Question: Will the Habs have the money and desire to sign Jeff Petry?

REV-G

Don't matter...pure rental and likely playing his last game as a Hab today.

Wash your mouth out with soap, we have won 6 games we have 10 more wins to go.

Guest Stogey24

Don't matter...pure rental and likely playing his last game as a Hab today.

Debbie Downer. I don't know why you keep saying pure rental. Bergevin said in a presser his goal is to sign him this offseason.

If anyone can manage contracts to free up room for Petry, it'll be MB! There are expiring contracts that won't be renewed, and a player or 3 that can be shipped.

:thumbs_up:

Debbie Downer. I don't know why you keep saying pure rental. Bergevin said in a presser his goal is to sign him this offseason.

Bergevin is talking differently about Petry as compared to Vanek last year. Vanek WAS pure rental, Petry MAY be a rental.

Petry and his wife both appear to be from Michigan. If his wife isn't, she certainly has a connection to that state. He might want to play in Detroit. That's the point of free agency, he'll get to choose. If he does so, it won't be MB's fault. Somehow I'm certain people will find a way to blame MB, MT, Youppi!, and anyone else they can come up with.

Petry and his wife both appear to be from Michigan. If his wife isn't, she certainly has a connection to that state. He might want to play in Detroit. That's the point of free agency, he'll get to choose. If he does so, it won't be MB's fault. Somehow I'm certain people will find a way to blame MB, MT, Youppi!, and anyone else they can come up with.

Detroit has a little bit more cap space than we do but not much, best I can tell about 2 million. Depends on what their needs are I guess.

Same as Wiesniewski, Strait, Komisarik etc, Petry will just be out of proper price range for Bergevin, given lack of good UFAs for the 30 GMs to bid on.

People from Michigan are super sentimental about "the mitten." I know from experience. How many midwesterners have signed in Montreal over the years? I can't picture many All American kids dying to live in Quebec, especially after Petry wasted away in EDM all those years.

But I will blame MB when he signs two number 6 d men and another bottom six upgrade in a couple months. I'll skip to the end of the book for y'all...yep. The price was just too high.

Of all the defense montreal lost to free agency over the last ten years, the only one I would have signed was streit. And barely with him. Souray wiz komisarek... no thanks

And i would not have signed streight.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Petry will not sign here. Even if we offer the going rate, I suspect he'd want to sign with a team that has an offense. He'll likely get 5-6.5 mil elsewhere..and with that contract he'll expect to produce. What point total could he possibly get here (and behind Markov)...7-22-29pts? Hell if he went to Det or Wash, he'd have more points on the PP alone

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Petry will not sign here. Even if we offer the going rate, I suspect he'd want to sign with a team that has an offense. He'll likely get 5-6.5 mil elsewhere..and with that contract he'll expect to produce. What point total could he possibly get here (and behind Markov)...7-22-29pts? Hell if he went to Det or Wash, he'd have more points on the PP alone

I don't think he will return simply because the market will pay him more than he is worth. I thought he was a really good fit with the Habs but to throw a huge amount of money and term at him is irresponsible. The cap era is all about getting value out of contracts, and he will not live up to inflated contract he will get.

I don't think he will return simply because the market will pay him more than he is worth. I thought he was a really good fit with the Habs but to throw a huge amount of money and term at him is irresponsible. The cap era is all about getting value out of contracts, and he will not live up to inflated contract he will get.

This is key. If he's overpaid, the Habs should NOT get him.

Petry's a good defenseman. He's not a great one. The last thing you want is a situation like Toronto has, where Phaneuf (a bonafide, top 4, good defenseman, no matter what you think of him) is being paid like a number 1 defenseman and expected to carry the team. He can't, and overpaying him hurts everybody.

Building a successful team is no longer about getting the best players. As you say, it's about getting the best value out of your contracts.

This is key. If he's overpaid, the Habs should NOT get him.

Petry's a good defenseman. He's not a great one. The last thing you want is a situation like Toronto has, where Phaneuf (a bonafide, top 4, good defenseman, no matter what you think of him) is being paid like a number 1 defenseman and expected to carry the team. He can't, and overpaying him hurts everybody.

Building a successful team is no longer about getting the best players. As you say, it's about getting the best value out of your contracts.

That's an astute observation.

Playing #1/2 minutes was what killed Petry's stock in the first place. I'd throw the Emelin deal at him.

That's an astute observation.

Playing #1/2 minutes was what killed Petry's stock in the first place. I'd throw the Emelin deal at him.

If there was somehow to trade Emelin and use just those dollars for Petry I would be up for that. Tinordi could hopefully fill in on the left side for Emelin, who has taken one too many head shots for my liking. I'd like him dealt before it's too late.

#canadiens Jeff Petry wants to come back to Montréal. Saying it's his first choice. #tvasports

6:36 PM - 14 May 2015

Ya beat me to it! I see this as great news - the season is over and he doesn't *have* to say this. That said, the Habs will still have to step up with a competitive offer. Get on your horse, Bergevin!

#canadiens Jeff Petry wants to come back to Montréal. Saying it's his first choice. #tvasports

6:36 PM - 14 May 2015

OH HELL YES!

bye-bye-money-o.gif

Just not a fit if want to upgrade scoring and $$wise, but we will see if Bergevin is a miracle worker?