Joe Thorton vs Doug Wilson

habs rule

The joys of having a no movement clause, you can tell your Gm to "shut his mouth". I have never heard of this in any sport, really, maybe when Billy Martin was around.

This can't be good for the team, can it?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good for the team? They're not going to make the playoffs. I hate the concept of "tanking" ... but every team that misses the playoffs has a shot at that first overall pick. The lower San Jose finishes in those bottom 14, the better their odds. At this point, they're better off losing more. So "good for the team" is relative.

What I find interesting, is how most journalists fall in on Thornton's side - that Wilson really does need to learn to shut his mouth.

If Thornton moves, it will be because he wants to go. If he doesn't want to go, San Jose may have a new coach next year.

Good for the team? They're not going to make the playoffs. I hate the concept of "tanking" ... but every team that misses the playoffs has a shot at that first overall pick. The lower San Jose finishes in those bottom 14, the better their odds. At this point, they're better off losing more. So "good for the team" is relative.

What I find interesting, is how most journalists fall in on Thornton's side - that Wilson really does need to learn to shut his mouth.

If Thornton moves, it will be because he wants to go. If he doesn't want to go, San Jose may have a new coach next year.

I see one of two scenarios:

1. SJ Sports and Entertainment fires Doug Wilson and Todd McLellan, supporting the need for new management. Veterans like Thornton and Marleau get to retire in San Jose or at least play until the final season of their contracts to goto a contender at the deadline. Wilson becomes a top candidate for the eventual GM job in Toronto while Claude Julien, likely fired after missing the playoffs in Boston, goes to San Jose.

2. SJ Sports and Entertainment supports Doug Wilson in firing Todd McLellan and tells Joe Thornton he's being moved over the summer and needs to pick a city. Wilson hires Claude Julien to replace McLellan.

Either way, Boston is missing the playoffs and Julien is becoming coach of SJ ;)

Guest Stogey24

McLellan hasn't missed the playoffs in any league he's coached in 20 years. I think it would be a mistake to fire him.

What I meant Jeff is the star player of a team (any team) fighting with the GM is not a good situation for the team long term. I wasn't referring to wins and losses. Jumbo has all the cards cause they really can't move him unless he agrees. I think there is more to this than the innocuous comments Wilson made, which I thought were not derogatory to Joe at all.

What I meant Jeff is the star player of a team (any team) fighting with the GM is not a good situation for the team long term. I wasn't referring to wins and losses. Jumbo has all the cards cause they really can't move him unless he agrees. I think there is more to this than the innocuous comments Wilson made, which I thought were not derogatory to Joe at all.

They were truthful and exposed why Joe has a negative reputation despite being a Hall of Fame calibre player. He's easy to get over emotional. He's easy to rattle. He can take over any game that has nothing on the line. Once it becomes more? Anything and everything can shut him down.