Beaulieu signs a 2 yr contract at $1m/yr

DON

It's a bit cheaper than I thought he'd get (I was expecting a $1.25 M cap hit, $1M/$1.5M breakdown). It's hard to be upset with this signing...

What makes me happy is that this time, they announced the signing before I posted what would have been tonight's article. (They have a knack for doing things an hour or two after I post a column so it's finally nice that they went first this time...) Here's my write-up: http://www.habsworld.net/2015/06/nathan-beaulieu-signs-a-2-year-deal/

I think Thomas and Mitchell will get contracts don't think Flynn will get one. I think the next one to sign will be galchenyuk. Unless they tell tinordi he will get a spot on the team, I think he might be a hard one to get under contract.

I think Thomas and Mitchell will get contracts don't think Flynn will get one. I think the next one to sign will be galchenyuk. Unless they tell tinordi he will get a spot on the team, I think he might be a hard one to get under contract.

There's no real reason not to offer Flynn a contract. The qualifying offer is for under $750,000 and he's worth that.

As for Tinordi, what leverage does he have? He's not arbitration-eligible and no team is going to offer sheet him. The Habs don't have to (nor should they) promise him a roster spot. He'll get a qualifying offer that's two-way. The team will then offer a lesser amount that's a one-way deal. One of those two will get accepted. That's what usually happens with players in his situation.

There's no real reason not to offer Flynn a contract. The qualifying offer is for under $750,000 and he's worth that.

As for Tinordi, what leverage does he have? He's not arbitration-eligible and no team is going to offer sheet him. The Habs don't have to (nor should they) promise him a roster spot. He'll get a qualifying offer that's two-way. The team will then offer a lesser amount that's a one-way deal. One of those two will get accepted. That's what usually happens with players in his situation.

And he will jump on it like my Jack Russell on a bone.

Guest Stogey24

This salary is perfect.

He certainly hasn't earned more than that, yet.

Yet you think Gilbert is being under paid at 2.8 for his 12pts. Hmm

Yet you think Gilbert is being under paid at 2.8 for his 12pts. Hmm

Gilbert contributed more to the Habs last year than Beaulieu, in point totals, defensive reliability, and ice time.

Don't get me wrong, Beaulieu's the better guy to have for the future, but Gilbert provided more in the now. Beaulieu's presence on our roster was to help get him ready. For the most part, he hurt more than he contributed. You don't pay a guy for "unrealized potential." Gilbert was a very-slightly-better-than-the-average-NHL-Defenseman last year. Beaulieu was a fringe NHL defenseman last year.

Guest Stogey24

Agree to disagree. I've never disliked a player more than Gilbert, so my opinion pretty much as biased as they come

Agree to disagree. I've never disliked a player more than Gilbert, so my opinion pretty much as biased as they come

That's a bold statement haha. He's only been on the team for 1 year and quietly went about his business. There has to be more to it, like did he used to date your wife or something? :lol:

I'm with you Stogey. Never seen what others see in Gilbert other than filling a jersey for a reasonable amount of ice time.
I don't agree that Gilbert is slightly better than average in this league. At all.
About 50% of the times that I was pissed at one of our dman last season was because of him.

Guest Stogey24

He gave Beaulieu that suicide pass that took him out of the first round. Then gave Plekanec the same pass like two games later; the entire Habs bench was screaming.

This past season is a spitting image of the Gilbert that played for Minnesota. He wasn't this terrible with puck in Edmonton.