What will it take to make Habs a better club?

DON

I really strongly believe that Desharnais needs to shoot a LOT more. He seems to have quite a good shot. Becoming a more fully-rounded offensive player could be the missing piece for DD...separate him from Patches and tell him to shoot the damned puck.

They did that for awhile and it worked so of course that was the end of that. :)

I really strongly believe that Desharnais needs to shoot a LOT more. He seems to have quite a good shot. Becoming a more fully-rounded offensive player could be the missing piece for DD...separate him from Patches and tell him to shoot the damned puck.

Worked well when it was put in place. For all of what 5 games? MT could not stand for DD not playing top six.

The problem with separating DD and Max is that the team is left with zero reliable scoring options. Everytime DD and Max are separated the offense dries up. This happened as late as the second round versus Tampa. Leave DD-Max-Gallagher together, and focus on finding another 1st/2nd line RW who can produce 15-20/40 points and this team will be fine.

The problem with separating DD and Max is that the team is left with zero reliable scoring options. Everytime DD and Max are separated the offense dries up. This happened as late as the second round versus Tampa. Leave DD-Max-Gallagher together, and focus on finding another 1st/2nd line RW who can produce 15-20/40 points and this team will be fine.

I dont like having two tiny guys on the first line. Max needs atleast one line mate over 5' 6.

Habs also need a center that can out point Mitchell at play off time.

Definitely. But let's not forget that Mitchell was our best center points wise in these playoffs... :cry_smile:

Nope. Nope. Nope.

The new Dustin Penner.

I think Vermette is a Plekanec doppelganger. Not attempting to sign him would be a mistake. Im sure MB will be in on him. Lets not kid ourselves. Plekanec Vermette Eller Mitchell would be pretty tough to play against. Not ideal. But barring any major trade. Vermette is our best bet at getting over the proverbial hump. Upgrade on Desharnais.

I just watched Scherbak's 2015 highlights. This kid is going to be dynamite.

We will see, he did only have 28goals, so no question he has the talent, but can he consistently bring the effort (he was invisible in some games).

But do hope he shines in pre-season and with St John's in the fall.

I think Vermette is a Plekanec doppelganger. Not attempting to sign him would be a mistake. Im sure MB will be in on him. Lets not kid ourselves. Plekanec Vermette Eller Mitchell would be pretty tough to play against. Not ideal. But barring any major trade. Vermette is our best bet at getting over the proverbial hump. Upgrade on Desharnais.

Antoine Vermette is 32, just made $3.75M and will be looking for a raise. He had 13 goals and 38 points last season with a -25. -2 of that was from his time in Chicago and he only had 3 points in 19 regular season games there. In the playoffs he put up 7 points in 20 games and has a career 25 points in 78 playoff games. 2009-2010 was the last time he had more than 45 points and you want him to be the second line center.

Desharnais is 28, is making $3.5M for the next few years. He had 14 goals and 48 points last season with a +22. He had 3 points in 11 playoff games. You might say, "Look! Vermette is way better!" but you forget that Vermette had only 3 points in 11 playoff games at that point, same as DD. DD's career playoff points are 13 in 38 games. He has yet to in his career play 50+ games and not have more than 45 points. In 09-10, the last time Vermette had more than 45 points, Desharnais was just starting his NHL career. And you want to replace Desharnais with Vermette.

Pure craziness.

• Upvote 3

Antoine Vermette is 32, just made $3.75M and will be looking for a raise. He had 13 goals and 38 points last season with a -25. -2 of that was from his time in Chicago and he only had 3 points in 19 regular season games there. In the playoffs he put up 7 points in 20 games and has a career 25 points in 78 playoff games. 2009-2010 was the last time he had more than 45 points and you want him to be the second line center.

Desharnais is 28, is making $3.5M for the next few years. He had 14 goals and 48 points last season with a +22. He had 3 points in 11 playoff games. You might say, "Look! Vermette is way better!" but you forget that Vermette had only 3 points in 11 playoff games at that point, same as DD. DD's career playoff points are 13 in 38 games. He has yet to in his career play 50+ games and not have more than 45 points. In 09-10, the last time Vermette had more than 45 points, Desharnais was just starting his NHL career. And you want to replace Desharnais with Vermette.

Pure craziness.

Agreed. Vermette will be a cap millstone.

That said, while DD is a quality regular-season centreman, we will never win the Stanley Cup if he plays as he did last playoff while getting the kind of ice time he did. Either DD needs to find another playoff gear - unlikely but not impossible at this stage of his career - or we will need someone else to at C. Just not Vemette, please.

Agreed. Vermette will be a cap millstone.

That said, while DD is a quality regular-season centreman, we will never win the Stanley Cup if he plays as he did last playoff while getting the kind of ice time he did. Either DD needs to find another playoff gear - unlikely but not impossible at this stage of his career - or we will need someone else to at C. Just not Vemette, please.

I look at DD and Eller as $7M that should be going to one player instead of those two.

I look at DD and Eller as $7M that should be going to one player instead of those two.

That's what it boils down to.

Very true.

The plan, I believe, was for Eller to evolve into a legit 2nd-line C and supplant Desharnais, just as the plan was for Galchenyuk to emerge as a major offensive threat. There's still hope for the second, but Eller is very clearly never going to become a top-6 FW. It's a structural flaw in the rebuild.

Very true.

The plan, I believe, was for Eller to evolve into a legit 2nd-line C and supplant Desharnais, just as the plan was for Galchenyuk to emerge as a major offensive threat. There's still hope for the second, but Eller is very clearly never going to become a top-6 FW. It's a structural flaw in the rebuild.

and it really needs to be corrected. Love his potential but it ain't happening here.

me too....except its 8.5 mill and its dd and pleks

So earlier this morning, I post a note asking you nicely to stop turning everything into a bash Plekanec thread as once again I'm getting quite a few complaints about how often you're doing so. Your first post after that message was posted is this? Interesting. Certainly something I and the other mods will have to take under advisement...

• Upvote 1

^^^Boilerplate

I would actually go further and say that the constant messages about Plekanec are basically SPAM.

and how do they differ from constant ones on Eller?

and most would agree with you that we need an upgrade on "DD and Eller"...........but you don't consider that "spam" when you are the one bringing it up for the thousandth time....of course not. :thumbs_up:

So earlier this morning, I post a note asking you nicely to stop turning everything into a bash Plekanec thread as once again I'm getting quite a few complaints about how often you're doing so. Your first post after that message was posted is this? Interesting. Certainly something I and the other mods will have to take under advisement...

Ok coach. I'll try to discuss the center ice position on the habs with out mentioning their present number one center.

point taken

Ok coach. I'll try to discuss the center ice position on the habs with out mentioning their present number one center.

point taken

It's okay to talk about him. But, not every comment someone else posts about him has to be countered with one of your arguments about why he's bad, terrible, has to go, etc. No one denies the position can be improved; heck, I don't think anyone would deny that it should be improved. That doesn't mean Plekanec is part of/the root cause of the problem and that anyone who suggests otherwise needs a swift refresher of your opinion of him. Just don't jump to the extreme negativity every time someone mentions him or the centre position. It doesn't make for good discussion.

• Upvote 1

Quote from Ron Hextall on coaching staffs:

I think when you look at a staff, you want a defenseman to run your defense and to work with your defensemen. You want an offensive mind on your staff to help the power play and the offensive side of the game. And then the other guy typically is a forward and a little bit of a sounding board for players, a cushion, a good guy with personality.

I don't see that on the Habs. This is the kind of philosophy i agree with. Maybe I am wrong and we have all these people.