Series Discussion Thread: Montreal vs Tampa Bay

dlbalr

I strongly disagree, I'd rather lose Gilbert. He played well last game, but he usually is our worst dman.

Ha ha, yeah, he's stinking out the joint, so give him more minutes :bonk: Typical of the attitudes toward young players on this board.

That said, I agree that Beaulieu had the potential to be a wild card asset over the course of a playoff run. It may yet happen. But frankly, if one of our D had to be injured, it's not a bad thing that it was him.

I strongly disagree, I'd rather lose Gilbert. He played well last game, but he usually is our worst dman.

Well, Beaulieu did not play better than Gilbert in the limited playoff time he saw - but I can see your point. I wasn't saying 'Beaulieu is worse than Gilbert,' more that Beaulieu is not part of the core group that is going to make or break us on the blueline. Better him than PK, Markov, Petry or even Emelin.

Guest Stogey24

Do you have a problem with how Emelin has played in the playoffs? I don't.

I like Beaulieu a lot, but let's face it, he was running around like a decapitated chicken...had that continued, no WAY would he get more minutes.

Frankly, I'd look to Petry to pick up Markov's minutes if #79 continues to flag. But hopefully this won't be necessary. Markov knows he sucked last round...he'll want to do better.

Once again, speed is what's needed to shut down the top line with Johnson and Palat. Even if you put Petry with Subban, you then have Emelin playing his off side with Markov, which he struggles with mightly. Highly doubt Gilbert moves to the 4 spot.

He will still have potential. He's only out for four games.

Excellent! He will be back in time for the third round. :gohabsgo:

Ha ha, yeah, he's stinking out the joint, so give him more minutes :bonk: Typical of the attitudes toward young players on this board.

That said, I agree that Beaulieu had the potential to be a wild card asset over the course of a playoff run. It may yet happen. But frankly, if one of our D had to be injured, it's not a bad thing that it was him

Yea, NB not playing well and "give him more minutes"???? who do ya think he is ......Tom Gilbert !

Going to surgery in a week, so this is brief: pray PRAY the Habs get swept in 4. I said it. PRAY

Babcock loves Montreal.

PRAY TO THE HOCKEY GODS!

Going to surgery in a week, so this is brief: pray PRAY the Habs get swept in 4. I said it. PRAY

Babcock loves Montreal.

PRAY TO THE HOCKEY GODS!

Babcock has said before he won't coach in Montreal. He feels it would be disrespectful to the French-speaking fans to have an English-only coach.

Right. I guess he can't be bothered to learn French.

Anyway, as I've noted before, all the 'fire Therrien' people need to come to grips with the fact that he will not be replaced by Babcock or Quenneville (or Scotty Bowman, for that matter). It'll be Julien, Crawford, Boucher, or some minor-leaguer.

Anyway, as I've noted before, all the 'fire Therrien' people need to come to grips with the fact that he will not be replaced by Babcock or Quenneville (or Scotty Bowman, for that matter). It'll be Julien, Crawford, Boucher, or some minor-leaguer.

I am actually quite suprised that the rumours about Montreal are out there. Do people actually think he will be fired? I seriously doubt it. He needs to find a PP coach, at least a guy with a lot more experience at getting a team going offensively than he has now. Otherwise yeah he could be toast, I think a lot of people expected better this year and barring a miracle, they will go out in the second round again. Those results are not good when you consider that the playoffs are when the owner gets to make money. Each playoff game at home is worth a kings ransom. And I am not talking about LA.

They MUST throw everything on the power play. I'm not the coach but they should try with two forwards (Patches and Eller) and three D guys - Subban, Petry and Pateryn/Gonchar/Markov. All or nothing. Our PP can't be worse than this.

They are done but maybe they can win at least two games.

And for God's sake, stop shooting puck at Bishop! There's enough space beside him.

I honestly don't think he'd be all that interested in Montreal and may have been using that as a line to avoid really getting into the topic. Or, he knows he can get any job he wants without learning French so why throw his name into the Montreal ring when he can go anywhere else without having to learn another language?

I am actually quite suprised that the rumours about Montreal are out there. Do people actually think he will be fired? I seriously doubt it. He needs to find a PP coach, at least a guy with a lot more experience at getting a team going offensively than he has now.

I doubt he'll be fired. I doubt Lacroix is going anywhere either though.

I am actually quite suprised that the rumours about Montreal are out there. Do people actually think he will be fired? I seriously doubt it. He needs to find a PP coach, at least a guy with a lot more experience at getting a team going offensively than he has now. Otherwise yeah he could be toast, I think a lot of people expected better this year and barring a miracle, they will go out in the second round again. Those results are not good when you consider that the playoffs are when the owner gets to make money. Each playoff game at home is worth a kings ransom. And I am not talking about LA.

Therrien will be gone by christmas when the habs are struggling on the powerplay still, MT is still juggling lines game to game period to period, and the team is still winning by Careys play only.

Price will get this team 100 points every year, even with John Brophy coaching it.

"What to do about the powerplay"?

Therrien "I have no idea" :wall:

NNNNNNNNEEEEXXXXXXXT !

Babcock loves Montreal.

PRAY TO THE HOCKEY GODS!

I think all the ghosts up there are on their needs reminding God of what a fine thing Le Club is, and no doubt mentioning a hope for a successful surgery for you my friend. May the good Lord grant you a happy outcome.

Babcock has said before he won't coach in Montreal. He feels it would be disrespectful to the French-speaking fans to have an English-only coach.

I can agree with that as an Anglophone former Quebecer.. well current.. except for where my body is...

These are the Montreal Canadiens.

• Upvote 1

God, there's more to coaching than the power play...

Yup. Didn't Crosby go 17 games or more without a PP goal, this season? I'm surprised that we didn't get this fixed, but I may be a little naive about this stuff.

Patches says Therrien has got every player playing to their maximum potential, and with a great room. I suspect.. (what the hell do I know.. ) that he's been doing an excellent job. I really liked his boosting of GalYuk after after his terrible night, building him up and supporting him. I'd bet he's a really good coach. Just look at our season.. and we owned the first game, and had the second one 'til Prust and Subban and an offside goal. The team was playing absolutely great.

• Upvote 1

Yes they have been best team in both 1st periods and one could argue best in 5 of 7 periods so far with a 2 period meltdown!

Yes they have been best team in both 1st periods and one could argue best in 5 of 7 periods so far with a 2 period meltdown!

That and toonie wiill get us a cup of coffee at star bucks.

take away the two period melt down and tbay is still out scoring us 2-1. I dont take any solace in that even when we "own them" as you guys put it...........we still getting out scored.

Game three we see if Therrien and the boys can do to the lightning what the Cameron and the sens did to us. Make a series out of one that looked to be in the bag.

MT has failed to solve the power-play conundrum. That is a 100% legitimate criticism and a serious weakness, as we all see. The contrast with Jacques Martin is interesting. JM had the team absolutely killing in special-teams categories (except for 2013, when the power play vanished due to Markov's injury), but weak 5 on 5. Now we have the opposite problem.

The complicating factor is that, to the objective eye, the team seems to be very well-coached in every other area (despite the fuming of all the online pedants who want him fired because his player usage doesn't always align exactly with the preferences of these amateur armchair coaches).

So to me the question is: do you fire a coach who is doing everything great, except for one important thing? I think the rational response is not to throw the bouncer out with the bathwater (so to speak), but rather to fire the assistant coach responsible for the power-play. That absolutely has to happen. And if Therrien refuses to do it, then you fire Therrien.

My other, more anxious thought on this is that Therrien may be approaching his 'best by' date regardless. He's entering Year Four...has he ever lasted longer than that? My fear is that we will retain him, using the logic I outline above, and then find that the team starts to tune him out. The result could be a wasted season, and also wasted opportunities to hire the best bilingual alternatives, as they will be likely scooped up by other teams in the off-season. This is less about attacking Therrien and more about trying to anticipate his inevitable life-cycle as a coach. I don't think MT deserves to be fired, but I could respect Bergy for 'proactively' firing him on the basis of this reasoning.

Regardless of one's prophetic fears about what might happen in the future, there is no chance Therrien gets fired. 14 teams don't make the playoffs and how many of them got shown the door, two? Oh yeah, there's those higher expectations because we should be contenders. But wait, 85% of those who think Therrien should be fired also state that we only have one legitimate top 6 forward and that Carey Price is the only reason we made the playoffs. They also complain about our system when any system would still have Carey Price being our best player.

As for tuning a coach out, I only think that happens in extreme situations. In the modern era of sports, I think too much is made of the 'system' a team plays. I don't think players come to the rink and think "crap, we have to play this boring system imposed on us by our coach" or "I wish the coach would let me play with my best friend". No, they are professional athletes who unless they are extremely fatigued on a given day or injured, should enjoy coming to the rink on a daily basis because they get the chance to play the game they love and enjoy for a living. If they can't get up for a game, then that's on them and they, like Pacioretty would say, need to take a look at their on reflection in the mirror before pointing their finger at anyone else.

Is there a reason Andrighetto or Thomas can't dress? Cause if not.. time to spice sh!t up!

Andrighetto still hurt.

Carr might be a better option if went with a prospect.

But, I would of had any youngster in over Paranteau. Cant do any less with almost 20minutes of icetime..

As for tuning a coach out, I only think that happens in extreme situations. In the modern era of sports, I think too much is made of the 'system' a team plays. I don't think players come to the rink and think "crap, we have to play this boring system imposed on us by our coach" or "I wish the coach would let me play with my best friend". No, they are professional athletes who unless they are extremely fatigued on a given day or injured, should enjoy coming to the rink on a daily basis because they get the chance to play the game they love and enjoy for a living. If they can't get up for a game, then that's on them and they, like Pacioretty would say, need to take a look at their on reflection in the mirror before pointing their finger at anyone else.

I think you are confusing what should happen with what actually does happen. Like it or not, players are human beings who do NOT just get up every morning and happily whistle on their way to work. Teams do tune coaches out. It happened to Martin (and then to his successor Cunneyworth), and it happened in spectacular fashion to Carbo. It will happen to Therrien as well, eventually and inevitably. His message will get stale and players will stop buying in in the enthusiastic way they did, say, in Game One and the first period of Game Two of this series.

I agree with bringing in a young forward. Our forward unit is in crisis. A young guy is not a fix over a longer duration, but in the short term can add a real burst of energy and unexpectedness. Go for it.