Is this team better heading into the playoffs than last year?

Guest Stogey24

C'mon guys.

There has to be more to a discussion about the team going into the playoffs than lame, subjective arguments like "are they a playoff team?" Because there's a very easy way to make that go away. Win in the playoffs. Were the Bruins considered a playoff team when they blew a 3-0 lead to Philly in '09-10?

How about this? Who's going to be the next Bourque?

Guest Stogey24

The thing with Bourque is he has put up numbers before in his career. The bottom 6 this year is more grinders than "has been" point getters. I don't really know if that makes sense or not

C'mon guys.

There has to be more to a discussion about the team going into the playoffs than lame, subjective arguments like "are they a playoff team?" Because there's a very easy way to make that go away. Win in the playoffs. Were the Bruins considered a playoff team when they blew a 3-0 lead to Philly in '09-10?

I was gonna say Prusty or Pelly; but I guess Paranteau would fit the bill.

C'mon guys.

3rd liner who could lead the team in goals scored?

good question

Just hope 'Patches' can get more than 5g in playoffs this year.

Yes. Need our top six guys not to take the annual spring drop in production. Max included. Granted it is only his fifth play off series.

Guest Stogey24

DSP was a hero for Anaheim in the playoffs last postseason. He could do it again for us.

Getz and Perry were big contributors to his success, but your right, it could happen.

To be honest I have very little hope for Montreal this playoffs. Not going to make it out of the 2nd round.

I don't think we can beat Tampa plus Boston is a 50/50 series every time. After that no way we beat NYR.

I seriously believe that how far the Habs will go this year will depend on the competition we have to face in the early rounds. If we face the Pens or Detroit in the first round, i believe it'll be easier for the Habs in the second round. If we have to face the Bruins or the Hens in the First round, I still believe we can win, but I think we might have to expend alot of energy doing so, which will leave us vulnerable in the 2nd round.

To answer the original question, yes I believe we're better than last year, however, how far we get this year, will greatly depend on who our opposition is in the early rounds.

Lastly, I do not believe we can beat the Bolts or the Rangers. Both teams have lots of speed up front and for some reason, we have difficulties against them. Yes, I'm aware that we won 2 games against the Rags this year, It doesn't change the fact that I believe they're the best team in the League, and that in a 7 game series, I don't think we can beat them.

My opinion hasn't changed. We have a great shot at the Eastern Conference final.

If we drop out in the first round, it'll be a disappointment. Even if it's a tough seven game series.

If we drop out in the second round, it'll be a wash. Second round with the new playoff format might be the toughest series.

If we drop out in the ECF, I'm disappointed we didn't goto the Cup but happy with the team performance.

If we drop out in the SCF, I'm disappointed we didn't win the Cup but we proved we can make it to the dance.

If we win the Stanley Cup, we win the Stanley Cup.

Let's pretend the standings stick. We play the Penguins. The Penguins are one of the hardest downtrending teams in the NHL right now. I have no fear of Fleury in net. If we don't beat them? Disappointment.

Winner of Tampa/Boston next. We always goto seven against the Bruins. Tampa has been the better team in the regular season but we swept them last postseason. If we lose to the Bruins I'll be disappointed. If we lose to the Lightning it'll be a wash.

That leaves whomever survives the Metro division against us. We lose? We lose. We win? We win. Either way, that's where I want to see the team get to. Anything better is cookie.

To be honest I have very little hope for Montreal this playoffs. Not going to make it out of the 2nd round.

I don't think we can beat Tampa plus Boston is a 50/50 series every time. After that no way we beat NYR.

Careful. You can get lectures on here for that kind of blasphemy. :surrender:

"to be honest' I agree

I seriously believe that how far the Habs will go this year will depend on the competition we have to face in the early rounds. If we face the Pens or Detroit in the first round, i believe it'll be easier for the Habs in the second round. If we have to face the Bruins or the Hens in the First round, I still believe we can win, but I think we might have to expend alot of energy doing so, which will leave us vulnerable in the 2nd round.

To answer the original question, yes I believe we're better than last year, however, how far we get this year, will greatly depend on who our opposition is in the early rounds.

Lastly, I do not believe we can beat the Bolts or the Rangers. Both teams have lots of speed up front and for some reason, we have difficulties against them. Yes, I'm aware that we won 2 games against the Rags this year, It doesn't change the fact that I believe they're the best team in the League, and that in a 7 game series, I don't think we can beat them.

Bruins playing play off type pressure games for last 3 weeks. They will hit the ground running in the first round. No easy rides there. Habs and Pens staggering down the final stretch. Nobody talking islanders up they way they were at the half way mark. Halak go on another hot run? Caps dont scare me, after all its play offs. Rangers best team in league and peaking at right time. No matter who's in net for them, they just win. Lightning, as Pax said "fast, talented, well coached" Wings goaltending just not there.................... lets get ready to rummmmmmbble

The question for this morning is: if Patches is seriously injured, where does that leave us?

Dead in the water is the likeliest answer. Obviously.

I wouldn't completely rule out, however, a spirited performance from the rest of the forward unit in Patches' absence - with guys like Parenteau and DSP suddenly stepping up. It wouldn't work over a longer term, but it could get us through the first round.

The question for this morning is: if Patches is seriously injured, where does that leave us?

Dead in the water is the likeliest answer. Obviously.

I wouldn't completely rule out, however, a spirited performance from the rest of the forward unit in Patches' absence - with guys like Parenteau and DSP suddenly stepping up. It wouldn't work over a longer term, but it could get us through the first round.

No Max for the first round is doable. No Max for the second round is impossible. Max coming back into the second round could add an interesting dymanic, a sort of magic realism (Wolverine) that nonsensical playoff narratives build.

Weise has not been mentioned once as a step up guy. I know that he is no 1st line winger, but he has shown he can score and pass. He is my Bourne this year

I agree Nut, hope he gets the ice time to prove it!

On another note, totally off subject, yet not really in terms of this thread.

I claim that the only thing worse than complaining about the place you are hanging out, is not having the F'n brains to shut up and leave if you don't like it...

A philosophy for the distribution of A#holes.

You're all welcome.

Tampa has been the better team in the regular season but we swept them last postseason.

Most people seem to forget that last year the bolts didn't have Bishop in nets. The Habs have proven ever since Bishop is in the league that we have a hard time scoring against him!