May 1 ~ Game One: Montreal v.s. Tampa Bay

Very tough loss. As we have been saying for a long time we need goals. I don't need to mention the PP. We aren't going very far scoring 1 goal a game.

Maybe that bell ringer Bishop took off the mask will loosen him up. Get Subban to send a few at his head.

last time we played tbay price had a shut out and 40 plus saves after three periods. first star of the game.....and lost.

tough one tonight.

game 2 we'll be better

hey whats with the three minute shifts for pk??....... have not seen that since phil espisito in the 70's

Those 2 are useless. Especially during the playoffs. I would try and move both of them and put Gally at center.

Pleks is a good regular season guy

so was every game in the sens series , except game 5.

close one , but as was already said we cant score. if we could with a goalie like price we would go all the way. heck if we could even score on the pp it does not even get to ot.

same old.

on to game two.

True..hahaha.

Pleks and DD our top ice time centerman and powerplay centerman. They have a combined 1 goal in these play offs.

Centerman need to score goals. Period.

DD came real close and Pleks too on one. And on PK, he and Patches are always dangerous. That was a good loss.

They gotta happen.

DD came real close and Pleks too on one. And on PK, he and Patches are always dangerous. That was a good loss.

They gotta happen.

watching hawks wild. about 30 guys came close to scoring. 7 actually scored.

but nobody is counting "almost scored"

Well, it's been obvious for two seasons that this team needs scoring, so MB doubles down and carries 9 or 10 NHL caliber defensemen. This team should never lose a playoff game where the opponent only scores one goal in regulation time, but we've regularly seen that. MB said in a recent press conference that they won't compromise the defense for scoring, so we can expect more of the same, "character 1-0/2-1" wins.

He's made no effort to address the issue outside of bargain basement solutions like DSP, Ryder, Briere, Vanek and Parenteau. Didn't he learn from Chicago? You have to pay for a guy like Hossa to put a team over the top. MB acknowledges the price, but refuses to pay up.

Remember that guy P.A Parenteau? .... Me either

LOL on the powerplay tonight. healthy scratch to powerplay to healthy scratch to powerplay .

Strange stat from tonights game .......

Subban 38 minutes played

6 minutes on pp.

1 shot on net.

0 hits.

I don't think so, , MB is not moving youth to make the team now better. He actually turned the team over minus a few scrubs and still won the division. He will try and move a few players and sign a top RWer

Well, it's been obvious for two seasons that this team needs scoring, so MB doubles down and carries 9 or 10 NHL caliber defensemen. This team should never lose a playoff game where the opponent only scores one goal in regulation time, but we've regularly seen that. MB said in a recent press conference that they won't compromise the defense for scoring, so we can expect more of the same, "character 1-0/2-1" wins.

last 4 games

1 goal

1 goal (plus empty netter)

1 goal

0 goals

3 goals in 4 games .

Hawks got three in first 10 minutes tonight.

He's a frigging scrub who belongs in the minors. Maybe he and DD will rip it up for the Hershey Bears I'm three years.

not if Therrien can help it

last 4 games

1 goal

1 goal (plus empty netter)

1 goal

0 goals

3 goals in 4 games .

Hawks got three in first 10 minutes tonight.

not if Therrien can help it

Last 6 years.

Stanley Cup semi final twice. Back to back second round for the first time in 25 years.

Ghg

• Upvote 1

Offside on the winner. Friedman basically saying is karma cuz kutcherov pushing price in should have counted somehow.

MT whining to the media right after the game about it to.

Fact is, it was offside. By a split second. Coach is right on the blown call. But whining to the media looks bad as we have had the benefit of bad calls ourselves lately....without whining from the other side right after the game.

Very true. For a guy that preaches no excuses, he sure comes up with a lot of them.

It wouldn't have mattered, they scored there 1 goal, it was just a matter of time until Tampa scored.

Boy, a lot of grousing on here. MB sucks, everybody sucks, blah blah blah.

Although TB was the better team for most of the third period - odd considering they were supposed to be "tired" and we are supposed to be a "third period team" - the bottom line was that the Habs had by FAR the greater number of really dangerous scoring chances, at least as far as I could see. We can rag on Pleks and DD all we want, but they played darned well. Frankly, I thought everybody on the Habs had a good game - even favourite fan whipping boys like Gilbert - except for Alex Galchenyuk, who stuck out like a sore thumb for his boneheaded individual plays and continued overall futility.

It's a tough loss, but what are you gonna do? Bishop played great (except for the Patches goal), got a couple of posts early...it happens. Ultimately it was an excellent hockey game from two rather similar and well-matched teams and could very easily have gone the other way. There's no justification for ragging on anyone on this squad (except maybe Galy. Like that'd happen).

I'm haunted by Plekanec's shot from the slot and Weisse's OT chance, though. Those are the kind of opportunities this team needs to put away. And both players are capable of doing it.

Still, you're going to have losses like this in a playoff run. The key is to bounce back just as strong or stronger. Let's go get Game Two.

• Upvote 1

Boy, a lot of grousing on here. MB sucks, everybody sucks, blah blah blah.

Although TB was the better team for most of the third period - odd considering they were supposed to be "tired" and we are supposed to be a "third period team" - the bottom line was that the Habs had by FAR the greater number of really dangerous scoring chances, at least as far as I could see. We can rag on Pleks and DD all we want, but they played darned well. Frankly, I thought everybody on the Habs had a good game - even favourite fan whipping boys like Gilbert - except for Alex Galchenyuk, who stuck out like a sore thumb for his boneheaded individual plays and continued overall futility.

It's a tough loss, but what are you gonna do? Bishop played great (except for the Patches goal), got a couple of posts early...it happens. Ultimately it was an excellent hockey game from two rather similar and well-matched teams and could very easily have gone the other way. There's no justification for ragging on anyone on this squad (except maybe Galy. Like that'd happen).

I'm haunted by Plekanec's shot from the slot and Weisse's OT chance, though. Those are the kind of opportunities this team needs to put away. And both players are capable of doing it.

Still, you're going to have losses like this in a playoff run. The key is to bounce back just as strong or stronger. Let's go get Game Two.

Yep all about game two now.

I feel bad for Carey Price. He has to throw a shutout every game, has to be perfect, or we lose. His post game comments were all one word answers. People get all wound up over individual awards. He clearly doesn't. This team is running the risk of wasting this remarkable season. F**k the pompoms, they can't score. It's not about systems. It's about talent. It's about finish.

I feel bad for Carey Price. He has to throw a shutout every game, has to be perfect, or we lose. His post game comments were all one word answers. People get all wound up over individual awards. He clearly doesn't. This team is running the risk of wasting this remarkable season. F**k the pompoms, they can't score. It's not about systems. It's about talent. It's about finish.

Yep. Habs are trying/hoping to win every game 1-0.

DD on the powerplay. I'll never get that. Politics on this team right now is out of hand. Babcock...where are you?

Detroit fans have long been frustrated with some of Babcock's decisions when it comes to giving certain players way too much rope and playing grinders in the top six. It's not just Therrien who does that.

This game was a toss up. We could have easily been well up in this one. Disappointing. .but.. great game. Very solid. Bodes well for the series. Well done Habs! :halm:

That's the way I see it too. It seemed like a pretty even game (I only got to see the OT) and those can go either way. The optimist in me notes that usually when the Habs go through a scoring drought like this, they go on a bit of a hot streak after. (Though the pessimist in me worries that they may take too long to get to that streak...)

hey whats with the three minute shifts for pk??....... have not seen that since phil espisito in the 70's

He's done that a lot this year, plays the full PP and then the next shift after. For all the talk about the team stifling him and reigning him in too much, they still let him do this way too often.

Didn't he learn from Chicago? You have to pay for a guy like Hossa to put a team over the top. MB acknowledges the price, but refuses to pay up.

I seem to remember Bergevin saying that they were only willing to make those final moves (Hossa and company that offseason) when they were viewed as the final pieces of the puzzle. All season they've been talking about how this is a transition year. I don't think it's a matter of him refusing to pay up but rather him saying this year wasn't the right time. When the time is right, I expect he'll make that 'big piece' move.

• Upvote 1

Detroit fans have long been frustrated with some of Babcock's decisions when it comes to giving certain players way too much rope and playing grinders in the top six. It's not just Therrien who does that.

That's the way I see it too. It seemed like a pretty even game (I only got to see the OT) and those can go either way. The optimist in me notes that usually when the Habs go through a scoring drought like this, they go on a bit of a hot streak after. (Though the pessimist in me worries that they may take too long to get to that streak...)

He's done that a lot this year, plays the full PP and then the next shift after. For all the talk about the team stifling him and reigning him in too much, they still let him do this way too often.

I seem to remember Bergevin saying that they were only willing to make those final moves (Hossa and company that offseason) when they were viewed as the final pieces of the puzzle. All season they've been talking about how this is a transition year. I don't think it's a matter of him refusing to pay up but rather him saying this year wasn't the right time. When the time is right, I expect he'll make that 'big piece' move.

Correct. MB is sticking to what he thought wise when he took over. We will all be grateful for that in the not too distant future. I never expected the team to win a cup with this current collection. Having Price has put us in the position we are in this week and play offs are great to watch win or lose.

Having said that, it does not mean we cant question such things as the ridiculously low scoring pp for such a long time. Anothjer good question is why isn't Eller our second line center in these play offs, and on the powerplay more? Why does Chucky stink three years in to his tenure? Those are issues that we can all agree to disagree on........except of course those who fall in love with any player that puts on the jersey.

MB :thumbs_up:

MT :thumbs_down: