your market still matters.

Instead of paying a player ~$26 M over the next five years not to play for them (which is worse than Clarkson's deal, bad as it is), they're going to pay around that much for someone to actually play for them. I also assume they anticipate that in their system, they may be able to get him going a bit more than he has with Toronto. I think that's all that really went into the deal from their perspective

I can guarantee that Clarkson will outscore Horton this year, and probably for the rest of his (career?) so yeah I can see the bluebellies point in this. But man did those forking leafs get lucky, Nonis lucks out big time.

I think it's totally disgusting how a piece of sh!t like Horton gets 6 ml per year to do nothing while there are people starving to death on the streets because of mental health or whatever, it's a black eye on the NHL when stuff like this is allowed to happen.

Kharma got Nathan Horton back, he is a vicious bastard that has hurt a lot of players in his career on purpose, cheap shot thug.

He had a bad back when he signed the contract, can't play cause you're injured?

Then file for workers compensation and long term insurance benefits... can't fill your end of the contract, then contract should be null and void, period.

I think it's totally disgusting how a piece of sh!t like Horton gets 6 ml per year to do nothing while there are people starving to death on the streets because of mental health or whatever, it's a black eye on the NHL when stuff like this is allowed to happen.

Kharma got Nathan Horton back, he is a vicious bastard that has hurt a lot of players in his career on purpose, cheap shot thug.

Then file for workers compensation and long term insurance benefits... can't fill your end of the contract, then contract should be null and void, period.

Vicious man vicious. But right on the mark!

Most players in the NHL aren't Nathan Horton - they're not making millions. The NHLPA has negotiated these rules to protect and provide security for its players. Regardless of the specific instance, I can't fault the players for wanting some security against injury and disability in a sport where they've only got a 10-15 year window to provide for the rest of their lives.

This entire deal is a testament to the drooling, brain-dead stupidity of NHL teams when it comes to signing free agents. Massive money trapping teams for the long term, thrown at damaged goods (Horton) and glorified grinders (Clarkson) based on 1-2 career years. It's not just morally reprehensible - that criticism could apply to all sorts of things under capitalism; it's frigging STUPID. And the stupidity ramifies for everyone else by distorting the market literally beyond reason. GAAAHH.

Most players in the NHL aren't Nathan Horton - they're not making millions. The NHLPA has negotiated these rules to protect and provide security for its players. Regardless of the specific instance, I can't fault the players for wanting some security against injury and disability in a sport where they've only got a 10-15 year window to provide for the rest of their lives.

Why after 10 or 15 years of playing hockey, are they banned from doing anything else at thirty five?

This entire deal is a testament to the drooling, brain-dead stupidity of NHL teams when it comes to signing free agents. Massive money trapping teams for the long term, thrown at damaged goods (Horton) and glorified grinders (Clarkson) based on 1-2 career years. It's not just morally reprehensible - that criticism could apply to all sorts of things under capitalism; it's frigging STUPID. And the stupidity ramifies for everyone else by distorting the market literally beyond reason. GAAAHH.

yep....any other industry Nonis is fired and out of the business for the deals he has made.

Why after 10 or 15 years of playing hockey, are they banned from doing anything else at thirty five?

Thank God we have a GM who seems determined to avoid locking us into crippling long-term UFA deals. It can be frustrating come July 1, but it will pay big dividends long term.

They're not...but they're not going to come close to anything rivalling what they were doing at 27. Most of them gave up a real education to play hockey.

Yup, Pateryn with his pre-med degree is one of few who won't rely on a NHL pension for retirement.

(Not quite sure what Bennett will do with his 'Musicology' degree, but good on him and many NCAA players as well to have a plan 'B')

Thank God we have a GM who seems determined to avoid locking us into crippling long-term UFA deals. It can be frustrating come July 1, but it will pay big dividends long term.

A lot of teams have been making regretful UFA signings like Clarkson, Horton, Clowe, Bolland, Orpik,etc.

Worst we did was Briere. Maybe Prust.

Guest Stogey24

A lot of teams have been making regretful UFA signings like Clarkson, Horton, Clowe, Bolland, Orpik,etc.

Worst we did was Briere. Maybe Prust.

I loved clowe. I remember when there was speculation about him coming to MTL.

Guest Stogey24

He grew up a Habs fan and wanted to sign here but the Devils offered him that five year beast and he said he couldn't say no to it.

I think his days are pretty much done as a hockey player. Its too bad

They're not...but they're not going to come close to anything rivalling what they were doing at 27. Most of them gave up a real education to play hockey.

Oh FFS I've never heard anything so lame... cry me a river. Most of us give up a lot on our way through life, doesn't make this situation any less reprehensible, and most of us can't afford a ticket to an NHL game because of this crap.

Oh FFS I've never heard anything so lame... cry me a river. Most of us give up a lot on our way through life, doesn't make this situation any less reprehensible, and most of us can't afford a ticket to an NHL game because of this crap.

That has zero to do with contracts and everything to do with market demand. Both sides said it at both lockouts. Player contracts have nothing to do with the price of the ticket. It has everything to do with market demand. Which is why you can't afford a Habs game in Montreal but goto Florida or Arizona and parking is free and you get a free hot dog.

Why are players paid so much? Because hockey is successful. You make it successful. Every time you talk about it online you're supporting NHL brand value. Every game you watch. Every coffee mug with a logo. You're why they get paid millions. Don't believe me? How much are guys making in the National Lacrosse League or the ladies in the Canadian Womens Hockey League? The best don't even make NHL league minimum. That's because people are not watching and sponsors are not paying because they know you're not watching.

Blame yourself before you go blaming others.

Really, so it's my fault now? Nothing to do with the greedy owners now....

That has taken over first place in the lamest thing that I have ever heard.... argumentative much?

Really, so it's my fault now? Nothing to do with the greedy owners now....

That has taken over first place in the lamest thing that I have ever heard.... argumentative much?

Argumentative or not its the truth. And of course the owners are greedy....but they simply wouldn't have the money to throw at the players if no one gave a shit about the team.

That's the reason Clarkson is a bluejacket now, They just cant afford to pay someone who isn't playing. But the leaves sure can and will because Leaf fans love the team no matter how bad they play....

for example, I live close to Welland, Ontario and frequently visit there. Horton is a Welland Boy and I guarantee I will see some misguided soul wearing a TML Horton jersey in the next year. Now you and I both know he will probably never play a game in Toronto but a Home Town Boy getting traded to your Favorite team = Jersey Sale.

Come to think of it I would probably do the same thing......If Riley Sheahan was traded to the Habs under the same circumstance I would get a jersey to show my support for the guy.

This might not happen in a place like Columbus...