Fire Bergevin

2 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Wash Rinse Repeat?

The future is bright in Montreal. KK, Caufield, Suzuki.. Evans in the 7th. I don’t know if I’ve ever been as excited for the next few years as I am now. We’re contenders this year and should only be better next year. 

Hopefully you are right ... if all goes well, in 2-4 years Habs will be one of those better (non-bubble) teams ... becoming a team that "washes, rinses and repeats" year after year.

But next season their playoff fate is up against 11 teams that had better Pts% this season and/or better records than the Habs in 19/20 ... not to mention those pesky, improving Senators ... several Eastern Conference teams have good reason to be confident they will make the playoffs (barring catastrophic injuries) next season ... the Habs IMO are not (yet at least) one of them ... ***NOT*** saying they can't/won't make the playoffs, but a team built for the playoffs may not get the chance to show it next post-season.

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Hopefully you are right ... if all goes well, in 2-4 years Habs will be one of those better (non-bubble) teams ... becoming a team that "washes, rinses and repeats" year after year.

But next season their playoff fate is up against 11 teams that had better Pts% this season and/or better records than the Habs in 19/20 ... not to mention those pesky, improving Senators ... several Eastern Conference teams have good reason to be confident they will make the playoffs (barring catastrophic injuries) next season ... the Habs IMO are not (yet at least) one of them ... ***NOT*** saying they can't/won't make the playoffs, but a team built for the playoffs may not get the chance to show it next post-season.

Fix special teams ... fix regular season.

We are already a very good 5on5 team

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The problem on D is not the individual players. It’s the mix - much too heavily freighted in the direction of lumbering behemoths. What we need to do is add a top-4 puck-mover, preferably LD. The way the D is currently constructed, no one except Petry is a “must keep.”

This. We have 3 beastly shutdown dudes instead if 2. We don't have a puck mover to play with Weber. It's been an issue for years. 

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I have been screaming for puck moving D but Ducharme may be onto something. Consider if we had 6 Dmen  all behemoths. 

These Dmen are only responsible for hitting, checking and boxing out the opposition. They are no longer primarily responsible for breakout. The wingers have been handling the breakout from inside the blue line. Wingers typically receive passes from Dmen inside the neutral zone. 

Ducharme made that change in game 5 and we haven’t lost since. Our issue is we only have 4 behemoths, what if we had 6 and played this style all season?

Ducharme made a genuine mistake in not starting KK, Caufield, Romanov and we were down 3-1. He makes adjustments that make the most out of our defence and boom. 

I am re-examining my opinion on Ducharme because he was smart enough to make corrections and it worked. 

I still worry that for a team that scores off the rush as much as Montreal, that the defense doesn't match the forwards and vice versa. I do like that the correction was made to support the breakout.  It is working. I just feel like a defense like we have would be more suited to a cycle game in the o zone. 

4 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Wash Rinse Repeat?

The future is bright in Montreal. KK, Caufield, Suzuki.. Evans in the 7th. I don’t know if I’ve ever been as excited for the next few years as I am now. We’re contenders this year and should only be better next year. 

The future is only bright if drafting and development can get more impact players. Too many 3rd 4th liners. 5 6 dmen. Timmins sucks

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I still worry that for a team that scores off the rush as much as Montreal, that the defense doesn't match the forwards and vice versa. I do like that the correction was made to support the breakout.  It is working. I just feel like a defense like we have would be more suited to a cycle game in the o zone. 

Interesting stuff. I didn't notice any of it. Thanks

10 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

The future is only bright if drafting and development can get more impact players. Too many 3rd 4th liners. 5 6 dmen. Timmins sucks

I’ll note here that the probability of being able to draft impact players at 28th or later is pretty minuscule. So, if the Habs win this series, we’ll need to set our draft expectations accordingly.

As for Timmins, see the other thread.

47 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Bring back Danault and the top three centres are Nick, KK and Danault.

Add a puck moving D or two and they’ll be fine.

Normally, I would agree with you; but if we want this team to be serious cup contenders _next_year_ we need more:

* replace Tatar (IMO Toffoli)

* replace Drouin if he does not return (Caufield for an 82 game season is not it)

* add a winger to KK’s line , whatever that is , that enables KK to raise his game

* sort out the 4th line; i.e. upgrade Staal, replace Evans if he cannot return, decide on Lehkonen and define role 

on D, Weber has to play less minutes , that means we need two top-4 Ds . Any team with Weber playing 3rd pairing minutes is a cup contending team for me. Weber can mentor the young players, play on special teams and be fresh for the playoffs 

37 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

on D, Weber has to play less minutes , that means we need two top-4 Ds . Any team with Weber playing 3rd pairing minutes is a cup contending team for me. Weber can mentor the young players, play on special teams and be fresh for the playoffs

2020-21 regular season minutes/game:

• Petry 22:44
  • Weber 22:42
  • Chiarot 21:47
  • Edmundson 20:02
  • Romanov 17:15
  • Kulak 16:06

The top four are pretty balanced. If we can get some more minutes from the third pair that would be even better.

55 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

2020-21 regular season minutes/game:

• Petry 22:44
  • Weber 22:42
  • Chiarot 21:47
  • Edmundson 20:02
  • Romanov 17:15
  • Kulak 16:06

The top four are pretty balanced. If we can get some more minutes from the third pair that would be even better.

Weber seemed gassed at times and he played injured for far too long.

If the third pair is Romanov and Weber playing 19 minutes and we have a better top-4 because Habs signed a UFA: we will be I contending shape 

MB had a great offseason, I’m excited to see what he does this year although I hope that doesn’t start for a long time.

He’ll have some pieces to work with too - what does he get if Drouin moves? Late first rounder? 

27 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

MB had a great offseason, I’m excited to see what he does this year although I hope that doesn’t start for a long time.

He’ll have some pieces to work with too - what does he get if Drouin moves? Late first rounder? 

Sorry - you're not seriously proposing that Drouin would command a first-rounder in return, are you?

Maybe a 4th.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Sorry - you're not seriously proposing that Drouin would command a first-rounder in return, are you?

Maybe a 4th.

I hope Drouin can come back to hockey and be able to focus on playing.

I would be surprised he is traded. He is a Hab to a higher degree than Byron

14 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

No point in even trying to trade him now - his value is at an all-time, abyssal low. It's much smarter to hope he gets his issues sorted and can come back and play effectively.

13 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It may well be that if whatever troubles him involves stress that being a Hab is a part of the issue ... if so, hopefully he is honest with the GM ... and ... the GM listens

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

It may well be that if whatever troubles him involves stress that being a Hab is a part of the issue ... if so, hopefully he is honest with the GM ... and ... the GM listens

Assuming Drouin recovers ... a 0.5 points/game winger is worth only a fourth-round pick? Seriously?

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Assuming Drouin recovers ... a 0.5 points/game winger is worth only a fourth-round pick? Seriously?

No. Right NOW that might be closer to what he is worth.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Thats a big assumption for another team to take, hence the low value right now. 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No. Right NOW that might be closer to what he is worth.

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Thats a big assumption for another team to take, hence the low value right now. 

Exactly ... and until Drouin produces for an extended period with at least 0.5 pts/gm he remains devalued goods ... in his 4 seasons with the Habs JD has produced .6, .65, .56 and this past season .52 pts/gm ... if it was the Habs looking to acquire such a player I would hope the GM would either risk it at the reduced value or see at least 20 game of "normal" production before paying market-ish values ... but, as I said above, if playing in Montreal is part of the problem then it may be difficult for him to rehabilitate his game with the Habs ... quite a conundrum for MB this summer.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Maybe a 4th.

No, I was saying MB has Drouin and a late round first as pieces.. try to add a Dman. 

Nobody knows what the exact reason is for why Drouin isn't playing.  Depending on the reason, it is possible that he retires and never returns. 

Plus, if he has a substance abuse issue that is so bad that he is unable to play then I'm not sure if the Habs could trade him.  I doubt they could buy him out either.  ex:  typically, even if an employee is alcoholic, a company can't just fire them. I believe that similar employment rules and laws would apply to Drouin. 

Sure, lots of players have substance abuse issues, but they were still able to play when they were traded/bought out.  

Does anybody remember the incident with Mike Richards?  i.e. in 2015 he was caught at the Canadian border with Oxycontin.  The Kings tried to use that as an excuse to get rid of him for breach of contract.  However, when the NHLPA heard about it, they went to bat for Richards.  

38 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Nobody knows what the exact reason is for why Drouin isn't playing ...

So why even speculate, at some length, about something so stigmatizing as substance abuse ... 

39 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Nobody knows what the exact reason is for why Drouin isn't playing.  Depending on the reason, it is possible that he retires and never returns. 

Plus, if he has a substance abuse issue that is so bad that he is unable to play then I'm not sure if the Habs could trade him.  I doubt they could buy him out either.  ex:  typically, even if an employee is alcoholic, a company can't just fire them. I believe that similar employment rules and laws would apply to Drouin. 

Sure, lots of players have substance abuse issues, but they were still able to play when they were traded/bought out.  

Does anybody remember the incident with Mike Richards?  i.e. in 2015 he was caught at the Canadian border with Oxycontin.  The Kings tried to use that as an excuse to get rid of him for breach of contract.  However, when the NHLPA heard about it, they went to bat for Richards.  

Richards on coke was way better than sober Richards. Hahaha. Remember Philly? Dude was solid there