April 19 Game #3 Montreal at Ottawa

DON

I'm no expert, as my criticism of the Weise trade - so helpfully dredged up by Machine :nuts: - illustrates. But it seems pretty clear that the basic problem with our PP is that the WHOLE strategy consists of trying to get Subban open for the one-timer. Everyone on the ice knows this. But it seems like a pretty low % approach; it all depends on PK getting a clear shot (preferably with traffic in front), and he's not going to unleash a perfect Howitzer every single time he does get that clear shot. And the opposition knows that everything depends on containing Subban. So we need to find 1-2 other plays as options. This would keep the opposition guessing, and ultimately improve the odds of PK's cannon being effective to boot.

I'm sure Therrien and his staff know this. Why they can't implement it is the question. It's as if PK's awesomeness just sucks everything towards itself - not unlike the way Pacioretty starts vacuuming up all of Desharnais's playmaking when those two are together. In a perverse way, it might be better to give Subban LESS PP time, just to create a situation where Petry, Markov, and all the rest of the unit start asserting themselves more and thinking outside that box.

agree thats why they need to establish down low to get that shot working... and like i said its why we see markov and PK continue to switch spots on the blue line mid sequence. i see no other hockey team do this... its frustrating me greatly i know the answer is to swallow their pride and split them up!!!

Well that was a very interesting game. I have not been down on Gilbert till last night, 2 giveaways in front of Price and the pass to Beaulieu. I would like to bring Pateryn in to replace either Gilbert or Beaulieu if he is injured. Maybe bring the Gonch and Pateryn in if Beaulieu is injured. Gonch is fully rested by now. Markov is tired, a lot of us have been saying from the begining of the season that he can't play the minutes he did in regular season and still be effective in the playoffs. Le Genius is going to make me a fan of his yet, I don't know how he comes up with the line combinations that work but he does. That magic blender works. Now if he could just remember what a powerplay is, cause we could sure use one. This could have been a blow out with a powerplay. Patches is still feeling the effects of that "upper body injury that required tinted shield etc". Wiese what a trade! If nothing else his play has shown just how stupid and arrogant the idiot known. as Tortarella is. He is good entertainment, but really a shitty coach. Like Iron Mike, very limited life span as coach. I, like a lot of people, have been waiting for the MT blowup that we all thought for sure was coming, but I have to admit he has shown great resolve and patience of all things. Maybe MB keeps a close eye on him. The hit by Karlson was a hit to the head as the replay very clearly shows, not intentional but would have been a suspension last year. But then last year Shanahan would have suspended PK, so call it even. Amazing how the league office has changed from when Shanahan was there. It seems like you can get away with a lot more now than you could before. Any way on to the next game, and let's bring our brooms.

yup... however, i don't think MT will begin to make wholesale changes to a winning line up. gilbert has been playing consistently well lately minus last night of course. with that said, the sens game was clear to see. pressure all 6 defensemen all night long and just completely ignore the puck and lay the body. the guys who hurried their passes and weren't willing to take a hit made mistakes... i do know that moving gilbert to the left side if beaulieau is hurt is 100% not the answer which is why i believe gonch will get the nod on the left side... but like i said, what do i know

Guest Stogey24

exactly how much faster is pateryn then gonchar? personally i want beaulieau to stay in the line up but if he can't go most certainly we will see gonchar. of course i could be wrong but i just can't see MT making 2 moves on the back end to replace beaulieau, as moving gilbert to his off wing in a series that has this many hits would result in that many more mistakes.. imagine gilbert on the left trying to move the puck in the same fashion with this tight a forecheck? he's already turning the puck over! sergei will bring with him a calmness and ability to frustrate the sens by moving the puck quickly and accurately out. its the best way to slow down the hitting and strong forecheck. clean stick to sick passes out the zone and gaining speed in the neutral zone. thats me though...

i think in a series like this its not about how fast you are but how willing you are to take that big hit.... and still make a play!!

I though Gonchar plays the right side?

You know, this felt more like playing against Boston than playing against Ottawa. That was the most physical game I've ever seen, and Ottawa threw their weight around in ways that would have made Lucic and Chara envious.

I can't help but wonder why Ottawa thought that this would be a good game plan, though. "Hey, let's imitate the Bruins! Because their physical style of play has been so effective against this Montréal team for the last two years! Wait...what?"

Also, I think Karlsson saved us the game when he hit Beaulieu in the head. Someone had to take Beaulieu out. He was going to cost us another goal if he kept playing like that...

Also, I think Karlsson saved us the game when he hit Beaulieu in the head. Someone had to take Beaulieu out. He was going to cost us another goal if he kept playing like that...

I don't think he should be looking for any thank you cards. :)

You know, this felt more like playing against Boston than playing against Ottawa. That was the most physical game I've ever seen, and Ottawa threw their weight around in ways that would have made Lucic and Chara envious.

I can't help but wonder why Ottawa thought that this would be a good game plan, though. "Hey, let's imitate the Bruins! Because their physical style of play has been so effective against this Montréal team for the last two years! Wait...what?"

Well, Ottawa had the better of the play for most of the game. Even though we outshot them, they seemed to have most of the momentum and real chances all night. So it wasn't a bad plan. Most notably, it really got Subban and Beaulieu off their games - not because they were scared, but because they started running around. (Subban settled down after the first period, though - even if he was still schooled by Karlsson, in terms of game impact). The issue for the Sens was that Price stood tall and Anderson finally cracked.

I see it as Ottawa giving absolutely everything they had. Never a bad idea when you're desperate.

Well, Ottawa had the better of the play for most of the game. Even though we outshot them, they seemed to have most of the momentum and real chances all night. So it wasn't a bad plan. Most notably, it really got Subban and Beaulieu off their games - not because they were scared, but because they started running around. (Subban settled down after the first period, though - even if he was still schooled by Karlsson, in terms of game impact). The issue for the Sens was that Price stood tall and Anderson finally cracked.

I see it as Ottawa giving absolutely everything they had. Never a bad idea when you're desperate.

I disagree... other than the first period, Montreal dominated Ottawa completely. The puck was always in ottawa's end. Montreal took shot after shot - and they were good shots, too. I have no doubt that even if they'd had an exact clone of Carey Price in net, we'd have won that game.

I disagree... other than the first period, Montreal dominated Ottawa completely. The puck was always in ottawa's end. Montreal took shot after shot - and they were good shots, too. I have no doubt that even if they'd had an exact clone of Carey Price in net, we'd have won that game.

+1 Sens were not really there after the 1st except for a few scoring chances here and there.

+1 Sens were not really there after the 1st except for a few scoring chances here and ther

i agree as well... we won in every aspect of the game except hits and attempts.... the defence was on there heels for good parts of the game but that was because of the "all in" hitting plan the sens seemed to adopt.. we battled through and eventually prevailed. i must say the habs are looking pretty special to me right now.... we are definitely gritty and opportunistic... and all this physical play is nothing new as we are already accustomed to it (thanks boston).

i agree as well... we won in every aspect of the game except hits and attempts.... the defence was on there heels for good parts of the game but that was because of the "all in" hitting plan the sens seemed to adopt.. we battled through and eventually prevailed. i must say the habs are looking pretty special to me right now.... we are definitely gritty and opportunistic... and all this physical play is nothing new as we are already accustomed to it (thanks boston).

All that physical play in the first period seemed to wear the Sens out. They did no have nearly as much jump after that. Hitting is great but you have to remember there is a price to be paid on both ends of the hit. I don't know what game plan they come up with now, they basically shot their bolt. Is Karlson going to play better? He can't. Who goes in goal? The habs know they can beat either one. Nah I think the brooms are out.

I think the brooms are out.

I hesitate to suggest it yet, but yeah, I think that somewhere, the fat lady is clearing her throat.

They've been calling Ottawa a fairy tale team, a "Cinderella story." However, when the playoffs started, the clock struck midnight, and they all turned into pumpkins.

I hesitate to suggest it yet, but yeah, I think that somewhere, the fat lady is clearing her throat.

They've been calling Ottawa a fairy tale team, a "Cinderella story." However, when the playoffs started, the clock struck midnight, and they all turned into pumpkins.

Cinderella broke her shoe. Damn cheap chrystal.

Dont see how the habs with Carey Price in net could blow a three game lead. But no, dont want to get cocky. Fourth win is the hardest one to get. Extra day off, then take them out and wait for the others to finish up. Would be ideal.

Here's how my emotions went due to the game (alcohol might have been a factor)

Period 1: Oh, it's a Bruins home game.

Period 2: Oh, it's 2013 and the Habs forgot you can't score on Anderson at the point.

Period 3: Yup, it's a 2013 game and the Habs are going to lose this because they still haven't learned for ffffWEISE!

Overtime: WEISE! YOU BEAUTIFUL MAN! Haha remember when a certain blog said we should play Thomas instead of Weise? Mwahahahaha where's my broom?

There are far too many funny people on this site, and frankly speaking.. I'm used to being the funny one. Mom always said I was the funniest. Period. OK ,so I was bigger than the other kids. . In any case, I want you funny guys to take it down a notch ot two so I can shine in splendid singularity.

Great post. MoLG. :rofl:

:)

Hahahaha... and bruised ego? Laid him low for 3 minutes.

• Upvote 1

It's very possible that Beaulieu was running around like a headless chicken because he had his bell rung by a head shot and it took the team a while to figure it out. Which is depressing.

They showed him on the bench after that hit, from the front view you could tell he was hurting, but he kept shaking off every question. It's got to be on the players to speak up when they have symptoms, there's too much complicity going on with the teams where it's in the short term interest of the teams to have the players in the game.

"Hey, your head hurt?"

", no."

"Go get 'em."

I heard someone say something thats made sense. I can't remember where I read or heard it, the pun dot wad saying that style of heavy play works in the regular season, as no team in their right mind wants to pay that price during an 82 game season.

The problem is that in the playoffs a team isn't going to shut down due to physicality, unless it's Ottawa fifteen years ago.

Torontohab your mom was right, and you still are the funniest. :rofl:

God bless ya boy. A great sense of humor to match my great sense of hubris. :rofl: