Subban's 2nd embellishment fine

hab29RETIRED

An interesting tidbit from Sportsnet today - while Subban has been hit with three public warnings/fines to lead the league, he also has had two other instances where his actions came up for review but didn't get enough votes from the panel to assess a warning or fine.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/weekend-takeaways-bruins-late-freefall/

An interesting tidbit from Sportsnet today - while Subban has been hit with three public warnings/fines to lead the league, he also has had two other instances where his actions came up for review but didn't get enough votes from the panel to assess a warning or fine.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/weekend-takeaways-bruins-late-freefall/

Are the teams in charge of sending their own request for a diving review ? (if they get frustrated about a specific player, for example)

Or the league does this on their own ?

Are the teams in charge of sending their own request for a diving review ? (if they get frustrated about a specific player, for example)

Or the league does this on their own ?

I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe it's an internal NHL process that determines which ones get looked at.

Did anyone catch the Bobby Ryan whiplash display? Doesn't take away from PK diving or not. It's just so laughable, pure comedy really.

Maybe being butt of jokes by peers will help Subban curb his diving? :tumbleweed:

I don't mind penalizing diving and fining embellishment. Hockey isn't soccer and shouldn't allowed to degenerate to that point.

What drives me crazy is the exaggerated importance that old-school guys place upon this, as opposed to, say, head-shots or deliberate attempts to injure. The latter are 'just parta tha game' while diving is the greatest atrocity in human history. Listening to NHL discourse over the past few years, the 2011 Canucks were the Most Evil Team Ever because they had a rep for diving and yapping. Oooo, how heinous. Similarly, the Habs, routinely accused of diving to excess. Meanwhile, Marchard can deliberately break Raymond Mason's back and Chara can commit attempted murder on Pacioretty, and they basically get hand-written letters of congratulation and bouquets of flowers from the commentariat and league bigwigs. For that matter, Crosby can suffer repeated head-shots that nearly destroy his career. Or Weber can head-smash a star player against the glass. Kreider can regularly 'accidentally' slide into goalies feet-first. All of that is just hunky-dory with the dickheads that run the league. They're just 'hockey plays' by 'good guys.'

Then there's the double standard on Subban. Yes, Subban has an agitating aspect to his game. So sue him. I've said this before and I continue to believe it: if PK were white, he would been nowhere near as polarizing a figure. After a few seasons, he has mostly been accepted, but the attitude that he's a 'punk' still lingers, at least in the refs' minds.

Personally, I'd love to see a day when NHL refs and disciplinarians stop acting like it is their prerogative to issue calls based on their personal opinion of players' (and teams') characters and instead judge the actions, period. Unfortunately, this minimum level of basic professionalism is beyond the comprehension of both the refs and the league as a whole. Justice is blind, but not in the NHL; in the NHL, 'justice' is 99% personal preferences.

Well said ChiCuke.

I DO mind fines for diving. When a player slashes, trips ,elbows or otherwise attacks another player, do they not immediately try to minimize it , say by pulling the blade out of the other guys mouth , or the shaft out of his gut or from between his legs, or by letting go? Who doesn't embellish everything?

EVERYTHING is embellished. The goon crashing the goalie is alwayst helplessly floating after being set airborne by mysterious alien forces.

I really, really HATE STUPID.

And this IS STUPID.

Who got hurt?!

Who even got penalized?

And a FINE!!! A FINE!!!

Utterly moronic.

Morons.

We are 24th in the league in powerplay opportunities, of course we have to embellish can't get a call any other way.

That's because we're not threatening enough offensively to generate concern from the opposition. They see us going for the net, they look at each other and say.. "Don't worry 'boudit." :scared::scared:

• Upvote 1

Not really thread worthy so I'll tack this on here. Gallagher won't be warned/fined for his embellishment penalty from Saturday. However, he's one of the 59 (?) players who have received a warning for diving/embellishing so the next time he does get dinged, he will be publicly fined.

Guest Stogey24

Not really thread worthy so I'll tack this on here. Gallagher won't be warned/fined for his embellishment penalty from Saturday. However, he's one of the 59 (?) players who have received a warning for diving/embellishing so the next time he does get dinged, he will be publicly fined.

This is getting ridiculous

Well said ChiCuke.

I DO mind fines for diving. When a player slashes, trips ,elbows or otherwise attacks another player, do they not immediately try to minimize it , say by pulling the blade out of the other guys mouth , or the shaft out of his gut or from between his legs, or by letting go? Who doesn't embellish everything?

EVERYTHING is embellished. The goon crashing the goalie is alwayst helplessly floating after being set airborne by mysterious alien forces.

I really, really HATE STUPID.

And this IS STUPID.

Who got hurt?!

Who even got penalized?

And a FINE!!! A FINE!!!

Utterly moronic.

Morons.

That's because we're not threatening enough offensively to generate concern from the opposition. They see us going for the net, they look at each other and say.. "Don't worry 'boudit." :scared::scared:

2 really good posts TH, I think diving/embellishment is an attempt by the NHL to cover up the bs reffing they have. If the refs would call the penalties properly embellishment is not necassary. The players don't trust the ref to make the call hence embellishment.

Guest Stogey24

Cheating has been around forever, why the fascination with diving that it needs more than 2 minute unsportsmanlike penalty?

Amen

That was the most ridiculous call this year. I for one am getting really pissed at this shite. Improve your reffing NHL and we will talk.

2 really good posts TH, I think diving/embellishment is an attempt by the NHL to cover up the bs reffing they have. If the refs would call the penalties properly embellishment is not necassary. The players don't trust the ref to make the call hence embellishment.

Fantastic posts by Torontohab, and this one is really spot-on as well. If refs could be trusted to call infractions, there wouldn't be diving. I've never heard this point made, but it's perceptive as hell - and gets to the whole culture of 'arbitrary' enforcement that defines NHL discipline, from the on-ice calls all the way up to the Commissioner's Office.

. If refs could be trusted to call infractions, there wouldn't be diving. I've never heard this point made, but it's perceptive as hell - and gets to the whole culture of 'arbitrary' enforcement that defines NHL discipline, from the on-ice calls all the way up to the Commissioner's Office.

Exactly.

I think the NHL should be more concerned with the obvious tanking agenda by teams GMs looking to add the McDavid's of every draft, that's what should be the most important issue at Bettman's office.

Guest Stogey24

Exactly.I think the NHL should be more concerned with the obvious tanking agenda by teams GMs looking to add the McDavid's of every draft, that's what should be the most important issue at Bettman's office.

They need to change how the lottery works