Question: Will the Habs have the money and desire to sign Jeff Petry?

REV-G

I'd assume.next year Beaulieu HOPEFULLY gets worked into top minutes. Markov is still a vital piece to this D core. Just can't be used as a workhorse all year

Ideally,

Nate Dogg and PK G on the first pair.

Markov and Petry on the second.

Tinordi/Emelin/Pateryn for third.

What's eating Gilbert Grape? Gone Baby Gone.

I really hope they find a way to bring him back. He just seems like the perfect 2nd pairing RHD behind PK. We've needed another top 4 D for a while and a top 6 forward this would at least take care of the top 4 D for a while. He's only 27 so we'd be buying up mostly prime years for him and wouldn't have to worry about a major tail off at the end of his deal. Obviously some cap juggling would have to happen especially if we want to improve our forward group at the same time.

Petry pure rental; other GMs likely get video of his playoff work and his career jackpot contract is growing every game.

Petry pure rental; other GMs likely get video of his playoff work and his career jackpot contract is growing every game.

Yeah you are probably right. But I don't have to like it.

Guest Stogey24

Vanek was a pure rental. there's potential to sign Petry.

Bout same potential as there is trading Gallagher or Galchenyuk, sure it is possible but highly unlikely. Bergevin just isn't as dumb as other GMs and Leafs (or the like)will likely offer something stupid 7m x 7yrs.

But, he would be a nice fit in the top-4, but not at cost off trying to add an All-star forward which is what they need much moreso.

More offensive weapons than just Pacioretty I assume is top priority for off season.

Guest Stogey24

I just get the feeling one or two D-men will be moved this offseason. I still wouldn't pay anything more than 5 for Petry though. Montreal is a winning team with great fans and an amazing atmosphere, maybe that will persuade him to stay. Or he's all about the green and sets his sails elsewhere.

I just get the feeling one or two D-men will be moved this offseason. I still wouldn't pay anything more than 5 for Petry though. Montreal is a winning team with great fans and an amazing atmosphere, maybe that will persuade him to stay. Or he's all about the green and sets his sails elsewhere.

My first playoff series in Mtl was amazing. The energy in the Bell Centre for Round 2 should be insane! #bleublancYOU pic.twitter.com/jMltPYwUmg

We will see. SIGN HERE MAN! Spam him on Twitter!

We have $10M in space next year.

Flynn, Galchenyuk and Beaulieu need new deals. Flynn and Beaulieu will be cheap. After that it's one D (Pateryn) for a #7 and one forward (Mitchell) for a 13th forward. Galchenyuk is likely to take a bridge. Buy out Parenteau so the hit is only $1.5M and you can afford Petry and call up Hudon.

Hypothetically, could we bridge Petry next year, then give him Markov's $ (or more) when his contract is up? oops, sorry Dal, but yeah, if it were up to me I would do it!

No. Petry's not going to sign a short-term deal to give the Habs wiggle room when he'll be the most coveted blueliner on the open market in the prime of his career. It will be 5+ years, around the $5 M mark (perhaps just a bit above or below) for him to consider foregoing his big UFA chance.

No. Petry's not going to sign a short-term deal to give the Habs wiggle room when he'll be the most coveted blueliner on the open market in the prime of his career. It will be 5+ years, around the $5 M mark (perhaps just a bit above or below) for him to consider foregoing his big UFA chance.

Well, I'd sign him for that. It would not surprise me if he gets more than that on the open market. GMs are idiots.

The issue with Petry, to my mind, is that Detroit apparently plans to run hard to sign him. He's from there, and in terms of organizational standing, Detroit is about comparable to the Habs, which removes our most obvious competitive advantage as a contending or near-contending team. So if he hits the open market, surely the Wings have to be the odds-on favourites.

Ideally,

Nate Dogg and PK G on the first pair.

Markov and Petry on the second.

Tinordi/Emelin/Pateryn for third.

What's eating Gilbert Grape? Gone Baby Gone.

This is what I am hoping for also; package Gilbert up with a high draft pick or prospect, deal him to a floor team for a lesser draft pick, and be done with him.

Well, I'd sign him for that. It would not surprise me if he gets more than that on the open market. GMs are idiots.

The issue with Petry, to my mind, is that Detroit apparently plans to run hard to sign him. He's from there, and in terms of organizational standing, Detroit is about comparable to the Habs, which removes our most obvious competitive advantage as a contending or near-contending team. So if he hits the open market, surely the Wings have to be the odds-on favourites.

Detroit nearly put themselves out of the running for Petry before the deadline because the deal with Toronto for Phaneuf fell through. That trade might still happen. The Petry to Detroit stuff isn't anything like the Vanek to Minnesota stuff was.

Gilbert + Pleks + 1st rd pick would get us _______ in a trade?

Maybe Alex Steen, who disappears come playoff time but can put up 60-80 points.

Everyone is going to push hard for Petry this summer. The Habs can't compete and get the scoring help they need.

Not really the time to spend big on a free agent player. Frolik, Vermette, Soderberg, Belesky, Stafford and Tlusty are probably the guys who end up hitting market for forwards. You willing to spend at least $4M on any of them?

Habs need to trade or buy out PAP and then use the empty spot on a guy like Hudon.

Guest Stogey24

What does plek have? No trade clause?

Just feels like this offseason is the one he's shipped out. He's coming off a great year and is a UFA in 2016-2017

lets be honest here... the habs are one of the better placed cap teams. they definitely have the cash. are they willing to spend it on petry is the real question... i think he's been very under appreciated as defender while in EDM. montreal's hot bed is a whole other ball game and we are seeing how good this guy is.

my oiler fan buddy was up in arms at this deal and said i would absolutely love him...