Petry 6 year deal!

DON

WHHHHAT?!!! Are you serious? :pray:

D is solid now for foreseeable future.

will Emelin get moved is only question I have now?

TSN690 just noted it as breaking news

• Upvote 1

Six years, $33m

$5.5m is pretty much what I hoped.

$5.5m/yr might look darn good by year 4 or 5 of the deal and I would almost guess even a bit of a 'discount' from what he would be offered on the open market

This was me a few days ago in my Petry free agent assessment:

If Montreal is going to re-sign him, it’s going to be at an amount that many are going to be uncomfortable with. At the end of the day, I think he gets at least six years with an AAV around $5.5 million.

Not a bad guess...

• Upvote 1

Great news. Now if we can just pull off the rumoured Plex for Ryan O'Reilly trade, cut a bit of dead weight to make room to sign Radulov...and this team is a serious contender.

Go MB GO!

I hate this signing, pending other trades.

I guess 5.5 is the going rate for a #4? Or maybe they think he can play on his offside with Subban.

The Habs have 64 million in 18 players, Galchenyuk and Beaulieu need deals. The Cap is unlikely to go above 71 mil. Do the math.

Petry

1. Doesn't score goals.

2. Is bad on the power play.

He addresses no need and is making the salary of a UFA 20-25 goal player.

Yet another bad off season move for Bergevin.

Let me put it this way-I hate this deal so much and what it means for Tinordi, their scoring problems and their style of play that I'm considering forgoing Center Ice to start following the Panthers full time.

I guess the "blue chip" D prospects were chocolate chips or busts or something.

Come watch the Habs eek out regular season games 2-1. JOKE

Let me put it this way-I hate this deal so much and what it means for Tinordi, their scoring problems and their style of play that I'm considering forgoing Center Ice to start following the Panthers full time.

Calm down. Time to take Hockey Defence 101:

Jarred Tinordi plays on the left side of the rink and is left handed.

Jeff Petry plays on the right side of the rink with a right handed shot.

We had absolutely nobody in our system who could come up in the next two years to play Top 4 D on the right side. That's why people on certain blogs were artificially hyping up Nygren so much. He was about it when it came to right handed defensive prospects. Guys like Dietz, Thrower, Ellis, Lernout, none of those guys are going to become top four D-men in the next three years. Maybe none of them even become third pairing defencemen.

Nathan Beaulieu and Jarred Tinordi are our best D prospects right now and they are both left handed shots and left pair defencemen. Petry does absolutely nothing to cost them jobs in the NHL.

A little dramatic. But i understand your point to a degree. This team has needed a true number 3 defenseman for ages. Petry is that. He is a true #3. They now need a first line player in their core and they are perennial contenders. I wish they picked up scoring but I am not disappointed with defensive.

From another board:

Lavoie saying on TVA that Petry pushed his agents to take a discount because he didn't want to play anywhere else. They wanted him to wait and raise his price, he said ****it and sign me there.

6 years.. A little much. But he got Hamrlik money in the end! :thumbs_up:

I love it.

Galchenyuk time!