TradeCentre '15

ICEWATER77

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They paid far too much: a first, a second, a top prospect, and a roster D-man. Sold out the future for the now in a big way.

They believe they can go all the way, so they over paid. Typical rangers.

Both the Caps and the Rags improved significantly on the back end, where it counts most. I agree that Zoot was wise not to pay those rates, but this isn't going to make it any easier for the Habs to get to get out of the conference, that's for sure.

Both the Caps and the Rags improved significantly on the back end, where it counts most. I agree that Zoot was wise not to pay those rates, but this isn't going to make it any easier for the Habs to get to get out of the conference, that's for sure.

Ya got that right.

Would like to see the habs make s serious play for Pollok on the loafs.

Erik Cole heading to Detroit. He was one guy who I thought might of helped as a rental considering his past chemistry with our top line.

James Shepard to the Rangers. They've made quite a few deals.

Wonder how many audience members the NHL deadline show's have lost. It wasn't supposed to be a great deadline to begin with but now all the semi big names are gone.

Erik Cole heading to Detroit. He was one guy who I thought might of helped as a rental considering his past chemistry with our top line.

James Shepard to the Rangers. They've made quite a few deals.

Wonder how many audience members the NHL deadline show's have lost. It wasn't supposed to be a great deadline to begin with but now all the semi big names are gone.

Cole reportedly didn't get along with Subban, so thanks but no thanks.

That being said, I was really hoping he'd stay in the Western Conference... he's still a Habs killer.

Well so far I am really glad MB didn't pay any of the crazy prices out there. Although I still see him pulling off something.

My feeling is that MB is done with his shopping. And I believe that it's the best course.

IMO the only trade that would make sense would be for a top notch centre, and those are not available. I would like to see Eric Staal in Montreal, but it won't happen. I would be ready to give Plekanec or DD, with Eller and a draft pick anytime for Staal.

My Spider-sense is tingling to the effect that we need another quality blueliner; and I don't mean another Allen, I mean a #4-5 guy. But that just may be me over-reacting to the Glencross/Yandle deals. I'm worried about those moves.

My Spider-sense is tingling to the effect that we need another quality blueliner; and I don't mean another Allen, I mean a #4-5 guy. But that just may be me over-reacting to the Glencross/Yandle deals. I'm worried about those moves.

I agree , the habs need another dman.

I'm glad that MB didn't pay the king's random that Sather did to get Yandle, talk about gutting their system. To sustain success in today's NHL, a team needs to be built through the draft. Rangers were already on the way to being a poor squad in a few years, this made it that much worse.

I think we need another scoring winger more than a Dman. I'd much rather give up a 1st+prospect+roster player for a guy like Yakapov who's right we own for a number of years, rather than a guy who will be a UFA in a year.

I like how MB has said a few times now that he is looking to make a hockey trade than pick up a rental. We gave away way too many picks in the Gainey years for has beens with short-term remaining like Tanguay and Schneider, along with the seemingly annual move to pick up a checking centre.

In advance of deadline day, here are our preview articles:

Trade Odds - Montreal Forwards

Trade Odds - Montreal Goalies/Defencemen

Trade Odds - Hamilton Forwards

Trade Odds - Hamilton Goalies/Defencemen

Trade Targets - Forwards

Trade Targets - Goalies/Defencemen

I also did a cap one but the numbers have changed considerably in recent days. I really don't feel like going back and re-doing that whole thing so just look at the Cap Sheet instead.

I think we need another scoring winger more than a Dman. I'd much rather give up a 1st+prospect+roster player for a guy like Yakapov who's right we own for a number of years, rather than a guy who will be a UFA in a year.

I like how MB has said a few times now that he is looking to make a hockey trade than pick up a rental. We gave away way too many picks in the Gainey years for has beens with short-term remaining like Tanguay and Schneider, along with the seemingly annual move to pick up a checking centre.

Fair enough. In the summer of 2008, Gainey was "going for it" - trying to set the team up for a Cup in 2009, which had been the plan all along. This obviously blew up in our faces, but I do think that any fan who believes in going "all in" for a year when you seem to be a contender has no right to complain about the lost picks when it doesn't work out. (I'm not saying you're such a fan, Habs29, just that I've known quite a few fans over the years who simultaneously scream for their team to go "all in" and then burn the GM in effigy a few years later for losing the picks/organizational depth).

I posted a Globe and Mail article in the last GDT so I'll quote from it again:

So Bergevin has trade bait if he feels the itch to swing for the fences and acquire a couple of big-ticket players at the trading deadline at prohibitive cost (the Vanek experience was instructive).

“There are never any guarantees … you can’t target one or two players and say ,‘Aha, they’re going to get us over the hump.’ There are seven or eight teams that have a serious shot this year,” he says, noting that a bad early round match-up can derail even the most carefully laid plans.

That said, “if you have a good goalie, you have a chance,” he says. “So you take [the risk], within reason. If over the course of 10 years you make the playoffs eight times, well that’s eight chances. If you go for it all after three years and it doesn’t work, you pay the price for the next four years.”

That’s not a scenario that interests Bergevin. He has a plan, and that plan is plainly to make the Canadiens a perennial contender. The team has become bigger, faster and younger under his stewardship, and he has shown the ability to adapt and to change his mind (exhibit A: the decisions to jettison Murray and Parros). “You have to stick with the plan, sure, but also you have to adjust,” he says. “If you’re on the highway and you see an accident up ahead, you get off and take an alternative route. You can’t be stubborn – this, and only this – but you can’t be swerving all over the road. You have to keep an open mind.”

Fair enough. In the summer of 2008, Gainey was "going for it" - trying to set the team up for a Cup in 2009, which had been the plan all along. This obviously blew up in our faces, but I do think that any fan who believes in going "all in" for a year when you seem to be a contender has no right to complain about the lost picks when it doesn't work out. (I'm not saying you're such a fan, Habs29, just that I've known quite a few fans over the years who simultaneously scream for their team to go "all in" and then burn the GM in effigy a few years later for losing the picks/organizational depth).

I have no issues with going all-in, as long as you go for the right guy. Last year, i was hoping (but not expecting) the habs would go after Vanek or Gaborik and was shocked we got him as cheap as we did.

I think Vanek was mis-used in the playoffs, but he helped us down the stretch in the regular season. Other moves like Tangauy, or attempts to go after Breire, Lecavalier pissed me off about the Gainey regime. It seemed he was fixated on going after a Francophone rather the best player available. To me the tipping point with Gainey was the big rebuild that was centred around the Gomez trade.

I'd have no issue if MB gave up a 1st or 2nd & 3rd pick this year for elite talent. What i don't want is to give up a high picks or prospects for this year's 2nd tear rentals, like Vermette, Glencross (I can't believe how dumb the caps are a 2nd AND a 3rd pick, for guy who's been injured, not playing well and being benched in Calgary - almost as dumb as the picks Roy/Sakic gave up for a marginal goalie to Calgary last year).

I'm also glad we didn't pay the high price for Yandle or Sekara. I'd have no issues with MB rolling the dice and over-paying for a Yakapov or Eberle. However, given Eberle's salary, my preference as i've stated many times is Yakpaov. This guy is going to be an automatic 30+ goal guy once he gets out of that Edmonton cesspool. While i'd love to have Eberle, with next year's cap possibly frozen, $6M is a lot to take on with Galchenyuk, Tinordi and Beaulieu to resign.

I think if we can get a Yakapov type young player without giving up Tinordi, Beaulieu, McCarron, Scherbak, DeLarose, i'd do it in a heartbeat. 1st+Fucale+Patryn. If it blows up, hey it was a worth the chance on a guy who's best years are ahead of him. What i don't want is to roll the dice and give up picks on a has-been who's best years have passed, which was the modus operandi under Gainey/PG - Tangauay, Schneider, Kaberle, Moore. It seemed every year we were trying to pick up a dman, or a 3rd line centre at the end of the year, or we were trading for, or throwing stupid money and term at guy's whose best years were behind them.

I'm all for going all in this year. But this is a young team. If we are going to go all-in, I want to pick-up guys that will be hear for 2-3 years - because that is the window we have given our mix of youth and veteran talent.

I posted a Globe and Mail article in the last GDT so I'll quote from it again:

That’s not a scenario that interests Bergevin. He has a plan, and that plan is plainly to make the Canadiens a perennial contender. The team has become bigger, faster and younger under his stewardship, and he has shown the ability to adapt and to change his mind (exhibit A: the decisions to jettison Murray and Parros). “You have to stick with the plan, sure, but also you have to adjust,” he says. “If you’re on the highway and you see an accident up ahead, you get off and take an alternative route. You can’t be stubborn – this, and only this – but you can’t be swerving all over the road. You have to keep an open mind.”

Which is why i hope he goes after an Eberle or Yakapov deal rather than waste assets like the rangers and Hawks did on 2nd tier UFA's or guys that have short term remaining.

I'm glad that MB didn't pay the king's random that Sather did to get Yandle, talk about gutting their system. To sustain success in today's NHL, a team needs to be built through the draft. Rangers were already on the way to being a poor squad in a few years, this made it that much worse.

Yes they paid a lot to get Yandle. (because he is a very good player) This may well indeed hurt the rangers down the road, but it sure make thems better now.