feb.28th Montreal @ Toronto

DON

I'm wondering if they're speaking two different things - 500th in Canadiens' NHL history while the number I linked (and have kept track of manually for a few years as well) is franchise history, including non-NHL time?

Nice to see Manny score.

Healy's constant whining on behalf of the leafs is getting old.

It's all that's left for Leaf fans.

Wondering what all the ruckus was outside and watch out the window and the neighbour house is on fire and fd-trucks all over the place.

and they did this while he Habs were playing?????

The nerve of some people.

I thought Smith-Pelly would bring some more energy. I remember weise's first game, hit everything in site

With his hit record, I'm sure he'll bring it as he settles in.

DD pots #2

Well... it was the kind of game one might have expected. Habs on easy cruise control, Laffs on drugs.

Truth is the Leaf jersey thrown on the ice was unwarranted. The Leafs played OK.

I feel sorry for all the hockey fans in the Toronto area. Like us, they look forward to getting through the winter with at least the hope of seeing their boys playing some good hockey. It makes for a long unhappy winter for lots of folks. Too bad.

On coaches corner cherry complaining about Habs players laughing at the leafs. What a moron. They are one of the leagues youngest teams, they are winning, thus they are a loose and happy bunch. That's why they are laughing.

Truth is the Leaf jersey thrown on the ice was unwarranted. The Leafs played OK.

I feel sorry for all the hockey fans in the Toronto area. Like us, they look forward to getting through the winter with at least the hope of seeing their boys playing some good hockey. It makes for a long unhappy winter for lots of folks. Too bad.

i've got no problem with the leafs jersey being thrown :clap: Too bad it wasn't shredded before it was thrown :thumbs_up:

On coaches corner cherry complaining about Habs players laughing at the leafs. What a moron. They are one of the leagues youngest teams, they are winning, thus they are a loose and happy bunch. That's why they are laughing.

Cherry is a joke - it's a joke that he still is employed.

Yeah, my heart bleeds for Leafs Nation

NOT

So...Malhotra has a game winner now. Who saw that coming at the beginning of the night?

Ha! Didn't think of that.. Good one Brian.

Yeah, my heart bleeds for Leafs Nation

NOT

Hahahahahaha....I understand..!

Is there anyone in Canada who's not laughing at the Leafs?

Cherry is to broadcasting what the Leafs are to playing.

i've got no problem with the leafs jersey being thrown :clap: Too bad it wasn't shredded before it was thrown :thumbs_up:

Cherry is a joke - it's a joke that he still is employed.

He keeps calling everyone in league office a bunch of nerds and he may not be. He is senile anyways. Ron is having a difficult time controlling him these days.

See, I actually agree with that part of his rant. All the instigator rule has done is painted targets on the backs of the league stars. The players were safer when they were allowed to police themselves. Cheap shots have gone up because of the league trying to eliminate fighting from the game.

The Instigator rule has got to go. When someone takes a cheap shot at your players, it shouldn't be just okay, it should be your duty to beat the shit out of him.

The players were not safer. Remember Gary Suter on Paul Kariya? Do you remember how Eric Lindros used to play? Do you remember Chris Pronger driving guys heads into the boards all of the time? Marty McSorely slashing Brashear in the face? Chris Simon kicking a guy with his skate?

The NHL was far more violent in the past. Way more violent. The enforcers didn't keep the rats away. The enforcers were the rats.

The players were not safer. Remember Gary Suter on Paul Kariya? Do you remember how Eric Lindros used to play? Do you remember Chris Pronger driving guys heads into the boards all of the time? Marty McSorely slashing Brashear in the face? Chris Simon kicking a guy with his skate?

The NHL was far more violent in the past. Way more violent. The enforcers didn't keep the rats away. The enforcers were the rats.

The Instigator penalty was introduced in 1992. Those events all happened AFTER it was introduced, and I would wager, most of them would never have happened before.

I'd actually reverse the instigator rule - if you commit a reckless on ice infraction that has a serious risk of injury, and this results in a fight due to retaliation from the other team, YOU should get the extra penalty for sparking the fight with your reckless action to start with. THAT would cut down on dangerous hits....because not only will you get beat up for it, but you'll lose your team the game.

The Instigator penalty was introduced in 1992. Those events all happened AFTER it was introduced, and I would wager, most of them would never have happened before.

I'd actually reverse the instigator rule - if you commit a reckless on ice infraction that has a serious risk of injury, and this results in a fight due to retaliation from the other team, YOU should get the extra penalty for sparking the fight with your reckless action to start with. THAT would cut down on dangerous hits....because not only will you get beat up for it, but you'll lose your team the game.

you are a wise man

In that case explain where enforcers did anything to prevent, enforce or detract from:

- Dino Ciccerelli on Luke Richardson

- Jimmy Mann on Paul Gardner

- Tiger Williams on Dennis Orchar

- Dave Forbes on Henry Boucha

- Dan Maloney on Brian Glennie

- Wilf Paiement on Dennis Polonich

- Dave Brown on Tomas Sandstrom

- David Shaw on MARIO LEMIEUX

- Ron Hextall on Chris Chelios

Not to mention all of the dirty hits in the 70s and 80s?

People act like dirty hits suddenly began in the 90s. They didn't. Enforcers never prevented a thing. In actuality, Montreal bringing in John Ferguson Sr. to be the first enforcer led to teams packing their lineups with goons and bruisers, all given the title of "enforcer" to make them sound like they did something that contributed to the game. The job of Dave Schultz wasn't to be an enforcer. It was to ensure that when Bobby Clarke took cheapshots at everyone in the league, nobody would come back at him.

Your response to my examples is likely that you can't prevent everything and you're right. You can't. The problem is expecting players to police themselves. It should be up to the officials in the game and NHL management. The suspensions are so soft that nobody cares if they miss a couple games. It's a vacation and a chance to rest injuries they are getting away with playing on. If suspensions were harsh (imagine if David Clarkson got 25 games for his hit on Sergei Gonchar) then the players who keep their elbows high and their sticks in cross check would stop doing it. The first player who loses a whole season due to a suspension would make every other player take notice and think twice. Having players police the game just leads to an arms race in getting the biggest and toughest guy possible.

• Upvote 1

Hockey always has had its share of violence. Always will.

There is an average of 50 hits a game. 1200 games a year. 60,000 hits a season. Thats before a single play off game has been played! Yes some of them will be dirty. In the nhl, ahl, echl, whl, ohl, qhl, mens beer league there are dirty scum bags that intend to injure guys. Not every game, but when for what ever reason they lose their common sense. Five game suspension. Big deal, 75 more to play. But there could be way more dirty hits. Doubt there could be way less. NHL has it to a minmum I would guess.

Besides if there was no ugly factor, no major risk, no danger looming, well everybody would play the darn game and salaries would be about $500 a week. Fans like the fast skating, talent, fancy moves, incredible plays............all made far more exciting because the athletes are doing all this while running the risk of getting their heads taken off. Fact. Ergo the huge dollars. Amazing to watch. More fun to play for the athletes. Just ask them. Like a race car driver when asked "are you not scared of getting in a major wreck?" "Sure" they answer "but thats half the fun, the rush and fear factor".

Fans complain more about the violence than the players do. Like they have some vested interest to say how the players should play the game.

Been going on since Christians were being thrown to the lions in front of a coliseum full of screaming fans.

See, I actually agree with that part of his rant. All the instigator rule has done is painted targets on the backs of the league stars. The players were safer when they were allowed to police themselves. Cheap shots have gone up because of the league trying to eliminate fighting from the game.

The Instigator rule has got to go. When someone takes a cheap shot at your players, it shouldn't be just okay, it should be your duty to beat the shit out of him.

Really? you mean when we had stick swinging, bench brawls? You may want to talk to Pat Lafontaine and see what he thinks. Even Cement head Semenko is against fighting. The players can't police themselves anymore than you allow the inmates to run the asylum. While he is so busy babbling about Bobby Orr ask him how Bobby's knees got crippled? Maybe ask Teddy Green how he thinks it went. Fighting was and is one thing but some of the shit that went on before, it is amazing people weren't killed. We all thought someone would be. Maybe talk to Marc Tardiff see what he thinks. The instigator rule has cut down on fighting now the refs have to do their job properly. That is the real problem. The reason Don thinks we should go back to the dinosaur age is because #1 he is one, #2 he doesn't believe the refs can control the game. The game is a ton cleaner than it has ever been but it has a long way to go. It comes down to the refs and making suspensions hurt. You give a guy a 20 game suspension and see if his attitude doesn't change, it will.