so this is how our team looks like going into the playoffs

Habsfan1989

McKenzie sent a tweet saying he'd be surprised if Eller or Berglund were traded but he'd find it interesting.

Isn't that kind of late, or is he referring to the draft?

i would argue that the premise that Cups are won with having dimension on the third and fourth lines is flawed. The Habs have strengthen their depth. Good for them. The Hab's strength and skill down the middle are still issues magnified by not getting a top end right winger.

I don't think anyone is arguing that they wouldn't like to see the Habs acquire another top-6 forward. However, it is not necessarily valid to attack Zoot for not getting one at the deadline unless we know what he would have had to give up to get that forward.

I don't think anyone is arguing that they wouldn't like to see the Habs acquire another top-6 forward. However, it is not necessarily valid to attack Zoot for not getting one at the deadline unless we know what he would have had to give up to get that forward.

Frankly, given the price for Stewart, i would have liked MB to take a flyer on him. He is a UFA at the end of the year, but if we were going to get a rental, I think him going into the playoffs prior to his UFA year would have been a good gamble to take.

I hate that the wings got past hab killer Cole and Zidlicky. We only managed to shore up one of our primary needs (Petry).

i would argue that the premise that Cups are won with having dimension on the third and fourth lines is flawed. The Habs have strengthen their depth. Good for them. The Hab's strength and skill down the middle are still issues magnified by not getting a top end right winger.

habs strength down the middle.

DD

Pleks

DLR

Manny

hate to tell ya buddy that aint strength down the middle. A combined what 32 goals?

He is sticking to his philosophies about being a great team for years. I like that.

Hard to be patient though eh. Ha!

when i heard wings got Cole i thought man he would have looked good back here. The guy can still skate like the wing. DD liked playing with him.

MB said himself that most of the deals out there were for rental players and that he didn't see anything that he felt was a good hockey trade. All those Eberle rumors were false, among likely many others.

Frankly, given the price for Stewart, i would have liked MB to take a flyer on him. He is a UFA at the end of the year, but if we were going to get a rental, I think him going into the playoffs prior to his UFA year would have been a good gamble to take.

Ol' Hab29 waving his magic wand again making deals happen. Who is to say that he didn't try to land Stewart? If MB offered a 2nd round pick for him and so did Minny, which offer would you take if you were Buffalo?

If you look at MB's deals over the summer, they were attempts to address team weaknesses in a way that cost nothing in terms of significant assets or long-term salary shackles. Gilbert was supposed to be a tolerably useful minutes-eating second-pairing defenceman on a short-term, moderate contract, addressing the team's weakness in the second-pairing slot. PAP was supposed to be a useful second-line W offering secondary scoring, helping to address our dependence on Patches. While the former has been better than the latter, neither has really worked out as the more optimistic prognostications would have hoped.

So Zoot dealt away a 2nd and (possibly) a 3rd pick in a very deep draft year for a rental defenceman. He would have had to deal away much more than that for a serious scoring winger and I'm glad he didn't. You pick your poison. There was no way we were going to strengthen our team in both areas at the deadline without compromising too much of the future. It's the art of the possible.

• Upvote 1

MB said himself that most of the deals out there were for rental players and that he didn't see anything that he felt was a good hockey trade. All those Eberle rumors were false, among likely many others.

Ol' Hab29 waving his magic wand again making deals happen. Who is to say that he didn't try to land Stewart? If MB offered a 2nd round pick for him and so did Minny, which offer would you take if you were Buffalo?

There's some people i don't even bother responding to anymore, but if you had actually paid attention or did some research prior to posting, buffalo gets Minny's 2017 2nd round pick. not this year's, not next year's it's a friggin 2017 pick. pretty sure the sabres would have taken a 2015 or 2016 pick over a 2017 pick. Booyah!

There's some people i don't even bother responding to anymore, but if you had actually paid attention or did some research prior to posting, buffalo gets Minny's 2017 2nd round pick. not this year's, not next year's it's a friggin 2017 pick. pretty sure the sabres would have taken a 2015 or 2016 pick over a 2017 pick. Booyah!

Booyah? Pretty sure? Some solid sleuthing right there. Yes I knew it was a 2017 pick, that doesn't make it any better or worse than a 2015 pick, which they have an abundance of. So unless you are in the actual room when the executives of these teams are discussing their needs, you would do us all a favor and stop assuming you know better than they do. And P.S, we are not getting Yakupov no matter how much you bring it up in each and every thread.

Booyah? Pretty sure? Some solid sleuthing right there. Yes I knew it was a 2017 pick, that doesn't make it any better or worse than a 2015 pick, which they have an abundance of. So unless you are in the actual room when the executives of these teams are discussing their needs, you would do us all a favor and stop assuming you know better than they do. And P.S, we are not getting Yakupov no matter how much you bring it up in each and every thread.

hmm, first Stewart wasn't viable option, because the Sabres would rather have Minny's pick rather than the habs, now it doesn't seem to matter. Whatever dude.

And of course you know that MB has no interest in Yakapov, because he's got you on speed dial and told you so.

G: 2 A: 2 PTS: 4 +/-: -2 Shots: 22

G: 3 A: 2 PTS: 5 +/-: +1 Shots: 10

One player is Chris Stewart, who cost a second round pick. The other player is the guy we acquired for nothing in Torrey Mitchell. Guess whose statistics belongs to who in the last 10 games. Here, I'll do another fun stat comparison:

GP: 61 Even Strength Points: 15 Hits: 82 Blocks: 13 Shooting Percentage: 9.5% Even Strength TOI/G: 13:56

GP: 51 Even Strength Points: 13 Hits: 47 Blocks: 51 Shooting Percentage: 13.3% Even Strength TOI/G: 13:06

Which one is the guy costing a second round pick when he's basically a younger Rene Bourque, and which guy is the guy we picked up for the closest possible example of nothing you can get in an NHL trade?

hmm, first Stewart wasn't viable option, because the Sabres would rather have Minny's pick rather than the habs, now it doesn't seem to matter. Whatever dude.

And of course you know that MB has no interest in Yakapov, because he's got you on speed dial and told you so.

I am going to trust MB's judgement over yours every day of the week. He did not see it fit to pay what it would have taken to acquire Stewart. I know it's hard to hear that you don't know everything but life can be hard sometimes.

I don't recall saying he does or doesn't have interest in Yakupov. I merely stated that just because you suggest in every thread that we can get him for whatever shitty package deal you can dream up, doesn't mean it is going to happen.

G: 2 A: 2 PTS: 4 +/-: -2 Shots: 22

G: 3 A: 2 PTS: 5 +/-: +1 Shots: 10

One player is Chris Stewart, who cost a second round pick. The other player is the guy we acquired for nothing in Torrey Mitchell. Guess whose statistics belongs to who in the last 10 games. Here, I'll do another fun stat comparison:

GP: 61 Even Strength Points: 15 Hits: 82 Blocks: 13 Shooting Percentage: 9.5% Even Strength TOI/G: 13:56

GP: 51 Even Strength Points: 13 Hits: 47 Blocks: 51 Shooting Percentage: 13.3% Even Strength TOI/G: 13:06

Which one is the guy costing a second round pick when he's basically a younger Rene Bourque, and which guy is the guy we picked up for the closest possible example of nothing you can get in an NHL trade?

you could do the same analysis of Winnik and Kessel over the last 20 games and come up with similar production stats. Questions if if you are needing secondary storage, who would you want int he playoffs to fill a hole in the top 6, Kessel, or Winnik??? I'd take Kessel and I'm someone who wants nothing to do with Kessel. IMO, our biggest need was a guy who can score in the top 6. More bottom 6 depth is nice, but the bigger need was another goal scorer.

Guys, let's show some respect for each other. We're all Habs' fans here.

Hey i've avoided to responding to some posters for a long time, but get tired of the constant derogatory tone of his responses.

you could do the same analysis of Winnik and Kessel over the last 20 games and come up with similar production stats. Questions if if you are needing secondary storage, who would you want int he playoffs to fill a hole in the top 6, Kessel, or Winnik??? I'd take Kessel and I'm someone who wants nothing to do with Kessel. IMO, our biggest need was a guy who can score in the top 6. More bottom 6 depth is nice, but the bigger need was another goal scorer.

But Stewart really can't. In what world is Chris Stewart a top six player on a playoff team? You think he's gonna get a lick of powerplay time or top six time on Minnesota?

But Stewart really can't. In what world is Chris Stewart a top six player on a playoff team? You think he's gonna get a lick of powerplay time or top six time on Minnesota?

IMO, Stewart is a better viable option to slide between the 2nd/3rd line and has the more POTENTIAL to contribute offensively than having Prust play with DLR. I'd rather take a flyer on him over the rest of the year, knowing he SHOULD BE energized coming to a contender in his UFA year, than the lazy indifferent play of PAP, who's only real contribution to the team has been in the shootout.

I don't think that he is a viable long-term top 6 option, i've made it clear since last year, my preference would be getting a long-term solution, like a kane, Eberle, Yakapov type of young player. But we are really close this year - closer than we have been to being a contender since 92-93. Frankly i think this team is more of a true contender than then the 92-93 team was. But we do need another guy who can score. I'm hoping that Galchenyuk and Gallagher will provide more scoring and DLR continues to progress. But I like Stewart's skill and size against the western conference teams in particular.

In a perfect world, Weisse, Pust, Mitchell Flynn and Malhotra are rotating in the 4th line. To me the mainstay for the 4th line is Weisse, who OCCASIONALLY slides up, while the others can slide in and out of the lineup based on opposition.

Habs scoring isn't enough. I agree completely. However, we have:

- Top 20 scorer in the league (Pacioretty)

- 5th best LW scorer (Pacioretty)

- 28th best C scorer (Plekanec)

- 36th best C scorer (Galchenyuk)

- 42nd best C scorer (Desharnais)

- 22nd best RW scorer (Gallagher)

- 2nd best D scorer (Subban)

- 15th best D scorer (Markov)

We're not as bad as it might feel in comparison to the rest of the league. Of course, Galchenyuk has been everywhere and not just center (if we rank him as a LW, which is where he's played more than C or RW, Galchenyuk would be tied with Mike Hoffman and Tomas Vanek for 21st in LW scoring). Whether Chuck is on the right or left he scores like a Top 25 winger which means the hole becomes that last winger.

Here's where I have to let you in on a shocking and painful truth.

Chris Stewart has exactly one more point than Dale Weise.

Yup. That's the guy you want to drop a second round pick on.

I get your reasoning, I really do. But I think I support the GM 100% on not acquiring him.

lost in all the talk of losing price in game 1 of the ECF last season, was the fact we also lost wiese to a concussion and prust to suspensions. This put our bottom 6 to the test. frankly, i thought we lost those battles to the boyles and dom moores as much as st. louis and nash!!

MB picked up playoff depth... now MT will have to find the right recipe...

patch DD PAP

AG Plex BG

ELLER DLR DSP

PRUST MITCHELL WEISE

bournival malholtra thomas

marky PK

NB petry

emelin gonchar

Weaver gilbert

tinordi pateryn

i think we have to invest some time in PAP trying to find his offensive game and MT can only do that by giving PAP confidence and consistent minutes with max and DD for awhile. if he pulls the plug early we'll lose PAP as top 6 option i think

Uggg... PAP as top six, you have more patience or faith than I do. He would look best in Hamilton I think.

I give him maybe a two, three game benefit of the doubt right now since he's getting back from a concussion injury but so far things are looking like he's busted junk.