Fire Bergevin

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

But if he doesn't win, shouldn't he get fired? :blink:

I'm sure if we win the Cup some will still say so yes.

We are tied in the semi-finals with two centers under 22 and two rookies in the lineup. We have a ton of prospects in the system and a million draft picks coming up. This team is set up now and seemingly for a long time. This is also not his first nomination for GM of the year and wouldn't be surprised if it isn't his last. 

I've also been called a fanboy waving pom poms so what do I know? 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I was going to write exactly that same thing?

are you my long lost twin brother ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, illWill said:

IWe are tied in the semi-finals with two centers under 22 and two rookies in the lineup. We have a ton of prospects in the system and a million draft picks coming up. This team is set up now and seemingly for a long time. This is also not his first nomination for GM of the year and wouldn't be surprised if it isn't his last. 

The last two years he has done a good job to keep the Price- Weber cup window open

He also has protected the prospect pool but it does not have future NHL elite talent ; but the team has a healthy pipeline 

I expect this summer he completes his retool. Regardless of the playoff result, I expect more from MB

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

If he does win, based on the history of the award, there is a 9% chance he is fired after next season.

I feel as though some trolls have disappeared from the forum since the Habs have been winning recently.

I’d have to scroll three pages back to find them. 

5 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I feel as though some trolls have disappeared from the forum since the Habs have been winning recently.

I’d have to scroll three pages back to find them. 

There are definitely a few posters who only show up when the Habs lose. 

No doubt now (IMO and I suspect almost every other habs fan) that the team was built for the playoffs ... Bergevin is clearly coming back (unless, by some remote possibility, he chooses not to).

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

No doubt now (IMO and I suspect almost every other habs fan) that the team was built for the playoffs ... Bergevin is clearly coming back.

Yup, even if lose the next 3 straight in blowouts, which is fine by me, either way...unless Roy is Molson's nexxt pic.

Maybe need to deal a quality player (that no fan will 'want' to trade of course) + package of futures (or go the FOUR 1st round picks route) stuff for a primo player, whoever is GM.

Didnt Crosby say he was always a Habsfan?:ph34r:

12 hours ago, DON said:

Yup, even if lose the next 3 straight in blowouts, which is fine by me, either way...unless Roy is Molson's nexxt pic.

Maybe need to deal a quality player (that no fan will 'want' to trade of course) + package of futures (or go the FOUR 1st round picks route) stuff for a primo player, whoever is GM.

Didnt Crosby say he was always a Habsfan?:ph34r:

I am open to trading ANY player if it strikes me as the "right deal" ... and you can't trade for an impact player without giving up something many fans won't like to see leave ... as for the FOUR FIRSTS ... I've often wondered why teams don't just offer the top dollar amount for the 2 firsts, a second and a third range (last off-season that was $10,907,735) ... I would expect an offer would have to be at least $11.5M before a team that would match $10,907,735 wouldn't match it.

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, huzer said:

Bergevin didn't sound too committal in his presser. "I have on year left on my contract and I will honor that."

Wonder if he may just have been FRACKIN' with people

Just now, GHT120 said:

Wonder if he may just have been FRACKIN' with people

Or maybe he's driving a hard bargain with Molson, and this is a little bit of a message to the Kegmeister.

Prior to the end of the regular season, there was plenty of reason to believe owner Geoff Molson was firmly in Bergevin’s corner and had offered the GM an extension. But one source warned to be careful. He said Bergevin was burnt out and may not want to return.

At the very least, today’s comments are some confirmation of that. Staying another season gives everyone time to breathe, but it’s not like the white-hot spotlight of Montreal is going to decrease. I do wonder if Bergevin and Molson discuss a new front office structure, where Bergevin moves up to a President of Hockey Operations-type role and either Scott Mellanby or Martin Lapointe becomes GM.

- 31 Thoughts: Elliotte Friedman

This would make sense ... it would leave him with some (almost total?) control over the roster but take some burden off his shoulders and perhaps extend his job security.

BUT, have also heard that he may want to look for a job south of the border as his family/children live in the US ... don't know if the latter is true, but recall talk of him visiting his daughter in Colorado when there was Habs-Avs trade talk last season) ... perhaps Marc may look to be part of the Chicago management renewal, MB claims he knew nothing about the "Brad Aldritch" allegations, so he would offer a clean slate.

I was dismissing the “Bergevin wants out” storyline until I read Stu Cowan’s article. Looks like he definitely needs a break, at least…he talked about the year being hard on him personally. I assume he means all the firings he was forced to make. Also, MB is clearly an extrovert, and the pandemic has been disproportionately hard on extroverts, so there’s that.

For all that I’ve ragged on MB over the years, he had one of the most spectacular off-seasons I’ve seen by any GM, and he deserves 100% credit for (apparently consciously) building a “playoff team” that reached the Finals and came within three games of the Cup. His departure at this juncture would feel like him leaving after finally having mastered the gig.

Oh well, let’s see what the summer brings; it will be interesting to see whether he can pull off some of the same magic again, because the team needs more. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He will stay until he wins the cup IMHO

Or until Molson loses faith that he can win the Cup ... those are pretty much the two sides of the coin ... 

• 2 weeks later...

Every pic I see lately of MB shows him as being a mess. I’ve had longer hair, so I understand either you look great or a disaster - and there is more maintenance with longer hair. 

but still - it really seems like his swag is gone - that maybe in some way last season and this offseason has been sucking the life out of him and that really, the playoff success was more of a last gasp of energy (ie that lucky red suit). 

I don’t know if it is that the media is only sharing his disheveled look or if he really never has it all together any more! I’d have thought he would look better when announcing the draft picks. 

regardless, to me, via the eye-test, he isn’t getting fired, but he is about to quit. And perhaps because I’m more aware given Drouin’s recent struggle, I do hope everything is ok personally for MB. 

has anyone else been thinking the same regarding the departure of MB’s polished, suave look that has clearly gone beyond covid hair. 

He has not aged well for sure, but I was not  thinking in such dramatic way

either way, this is probably his last contract year unless he redeems himself from the draft and the mismanagement of player’s health during the playoffs

2 hours ago, revvvrob said:

Every pic I see lately of MB shows him as being a mess. I’ve had longer hair, so I understand either you look great or a disaster - and there is more maintenance with longer hair. 

but still - it really seems like his swag is gone - that maybe in some way last season and this offseason has been sucking the life out of him and that really, the playoff success was more of a last gasp of energy (ie that lucky red suit). 

I don’t know if it is that the media is only sharing his disheveled look or if he really never has it all together any more! I’d have thought he would look better when announcing the draft picks. 

regardless, to me, via the eye-test, he isn’t getting fired, but he is about to quit. And perhaps because I’m more aware given Drouin’s recent struggle, I do hope everything is ok personally for MB. 

has anyone else been thinking the same regarding the departure of MB’s polished, suave look that has clearly gone beyond covid hair. 

There’s a lot of people that have gone the mountain man route during the pandemic - hell look at Friedman. I’ve got some nephews, that haven’t had a haircut in over a year, and it doesn’t look they’ve cut their hair, or even combed it since the return ton”normal”. So maybe this is his new look

I have a longstanding theory that sometime in your 50s is when you start to tip over into looking ‘old.’ MB is 55, so his grizzled features fit that theory.

He also played as a gruelling stay-at-home NHL defender for 20 years…that’s not likely to lend itself to seamless aging either.