Petry 6 year deal!

DON

MaxPac's contract is the best in the league (despite what some idiot toronto writer wrote last year), but that doesn't necessarily mean Petry's is below market value. I think Stralman's contract is much better (both $ and term). Some idiot GM may have paid more, but I see Petry as a $4.5-$5M Dman and we paid an extra $500k for the Quebec tax premium.

Just because some GM will be stupid, doesn't mean that a stupid offer is market value. I see the Ference/Wiz and other similar contracts to be way above market value by stupid gm's.

I agree that under normal circumstances he is a 5 million dollar guy (what ever happened to the Million Dollar man?) but with the fact that there is nothing available for a right handed d who can actually play the market value increases, cause there would be more than 1 idiot gm ready to go higher. And we have an auction. ( more than 2 bidders equals an auction) :)

Actually, what the highest bid for him would have been is, by definition, market value. That's what market value is - what someone is willing to pay. Petry would have gotten 6.5 as a UFA. Which might be overpaying, but that's his market value.

Actually, what the highest bid for him would have been is, by definition, market value. That's what market value is - what someone is willing to pay. Petry would have gotten 6.5 as a UFA. Which might be overpaying, but that's his market value.

You are absolutely correct.

If Petry plays the same game as he supplied in his stint with us last year, it's definitely a fair contract. He was a minutes-munching all-around d-man in the fashion of a Hamrlik, McDonagh, or Hamhuis. As someone pointed out, he gave Subban a run for his money as 'most valuable D-man' at certain points in the playoffs (although this has to do with PK not really being vintage). Add to that the R-handed thing and he really becomes a major asset. The point is that we managed to bag a highly-sought-after UFA without having to compete with ridiculous overpays from desperate GMs elsewhere. Otherwise put, it's a fair deal on its own terms; factor in that he was basically a UFA and it becomes a *relative* steal. That may be more of an indictment of the irrationality of the UFA market than praise for the deal itself, but it's the truth nonetheless.

• Upvote 2

As Bob Macown puts it. In the nhl its not the million to three million dollar guys that hurt you. Nor is it the seven to ten millon dollar guys that hurt you. Its the 4.5 to 6.5 million dollar average joes that will kill you. In a salary cap NHL they are USUALLY the most over paid guys in the nhl........not the low paid third and fourth liners, not the stars.

Hopefully Petry continues to get even better.

Dion Phaneuf, Phil Kessel.

(Also, 3 million are the average joes.)

Using to leafs who's contracts came from a much ridiculed and fired gm means squat.

Both those players were not even wanted by the original teams and are the butt of endless jokes coast to coast. Not to mention they are leafs.

Got any real examples and we'll have some thing to banter about.

Why, who cares what they get paid? Didnt you want a top 4 upgrade, I know many have been clamoring for one for couple years.

Also, Petry is a different d-man than those, Franson and Green are both scary defensively (Caps/Nashville dont see them as worth keeping) and dont know Sekera, never noticed him before.

Reread what I said. I was responding to Jeff Price and market value.

How do you know? Petry is the first UFA dman to sign. What comparable players sign for determines the market value, not what you say it is.

What bid? Were other teams bidding? No. This is another case of Bergevin bidding against himself.

Replacement for Markov? LOL. HW is funnier than Saturday morning cartoons.

If Petry is more valuable than Sekera or Franson why did they get more in trade value?

semin at $7m.

Using to leafs who's contracts came from a much ridiculed and fired gm means squat.

Both those players were not even wanted by the original teams and are the butt of endless jokes coast to coast. Not to mention they are leafs.

Got any real examples and we'll have some thing to banter about.

As Bob Macown puts it. In the nhl its not the million to three million dollar guys that hurt you. Nor is it the seven to ten millon dollar guys that hurt you. Its the 4.5 to 6.5 million dollar average joes that will kill you. In a salary cap NHL they are USUALLY the most over paid guys in the nhl........not the low paid third and fourth liners, not the stars.

Hopefully Petry continues to get even better.

Yep. Look at the Bruins, or any team that's in cap trouble. Too many overpaid middling players.

Right now this team has Eller, Desharnais, Emelin, Petry and Prust eating up 20 mil for maybe 35 goals.

Yep. Look at the Bruins, or any team that's in cap trouble. Too many overpaid middling players.

Right now this team has Eller, Desharnais, Emelin, Petry and Prust eating up 20 mil for maybe 35 goals.

Not to mention that Price guy... 6.5M and not a goal scored yet. At least Theodore scored a goal...

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Atleast one of those guys will be moved; you'd think anyways.

How do you know? Petry is the first UFA dman to sign. What comparable players sign for determines the market value, not what you say it is.

What bid? Were other teams bidding? No. This is another case of Bergevin bidding against himself.

Replacement for Markov? LOL. HW is funnier than Saturday morning cartoons.

If Petry is more valuable than Sekera or Franson why did they get more in trade value?

Every teams situation is different. A gm absolutely has to have player x so he pays more. There is no concrete blue book value for a player.

and plekanic getting 5 million, most shifts among forwards, powerplay, penalty kill and plays center on our number one line............. gets one goal in 12 play off games. now that a waste of money and prime ice time.

wow...when did this thread turn into a bitch fest

Haha, yep...

But I still like the Petry signing!

Ok so the Petry deal is done...what to do next? If MB is to acquire an offensive first liner, atleast two players have to be moved. Pleks, DD, PAP, Emelin, Eller, and yes I'd include Markov, as possible players on the block..also prospects and picks. Any two of these guys, a prospect, and 1st rd pick might get us that bell cow we've craved for years

Guest Stogey24

Ok so the Petry deal is done...what to do next? If MB is to acquire an offensive first liner, atleast two players have to be moved. Pleks, DD, PAP, Emelin, Eller, and yes I'd include Markov, as possible players on the block..also prospects and picks. Any two of these guys, a prospect, and 1st rd pick might get us that bell cow we've craved for years

I don't see Eller being moved.

Is moving P.A really a good decision? This team is seriously lacking scoring depth on the right side. He's Puck possession scorer, so maybe he really isn't a good fit here, but his value is lower than ever at this point and he's the highest point per game player behind Max on this team. I'm starting the season with P.A on this roster if I'm Bergevin, cap stricken or not

Yes I agree with you on both Eller and PAP but that list of players is only those of which I thought could be in play. We have to move contracts if we expect to land a big fish for 1st line.

I dont expect to land one. Draft picks for TP, DD, PAPS,

Yes I agree with you on both Eller and PAP but that list of players is only those of which I thought could be in play. We have to move contracts if we expect to land a big fish for 1st line.

They aren't getting a big fish. Bergevin will shift around the money and ship out Gilbert to keep a couple million at the deadline. He's never made a deal or big money signing for a forward, even when he had the dough. He's not going to wheel and deal and restructure the team. Bergevin is happy with the status quo, a team good enough to get into the second round for the foreseeable future.

I hope you all enjoyed the buzz from the Petry signing. That'll probably be it for big news until training camp.

Let's put our hands together for Petry and his five goals next year!