Is this team better heading into the playoffs than last year?

Guest Stogey24

Ya, because Sekac really got a fair shake under Therrien. Sekac sat numerous times for what ever reason Therrien could find. Somehow De La Rose goes 31 straight games without being in the pressbox once

Same reason he sat with Ducks, because he is a rookie and has lots to learn.

But, again many complain Mikey is too tough on rookies and now he is being too easy on one? Tough (impossible) crowd to keep happy arnt we. :popcorn:

I do agree that Rose could maybe use a game or two in pressbox, but these games are irrelevent, other than glorified practice, so no matter (other than dlbalr's point about contract bit)

Come on playoffs, start already!

I could be totally wrong, but I think DLR is going to be a good player in the playoffs, he isn't going to cost you a goal, guy hasn't made as many blatant mistakes as Patch has all season long.

Not knocking Patch's 2 way game, or saying DLR is anywhere near as good, I'm just saying he is consistent as hell, and physically he can take the grind pretty good, young legs and hits.

He has that look of a guy that may break out any game now... :ph34r:

The playoff 'experience' should benefit Rose, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Pelly.

Would be sweet if can win a couple rounds again.

I still contend Habs are better than last spring and think it will be week(s) and not month(s) for Wolverine to be back playing.

That is what Dr. Recchi told me anyways.

DLR is an excellent backchecker for his age and more than capable in the NHL. It's why Therrien loves him. He's got two way excellence written all over him.

Glad someone else finally brought up the fact Sekac has been scratched in Anaheim. It's not like he's McDonough over there.

Guest Stogey24

Sekac is also on the top line right now and got a goal(Beauty) and an assist last game

There's a huge difference from being scratched for 1 game on a deep team like the Ducks. Compared to scratched for 10 or more games with Montreal

Sekac is also on the top line right now and got a goal(Beauty) and an assist last game

There's a huge difference from being scratched for 1 game on a deep team like the Ducks. Compared to scratched for 10 or more games with Montreal

Think about that logic for a second. Anaheim is supposedly a deeper team than Montreal where he was scratched a bunch, but yet Sekac is playing on the top line right now for the Ducks.

• Upvote 1

Habs need the powerplay to start making a major contribution. Most GM's would drool at the thought of having two of the best offensive dmen in the league. One a savvy vet that has quarterbacked dynamite powerplays on this team. The other a norris trophy winning superstar with a deadly shot who just oozes skill. On top of that a pure natural sniper with a great hands. The powerplay should be this teams greatest weapon. Price keeping it close, pp winning you games.

Get Pelly out there crashing the net. Its play off time! :Bulldogs:

Habs need the powerplay to start making a major contribution. Most GM's would drool at the thought of having two of the best offensive dmen in the league. One a savvy vet that has quarterbacked dynamite powerplays on this team. The other a norris trophy winning superstar with a deadly shot who just oozes skill. On top of that a pure natural sniper with a great hands. The powerplay should be this teams greatest weapon. Price keeping it close, pp winning you games.

Get Pelly out there crashing the net. Its play off time! :Bulldogs:

And hopefully if we run into TB and Ben Bishop, not using DD and Gally as screenings since Bishop can see above theyre heads even when in butterfly position.

And hopefully if we run into TB and Ben Bishop, not using DD and Gally as screenings since Bishop can see above theyre heads even when in butterfly position.

HA! funny but true.

No that has been tried add nausea , time for the likes of Ellar,Pelly,Weiss, Prust just net crashing looking for garbage, screens, tips, rebounds, penalties both ways, whatever.

DLR is an excellent backchecker for his age and more than capable in the NHL. It's why Therrien loves him. He's got two way excellence written all over him.

Glad someone else finally brought up the fact Sekac has been scratched in Anaheim. It's not like he's McDonough over there.

Sekac and Smith-Pelly are two fringe players that weren't fitting in to their respective lineups, and they were traded in the hopes that a change of scenery would help them. This is basically the Kristo-Thomas trade for borderline NHLers. Sometimes these trades work and both players perform better, sometime these trades benefit one player but more often than not both players will struggle.

The other side of the equation is that MB made a similar trade, Weise for Diaz last year and we won that trade, big time.

Smith-Pelly has been less than stellar but Sekac is in the tough spot of being a borderline top-9 player who plays a skill game. Similar to most of these chili hot Euros that come over from the KHL every year as late bloomers. Smith-Pelly can play up and down the lineup, and those are the types of players MT likes. (Same for Boudreau and Sekac)

Sekac and Smith-Pelly are two fringe players that weren't fitting in to their respective lineups, and they were traded in the hopes that a change of scenery would help them. This is basically the Kristo-Thomas trade for borderline NHLers. Sometimes these trades work and both players perform better, sometime these trades benefit one player but more often than not both players will struggle.

The other side of the equation is that MB made a similar trade, Weise for Diaz last year and we won that trade, big time.

Smith-Pelly has been less than stellar but Sekac is in the tough spot of being a borderline top-9 player who plays a skill game. Similar to most of these chili hot Euros that come over from the KHL every year as late bloomers. Smith-Pelly can play up and down the lineup, and those are the types of players MT likes. (Same for Boudreau and Sekac)

To me it was a lot like the Pouliot for Latendresse trade but we got the potential power forward and moved the skilled guy.

Guest Stogey24

Think about that logic for a second. Anaheim is supposedly a deeper team than Montreal where he was scratched a bunch, but yet Sekac is playing on the top line right now for the Ducks.

what's the logic i'm suppose to be thinking about there bud? That Sekac is a good enough player to run along side Getzlaf and Perry, but not Pacioretty and Desharnais? Or that Anaheim is deeper on the wings than Montreal and yet he's still getting more of an opportunity there than he did here.

what's the logic i'm suppose to be thinking about there bud? That Sekac is a good enough player to run along side Getzlaf and Perry, but not Pacioretty and Desharnais? Or that Anaheim is deeper on the wings than Montreal and yet he's still getting more of an opportunity there than he did here.

Your boy Jiri is scoring at about the same pace he did as a Hab there bud. My point is that if Anaheim is "deeper" than Montreal, then you would think he would get less of a chance to play. Regardless, it doesn't matter how they want to use him, he was deemed expendable by Bergevin.

Guest Stogey24

Your boy Jiri is scoring at about the same pace he did as a Hab there bud. My point is that if Anaheim is "deeper" than Montreal, then you would think he would get less of a chance to play. Regardless, it doesn't matter how they want to use him, he was deemed expendable by Bergevin.

Exactly my point, why was he never given the opportunity here, when M.B went to the trouble of getting him.

I'm still just pissed about the trade to be completely honest. I really liked Sekac and will never understand the reasoning behind trading a big, young, and talented player before he's given a real opportunity in an offensive role.

I'm officially done crying about it

I'm still just pissed about the trade to be completely honest. I really liked Sekac and will never understand the reasoning behind trading a big, young, and talented player before he's given a real opportunity in an offensive role.

I think it was more about acquiring the right hand shot, hitting, net presence and past playoff success of DSP then it was about Sekac. Habs have alot of players similar to Sekac but not many like DSP. I am going to wait till after the playoffs to judge the deal.

Guest Stogey24

I think it was more about acquiring the right hand shot, hitting, net presence and past playoff success of DSP then it was about Sekac. Habs have alot of players similar to Sekac but not many like DSP. I am going to wait till after the playoffs to judge the deal.

I agree and I'm not completely against Pelly. I just see more of a grinder than anything. Playoffs may bring something out in this guy though I guess

I still like Sekac. If we traded for like Emerson Etem I would have absolutely loathed it. But I liked Smith-Pelly before we traded for him so it was more like, awww crap why couldn't be anyone else?

But all the reports said that other GMs were angry at Anaheim because they would say Smith-Pelly was unavailable when the teams talked and here Bergevin gets him. Which tells me that it wasn't about "getting rid" of Sekac but that Bergevin really wanted DSP and had to pony up for it. The price was Sekac.

I liked Sekac too, and was startled by the trade. But "being pissed" about it seems like an overreaction. It'll probably take 2-3 seasons to really determine whether MB made the right call. Until the wider pattern clarifies itself, we should refrain from panicking every time Sekac has a good game.

I liked Sekac too, and was startled by the trade. But "being pissed" about it seems like an overreaction. It'll probably take 2-3 seasons to really determine whether MB made the right call. Until the wider pattern clarifies itself, we should refrain from panicking every time Sekac has a good game.

It might end up like the Pouliot/Latendresse deal where the "best" player fizzled after injuries and the other guy ends up just an overpaid third line winger that is still an eternal underachiever.

Apparently Toronto has recalled Orr for the season finale. Thoughts?

He will try to fight someone. If we don't have a heavyweight it'll be Brandon Prust holding him off for a minute. He will probably cost Toronto a goal or two.

Apparently Toronto has recalled Orr for the season finale. Thoughts?

I don't think it is fighting related. I'd say it's probably more a "dernier tour de piste" for Colton Orr.

I'm not too worried about it because Orr has only played 14 games in the minors this year with a handful of penalty minutes. He's probably too slow and out of shape to do any real damage.

So, how about them Leafs getting rid of Orr/Brown and McClaren for a "fancy stats fourth line?" I think a lot of teams, even the Habs with Flynn and Mitchell, are learning the hard way benching grit guys to try and squeeze a few goals out of 10 minute a night guys. I knew it on opening night that the Leafs weren't hard to play against. When they had the big boys on the fourth line they were in style. The whole league was terrified to go up to Toronto.