Fire Bergevin

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

being the first loser doesn’t make you a winner.

I assume you’re being sarcastic because otherwise that post is junk.

I never claimed they were a winner.

I merely put nuance into the conversation.  

Of course a "realist" should be able to understand that things arent so black and white all the time, otherwise their posting is junk.

Are you ever able to actually debate things without resorting to insults? It seems not since Im not the first person youve attacked.  It doesnt make you seem smarter when you attack others.  That shows real signs of lack of intelligence to be honest.

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think what does matter though is that the 2019 team had the most points ever for a team that didn't make the playoffs.  That certainly indicates that team was good enough to be a playoff team, as it would have been in every other year. 

Not sure i also see as a big deal or improvement really, bout exact the same as this year (18th today), so 2 seasons later and backing into playoffs thanks to no competition? 

Meh, every division has 2 or 3 shitty teams, Buffalo, New Jersey, chicago, Columbus, Detroit, the three california teams, so I don't see the no competition thing. 

The difference is the turnover of players and relying more on guys like Suzuki, Romanov, KK, etc... than they did at that point.  They took a step back last year, and now are taking steps forward with the younger players. 

Again, I dont think this earns five years, but I think you give him a short extension to let it play out.

I just think he has had enough rope or time to improve and kinda seems back at square one, some nice pieces but lacking all star skill up front still.

Not that GM change will help and all know French GM pool is thin, so wont be surprised or that upset if extended, just bit fed up.

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

... I think all this recent discussion is better fit for after actually losing our playoff series ...

Yes ... until after the Habs playoffs are completed

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

... Are you ever able to actually debate things without resorting to insults? ...

A universal objective that is so rarely achieved.

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I like the 2-year extension idea myself. I doubt it will be that modest an extension, though.

Much will probably depend on this series.

Out of curiosity, do you mean adding 22/23 and 23/24 to his current contract (i.e., making it a 3 year contract) or a new deal for 21/22 and 22/23?   

9 years of below average results isn;t enough?

Try a few more years? What will change? 

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  

17 hours ago, GHT120 said:

To be fair one would then have to look at all the years they made the playoffs and see if the reverse were true (i.e., wouldn't have made the playoffs if they were in the west) ... but in the world of the unbalanced schedule neither makes any sense as it is an apples and oranges comparison

thar is the point , claiming this team is road kill because it

may have done this and that or it should not have been in the playoffs is as unfair as me saying they are not as bad

hypotheticals based on unrealistic claims are just that 

===
the NHL record shows this team has made the playoffs two years in a row

THAT is a fact

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

thar is the point , claiming this team is road kill because it

may have done this and that or it should not have been in the playoffs is as unfair as me saying they are not as bad

hypotheticals based on unrealistic claims are just that 

===
the NHL record shows this team has made the playoffs two years in a row

THAT is a fact

It is also a fact that they only made the "tournament" last season because 8 more teams than normal were allowed in ... so how about we split the difference and say they have made the playoffs 1.5 years in a row

;)

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It is also a fact that they only made the "tournament" last season because 8 more teams than normal were allowed in ... so how about we split the difference and say they have made the playoffs 1.5 years in a row

;)

I thought they won the tournament to make the playoffs and lost in the first round

what channel were you watching chicken little ?

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I thought they won the tournament to make the playoffs and lost in the first round

what channel were you watching chicken little ?

They were 24th in the NHL, 12th in the conference and 5th in the division ... sans the TV revenue inspired tournament they were a lottery team ... no playoff appearance

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

They were 24th in the NHL, 12th in the conference and 5th in the division ... sans the TV revenue inspired tournament they were a lottery team ... no playoff appearance

... shhhh... don't tell PHI they played phantoms

you'll never have my heart. — “I wanna tell you my secret now.”

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... shhhh... don't tell PHI they played phantoms ...

Didn't in any way say that ... and you know it ... but nice comeback to bait/tease me.

Because of the "tournament", there is a difference (IMO) between "playing in" and "making" the playoffs last season ... the latter implies it is an accomplishment consistent with the other seasons of MBs glorious tenure ... but we shall never agree ... and I am good with that.

• Upvote 1

with every win against the Leafs, the likelihood of Bergevin being fired go down.

That first win showed clearly how his recent moves may (I say gain, may) payoff in a big way:

• Allen's signing allowing the Habs to make it to the playoffs despite Price being hurt
  • up-to-now, the coaching change changing the pacing of play and the D-to-O transition (support all over the ice)
  • Toffoli and Anderson
  • Staying true to his word since he drafted Romanov, and having him play all season at the NHL level
  • Perry-Staal from this first playoff game, they seem to be playing well together

One game doesn't mean much; but I though of posting this here now just so that it is stated somewhere as we gear up for game two

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

with every win against the Leafs, the likelihood of Bergevin being fired go down.

That first win showed clearly how his recent moves may (I say gain, may) payoff in a big way:

• Allen's signing allowing the Habs to make it to the playoffs despite Price being hurt
  • up-to-now, the coaching change changing the pacing of play and the D-to-O transition (support all over the ice)
  • Toffoli and Anderson
  • Staying true to his word since he drafted Romanov, and having him play all season at the NHL level
  • Perry-Staal from this first playoff game, they seem to be playing well together

One game doesn't mean much; but I though of posting this here now just so that it is stated somewhere as we gear up for game two

I’ve said before that Bergevin is the MVP of the Habs’ 2021 season. The problem is his overall tenure, 9 years of failure being more than most GMs get. And I agree with your first line - his fate probably depends on this series.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’ve said before that Bergevin is the MVP of the Habs’ 2021 season. The problem is his overall tenure, 9 years of failure being more than most GMs get. And I agree with your first line - his fate probably depends on this series.

If a year of "failure" means not making the cup finals, Cheveldayoff is the only one with a longer streak as he has one more year on Bergevin.

Name an off season trade better than Anderson for Domi?

Name a better value signing than Toffoli?

At some point you have to stop blaming the GM and wonder what players need to go.

2 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Name an off season trade better than Anderson for Domi?

Name a better value signing than Toffoli? ...

Agree those are amongst the, and maybe THE, best

2 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

... At some point you have to stop blaming the GM and wonder what players need to go.

But he also gave Byron the contract that had to be waived several times to make the cap work ... he gave Alzner the contract that ate up almost $4 million of this season's cap after being bought out ... he went onto the season with a 2/3C on his top line and depending on two youngsters to carry more load than they have YET proven they can ... and, he has yet to find a mobile, puck-over to pair with Weber (after trading a now 21+ TOI for a set-up forward) ... so any issues are not just the players ... and if any need to go it was the GM that should have disposed of them

These playoffs will tell the tale of whether his retool has born any fruit

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agree those are amongst the, and maybe THE, best

But he also gave Byron the contract that had to be waived several times to make the cap work ... he gave Alzner the contract that ate up almost $4 million of this season's cap after being bought out ... he went onto the season with a 2/3C on his top line and depending on two youngsters to carry more load than they have YET proven they can ... and, he has yet to find a mobile, puck-over to pair with Weber (after trading a now 21+ TOI for a set-up forward) ... so any issues are not just the players ... and if any need to go it was the GM that should have disposed of them

These playoffs will tell the tale of whether his retool has born any fruit

You have to look at what he didn’t do, along with what he did. Defence was a big hole going into the season. Deadline moves created more cap issues and did t really address the issues on the D.

anyways, for now let’s hope the leafs feel the pressure and we can go up 2-0.
We do need to address the PP issue, otherwise the sputtering PP is going to bite us in the ass at some point. I don’t get the PP practice lines reported. In the last game they went back to the long Weber bomb from the blue line, and they need to have more options. I think the leafs will be come out better next game, but if we can get ahead, they are going to feel the pressure. A PP that can produce will go a long ways into winning this series, now that the make up of the leafs top 6 is significantly weaker without Tavares.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You have to look at what he didn’t do, along with what he did. Defence was a big hole going into the season.

Edmundson- +28, 20:03/gm & Romanov?

Deadline moves created more cap issues and did t really address the issues on the D.

Which d-man should he of added at deadline, with little $$ to spend, that would be a significant upgrade?

Which good ones moved at the deadline?

11 minutes ago, DON said:

Is Edmondson the puck mover we need?

did we really need to add BOTH of the dmen we did add?  

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think you can argue that Bergevin has had his best year as GM this year, solved the backup goaltending issue, added Anderson, Toffoli, Edmundson. He plugged a lot of holes but obviously still some work to do as I think they still need a top 4 defenceman.  In the real world if you are a manager and your employee just had their best year in 9 years you don't fire them. I could understand if Bergevin had been fired earlier in his tenure. 

• Like 1