Question: Will the Habs have the money and desire to sign Jeff Petry?

REV-G

petry is a major major priority to sign next season without a single doubt.

off the books is allen and gonchar= petry easy decision

off the books is weaver= beaulieau extention

next season

beaulieau subban

markov petry

emelin pateryn (people laughed at me when i said he was hamilton's best ahead of tinordi and beaulieau)

tinordi

and thats at least how we start the season....

nothing like quoting yourself....

and if tinordi finally meets his potential expect emelin moved.

Boy, reading this

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/my-philosophy-will-not-change-canadiens-gm-bergevin-says

it's crystal clear that Zoot Suit not only wants Petry signed, he's talking as though he WILL be part of the defence configuration next season (see the paragraph where he talks about reducing Markov's minutes). The guy is making plans based on signing Petry.

As long as Petry doesn't look for something insane like $7 mil, look for him to start next year in the CH.

Boy, reading this

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/my-philosophy-will-not-change-canadiens-gm-bergevin-says

it's crystal clear that Zoot Suit not only wants Petry signed, he's talking as though he WILL be part of the defence configuration next season (see the paragraph where he talks about reducing Markov's minutes). The guy is making plans based on signing Petry.

As long as Petry doesn't look for something insane like $7 mil, look for him to start next year in the CH.

This would be a very good move in my opinion.

This would be a very good move in my opinion.

Agree. Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm a big fan of building from the goalie on out, and it seems Zoot Suit shares this philosophy.

soooo, you're content with Gilly as the 2nd pair RD?

Considering the team was .500 after the deadline and got bounced in the second round, I'm ok with that.

Beaulieu-Subban

Markov-Gilbert

Emelin-Pateryn

Tinordi

I want Tinordi and some grit on the back end. Petry is the most overrated player I've seen among MTL fans since The Great Jiri.

To each his own. I think we should re-sign Petry for 5.75-6.25 for 6 years. There are contracts coming off the books, and moves to be made this summer. MB will make it happen. Re-sign Petry and acquire a top line forward(either C or RW).

Some of the players I'd consider moving (realistically) are: Pleks, Emelin, Gilbert, Fucale, Tinordi, Hudon, Andrighetto, and the 1st round pick. I would GIVE away DD but I doubt anyone would have him

Guest Stogey24

If Petry wants anymore than 5 I'd be letting him walk. You can't sink that much money into a D core. Especially when there are young guys who can fill roles.

If Petry wants anymore than 5 I'd be letting him walk. You can't sink that much money into a D core. Especially when there are young guys who can fill roles.

The Montreal Canadiens have zero in terms of right handed defenceman not named Pernell who can fill a top four D role.

Guest Stogey24

The Montreal Canadiens have zero in terms of right handed defenceman not named Pernell who can fill a top four D role.

Hey I agree the top four needs to be filled, but as it stands right now we're paying 3 of our defensemen like 20 million dollars. That's a big number for team that got pushed out of the playoffs because they can't bury the puck.

To each his own. I think we should re-sign Petry for 5.75-6.25 for 6 years. There are contracts coming off the books, and moves to be made this summer. MB will make it happen. Re-sign Petry and acquire a top line forward(either C or RW).

Some of the players I'd consider moving (realistically) are: Pleks, Emelin, Gilbert, Fucale, Tinordi, Hudon, Andrighetto, and the 1st round pick. I would GIVE away DD but I doubt anyone would have him

That is the approach we need. Our vaunted defence is not as good as everyone thinks. They got whipped by Tampa and Ottawa in a couple of games. Carey Price covers a lot of sins. Gilbert is the give away factory. I am not sure what his appeal is. To me he is a depth guy. You use him when you got nobody else, but Le Genius seems to be in love with him.

Hey I agree the top four needs to be filled, but as it stands right now we're paying 3 of our defensemen like 20 million dollars. That's a big number for team that got pushed out of the playoffs because they can't bury the puck.

Markov will not be making 5.75 mil forever. I wouldn't let a couple more years deter me from signing Petry, who DOES fill an important need.

In love with him? Quite a lame note! :rastapop:

SO...who else was he supposed to play 20minutes/game? :blush:

how many guys did they have eating hot dogs. I don't know there was 5 million dollar defenceman up there.

the defence barring trades will look like this

Markov PK

Emelin petry

Beaulieau pateryn

tinordi gilbert

dietz bennett

beaulieau subban

markov petry

tinordi pateryn

gilbert

depth veteran signing

at least this is my depth chart when comparing our depth from the dogs as well. when adding intangibles like salary and age/ youth id like to see markovs minutes reduced in the reg season only to a 2nd pair role and beaulieau thrusted into a 1st pair role to see what we got.... his time is now... the guy id move is emelin because of tinordi being the much cheaper alternative i think his time is now as well. the right side top 2 would be set in stone with PK and petry or vice versa for that matter. with a battle for the 3rd spot with patron and gilbert.

the forward group is much more complicated...

Guest Stogey24

Markov will not be making 5.75 mil forever. I wouldn't let a couple more years deter me from signing Petry, who DOES fill an important need.

Ya, that's true about Markov

Exactly And Bergy is all about balance. Im sure Gilbert playing on the left side drove him nuts lol..

If they feel Tinordi is ready to make the jump and play 3rd pairing minutes. Look for Emelin to get moved which will balance out the Petry signing. Bergy knows what he's doing. Just as he did with Gorges and Gilbert.

Still would wager will just be some arrangement of these guys to open next season;

Subban-Markov

Emelin-Gilbert/Beaulieu

Pateryn-

In top six

+ Tinordi- X (cheap Vet d-man)

Dietz

But anyone not wearing a #76 or #79 jersey could easily be dealt on July 1st.

I wouldn't say he is better than Petry, a bit of a different player. Petry fits well with the habs beause he is a good skater and puck mover, the habs are limited there. Franson is not.

Their stats are identical, Franson has the size, physicality and shot advantage over Petry.

I'm afraid Petry has become something of a "Jiri Sekac" around here.

Both Petry and Franson are good #3/4 defensemen, the problem is that some idiot GM will pay Petry first pairing money. I hope it's not MB.