Torrey Mitchell re-signed

kaos

I think he's a good above average 4th line center that fits in with the team. The 3 years is long but it looks like it was done to lower the cap hit. He made 1.9m last year and probably would've gotten around the same on open market.

Quite fine with it. Came up big for us in the post-season, right handed shot, important on the faceoffs to replace Malhotra.

Prust: $2.5M

Mitchell: $1.2M

Weise: $1.025M

De La Rose: $0.925M

Smith-Pelly: $0.800M

Flynn: RFA, will likely make less than Mitchell

= $6.45M-$7.25M for six of our 14 forwards. Pretty good pricing for our bottom six. When you consider that our top line (Patches-Plek-Gally) only costs us $13.25M for 87 goals. It's everything in the middle (second line + Eller) that needs some work.

Unless we make some significant trades/signings/buy-out's we're looking at:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher

Galchenyuk - Desharnais - Parenteau

De La Rose - Eller - Smith-Pelly/Weise

Prust - Mitchell - Flynn/Weise

it would be nice if MB trades for or signs forwards that arent' all pluggers (weisse, malhotra, flynn, mitchell, Prust), or washed up or castaways (briere, PAP). Whose next St Louis?? Lecavalieer??

We have enough plumbers to fill 3 lines. im still waiting for the skilled scorer that isnt clearly washed up.

it would be nice if MB trades for or signs forwards that arent' all pluggers (weisse, malhotra, flynn, mitchell, Prust), or washed up or castaways (briere, PAP). Whose next St Louis?? Lecavalieer??

We have enough plumbers to fill 3 lines. im still waiting for the skilled scorer that isnt clearly washed up.

Good for you for offering up some reasonable criticisms. I'm disturbed about the lack of ANY criticism towards MB in the fan base or media.

Bargain Bin just locked up a guy who had one goal vs the Hamburglar in 26 games for three years. Freaking Dave Stubbs called saving .25 mil on N8 a "masterstroke."

Watch how fast people turn when Price goes back to being a .920 or .925 goalie...

Got to say, it's not looking good for Centre Ice. The Panthers are free, and young, and have Jagr and Gallant.

I guess is a good deal, 3 years seems funny though? Good team player and must have some leadership or something they like (being local kid?).

Good for you for offering up some reasonable criticisms. I'm disturbed about the lack of ANY criticism towards MB in the fan base or media.

Bargain Bin just locked up a guy who had one goal vs the Hamburglar in 26 games for three years. Freaking Dave Stubbs called saving .25 mil on N8 a "masterstroke."

Watch how fast people turn when Price goes back to being a .920 or .925 goalie...

Got to say, it's not looking good for Centre Ice. The Panthers are free, and young, and have Jagr and Gallant.

It's hard for Zoot to swing deals when he doesn't have massive young assets/picks to give up in return. As someone mentioned in another thread, the Habs are not rolling in Grade-A prospects, nor are they anxious to deal away more picks (understandably).

I think Habs29's critique is a bit unfair, actually. Zoot went out and acquired Vanek and Petry. Both represented major and highly-sought-after acquisitions around the league, not 'plumbers.'

The Briere thing was unquestionably stupid (and probably forced upon MB by ownership), but the PAP deal seemed like a gamble worth trying. Had Parenteau returned to form, we'd be praising Zoot to the skies. I see that as a reasonable attempt to take a chance on a player with upside in return for next to nothing. So it didn't work out; nothing in it handcuffs the team in the medium term or later.

Beyond that, it is simply too early in MB's tenure to form definitive, declamatory opinions about his regime. What we've seen so far is a GM who saw his team as a work in progress and who was reluctant to get locked into massive, big-money UFA contracts, at least until the team had gelled further. The Petry deal breaks that pattern and perhaps suggests that MB is transitioning into 'Cup contender' mode. But attacking the GM for not waving a magic wand and snagging Ovechkin seems a bit much - especially when some of the same critics are pooh-poohing the very thought that we might go out and get Kessel. So it seems that it's not only that Bergy must acquire an impact scorer, but that scorer must have no weaknesses or holes in his game or character, and also must come with an agreeable contract. Hmmm. Piece of cake, apparently.

• Upvote 2

Interesting that Bergevin has signed all the players he acquired at the deadline (assuming Flynn gets his qualifying offer), which basically means no assets were lost (and every player was worth the price, if not a steal.)

We're basically at a full roster for depth, and considering the youth that will be making a push for spots this September, Bergevin has put himself in a position to try and grab a scorer at the draft/pre-season training camp.

Now he just needs a dance partner...

Interesting that Bergevin has signed all the players he acquired at the deadline (assuming Flynn gets his qualifying offer), which basically means no assets were lost (and every player was worth the price, if not a steal.)

We're basically at a full roster for depth, and considering the youth that will be making a push for spots this September, Bergevin has put himself in a position to try and grab a scorer at the draft/pre-season training camp.

Now he just needs a dance partner...

Agreed, the habs may not have grade A prospects, but the cupboard is far from bare. There is room two give up a couple to sweeten a deal. Option A though is signing another high calibre free-agent to a fair deal. But that's very very hard to do.

I like the Mitchell signing at that price, guy is RH shot center, with great speed and defensive game.

Cucumber said all I would have said Re Bergevin being criticized for his "not landing Malkin type scorer", ridiculous to condemn him, or you think he is lying about how hard it is to pick up a top 10 NHL centerman?

I don't think he would be around long if he blows up this team to get an elite scorer, that's not available anyhow, don't forget with any luck at all in games 1,2,3 vs Tampa, we could have easily moved on instead of Tampa.

This team isn't that far off, and the prospect pool isn't looking too bad...

I have issues at the Mitchell signing per se (would have preferred two years), just sick of always seing plumbers or has beens signed. I didn't consider the PAP trade a good one. Good s younger bum with more term than Briere.

Other teams have picked up impactfull centres - seguin, Spezza, carter, to name a few. Even the hawks he picked up a old Richards, paid what he is worth now, not what he would have been signed for 3 year earlier like Briere was.

I like the Mitchell signing at that price, guy is RH shot center, with great speed and defensive game.

Cucumber said all I would have said Re Bergevin being criticized for his "not landing Malkin type scorer", ridiculous to condemn him, or you think he is lying about how hard it is to pick up a top 10 NHL centerman?

I don't think he would be around long if he blows up this team to get an elite scorer, that's not available anyhow, don't forget with any luck at all in games 1,2,3 vs Tampa, we could have easily moved on instead of Tampa.

This team isn't that far off, and the prospect pool isn't looking too bad...

Richards would have been an intriguing pick-up, although (of course) everyone would have accused MB of picking up another washed-up bum and a redundant player to boot, given Pleks, DD, the incredible superstar Lars Eller, and Galy. The team has second-line C up the wazoo. In any case, he would hardly have been a game-changer for our team.

Seguin and Spezza are bad examples, because in neither case would the seller have sent those guys to the Habs.

And again, the claim that MB 'only signs plumbers' involves putting our hands over our ears and saying "la la la, I can't HEAR you" when someone says the names Vanek and Petry.

It's not a valid critique to say that the GM has failed to wave a magic wand and solve all of the team's problems with some Miracle Deal.

• Upvote 1

Yes the 'he didn't sign an all star' crowd seems a bit unrealistic, I would almost bet Mitchell will be cheapest RH 4th line centre. Again addressing other complaint that spend too much on bottom six guys.

And some who say spent too much on Petry, still want to take $8m Kessel on for next decade?

But, will always be disgruntled % of folks no matter what is done, I guess should know that by now, but still always a bit of head scratcher.

I see no problem with ths signing. 1.2 million for depth centre, what the heck do you want. He was making 1.9 wasn't he. Looks like MB saved 700 grand.

• Upvote 1

Great signing by Bergevin. MItchell is a good 4th line centre. RH shot, relatively good on face offs and is a local kid. I don't know why everyone is freaking out about the term of the deal? 3 years at 1.2 million$ is not a problem!

• Upvote 1

Great signing by Bergevin. MItchell is a good 4th line centre. RH shot, relatively good on face offs and is a local kid. I don't know why everyone is freaking out about the term of the deal? 3 years at 1.2 million$ is not a problem!

3 years is a lot for a fourth liner, especially one that doesn't have a lot of experience in the role the Habs envision for him. They view him as a centre. No other team in his career did because he's not particularly strong on the draw (note a lot of sub-50% numbers in that link). His hot streak in that area with Montreal was an exception to the norm. Also, it's not crazy to think that in a couple of years, someone from St. John's will be ready to take that role too (my early money is on Gregoire).

That all said, the money isn't crazy and if they had to, they could find a taker for him if someone else is ready to push him out but I'd have been happier with two years instead of three. Hopefully going that extra year saved them a bit on the money side as a result.

I'm honestly of the opinion that Mitchell makes a little too much for what he accomplishes and has a little too long of a term for a guy who hasn't proven much in the NHL.

But I'm also looking at how good he can be to the locker room, how he'll ensure we don't throw some 20 year old kid onto the fourth line again to be burned every night on the road, how passionate he is as a local kid to finally be a Hab, how he's not that old and he has a lot of quality skills.

By the third year he'll probably ride the pine and be in the press box a lot, but it's not that big of a deal. It's a bigger deal when guys like Parenteau are scratched for me.

I think Torrey Mitchell is a good fit for the club and $1.2M on the cap for the next three years is the least of our worries.

• Upvote 1