so this is how our team looks like going into the playoffs

Habsfan1989

I actually tend to agree with Habs29 that Stewart might have been worth taking a flyer on. While it's true that his numbers have been declining, his St. Louis totals look a lot better when you factor in the games he missed during his time there. And I'm not sure anyone can be blamed too much if their output stinks on Buffalo. All other things being equal, he's about a 20-goal scorer. That would make him a significant add to our forward unit in terms of goal scoring. (On the other hand, his career playoff numbers are just terrible - not what you want in a rental).

I guess the question is how many 2nd rounders you're willing to dish out. Maybe a 2nd rounder + a 2nd rounder + a probable 4th or 3rd-rounder (what Stewart + Petry would have cost in total) was too much of gutting of team draft position for MB's blood. We should keep in mind here that there's no obvious reason why the Habs won't be in a similar position, close to the top of the Conference, for the next few years; this season is not intended to be a one-shot. Are we going to be trading away multiple second-rounders as well as a bunch of other picks for rental defencemen and Chris Stewarts every trade deadline on that basis? If it's not a sustainable practice, then why do it this year in particular?

(That's why I tend to come back to the idea that MB had some sort of ceiling in mind in terms of how many picks he was prepared to deal away, and decided to use them for a defenceman rather than someone like Stewart. I think that's quite understandable).

If only we had kept Briere, at least he would be rid of contract this year.

What do you do with Paranteau for one more full year?

This year Briere 8g vs PAP 6g, so bad on Bergevin to sign Briere in 1st place and again bad choice to flip crap+pick for crap + extra year of baggage.

Once Emelin is back and Mitchell and Flyn are with team isnt that one too many players to carry (with Weaver already an extra)?

Once Emelin is back and Mitchell and Flyn are with team isnt that one too many players to carry (with Weaver already an extra)?

Now that the deadline has passed, the 23-man limit no longer matters. (It mattered right up until 3 PM which is why Bournival/Pateryn had to go down yesterday). They'll have two scratches up front and on D when all are healthy by the looks of it.

Guest Stogey24

If only we had kept Briere, at least he would be rid of contract this year.

What do you do with Paranteau for one more full year?

This year Briere 8g vs PAP 6g, so bad on Bergevin to sign Briere in 1st place and again bad choice to flip crap+pick for crap + extra year of baggage.

Briere really was a terrible signing.

On local radio I found what Ray Ferraro said interesting. He's become a favourite of mine. He thought, unbelievably, MB might have run out of time. The art of the deal. Not wanting to over pay. He also feels the east is all relatively equal.

On local radio I found what Ray Ferraro said interesting. He's become a favourite of mine. He thought, unbelievably, MB might have run out of time. The art of the deal. Not wanting to over pay. He also feels the east is all relatively equal.

ya i also really like Ferraro, seems to be quite insightful.

ya i also really like Ferraro, seems to be quite insightful.

100%. I don't like him as much on TV, but on radio he is the single most interesting and entertaining hockey commentator there is IMHO. He really brings a blunt, yet thoughtful, "player's perspective" to the table. Vastly underrated, Ferraro is.

Now that the deadline has passed, the 23-man limit no longer matters. (It mattered right up until 3 PM which is why Bournival/Pateryn had to go down yesterday). They'll have two scratches up front and on D when all are healthy by the looks of it.

Ahh, did not know that.

100%. I don't like him as much on TV, but on radio he is the single most interesting and entertaining hockey commentator there is IMHO. He really brings a blunt, yet thoughtful, "player's perspective" to the table. Vastly underrated, Ferraro is.

he is one of the very best indeed

I actually tend to agree with Habs29 that Stewart might have been worth taking a flyer on. While it's true that his numbers have been declining, his St. Louis totals look a lot better when you factor in the games he missed during his time there. And I'm not sure anyone can be blamed too much if their output stinks on Buffalo. All other things being equal, he's about a 20-goal scorer. That would make him a significant add to our forward unit in terms of goal scoring. (On the other hand, his career playoff numbers are just terrible - not what you want in a rental).

I guess the question is how many 2nd rounders you're willing to dish out. Maybe a 2nd rounder + a 2nd rounder + a probable 4th or 3rd-rounder (what Stewart + Petry would have cost in total) was too much of gutting of team draft position for MB's blood. We should keep in mind here that there's no obvious reason why the Habs won't be in a similar position, close to the top of the Conference, for the next few years; this season is not intended to be a one-shot. Are we going to be trading away multiple second-rounders as well as a bunch of other picks for rental defencemen and Chris Stewarts every trade deadline on that basis? If it's not a sustainable practice, then why do it this year in particular?

(That's why I tend to come back to the idea that MB had some sort of ceiling in mind in terms of how many picks he was prepared to deal away, and decided to use them for a defenceman rather than someone like Stewart. I think that's quite understandable).

I would have liked to see stewart in a habs jersey. No doubt about it. Depth and play him over paps all day long

I couldn't agree more than that I completely agree. Coincidentally.

I like the trades beaucoup. I hope Mitchell can prove to be a 4th line lock for years to come. Every time I watch the Sabres I notice Flynn. I pretty excited. I feel way more comfortable having him here for the playoffs than relying on PAP exclusively or calling up Thomas or Andrighetto. Frankly Im surprised one of Lekhonen, Reway or Andrighetto wasn't moved! Bergy is the mfman!

If the playoffs started tomorrow..

Pax Plek Weise

Galy Eller Gally

DD DLR PAP

Prust MM DSP

Bourn Mitch Flynn

Dumont Andrighetto Hudon Thomas

:halm:

I couldn't agree more than that I completely agree. Coincidentally.

I like the trades beaucoup. I hope Mitchell can prove to be a 4th line lock for years to come. Every time I watch the Sabres I notice Flynn. I pretty excited. I feel way more comfortable having him here for the playoffs than relying on PAP exclusively or calling up Thomas or Andrighetto. Frankly Im surprised one of Lekhonen, Reway or Andrighetto wasn't moved! Bergy is the mfman!

If the playoffs started tomorrow..

Pax Plek Weise

Galy Eller Gally

DD DLR PAP

Prust MM DSP

Bourn Mitch Flynn

Dumont Andrighetto Hudon Thomas

:halm:

Looks good. except scratch Paps

Parenteau now officially the new scapegoat. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone should scapegoat him. He's a $4M player we paid peanuts for that isn't performing up to expectations of a top nine player. He needs to be better. That said, he is just getting back from a concussion and should get a little slack from that. Takes a bit to get back into your game. It ain't like a body injury where once the ligament is healed the rest of you is 110% and ready to fly. Your brain is different.

If he isn't playing up to snuff it does cause a bit of a hole in the RW lineup. But I don't think anyone is completely blaming him for a 4-0 loss.

I was quite surprised when PAP was healthy, what a decent defensive game he played, and that he worked hard.

Like Machine said, a concussion is different than coming back from a knee strain or whatever.

He may be the addition(without trading) we had hoped for, to provide some secondary scoring, since we haven't really had him in the lineup lately, hoping he makes good...