2015 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Actually even are 3 on 3 hockey tournaments. And yes is a pond hockey type deal and no question is more 'hockey-like' than the goofy skills competition of shootout. I would even prefer to see ties to get rid of shootout.

But, have no fear all will love seeing best players in world in wide open end to end play and in the end you will still your much beloved shootout, just not as often..

Sure, when do they happen in the NHL? Or in IIHF?

And we're still gonna see shootouts. Three on three is just going to lead to more icings in overtime due to missed passes, trust me. Everyone is going to attempt long bombs and miss them.

The shootout is great. Player vs. Goalie. No clutching and grabbing. No offsides. No players laying on the ice. It's the game of hockey boiled down to its essence. Of course, the NHL needs to change the shootout to just being 10 seconds to take one shot instead of the current dumb rules about whether or not the puck is going forward or not, but hey, work in progress.

In my opinion the only problem with the shootout is that teams play for them far too often. I love watching the shootout and am disappointed when a game ends in overtime. I think that teams should be rewarded for winning a game in regulation and shouldn't share the same amount of points as someone who squeaked out a win in the shootout. I also think that it's crazy that games are worth different amount of points based on when the game is ended. How is it fair that one game gives out 3 points and another only gives out 2? The quality of play during the last 10 minutes of regulation definitely diminishes as teams are playing for 1 point with a chance at 2. If the point system changed you would see teams going for the win much more.

In my opinion the only problem with the shootout is that teams play for them far too often. I love watching the shootout and am disappointed when a game ends in overtime. I think that teams should be rewarded for winning a game in regulation and shouldn't share the same amount of points as someone who squeaked out a win in the shootout. I also think that it's crazy that games are worth different amount of points based on when the game is ended. How is it fair that one game gives out 3 points and another only gives out 2? The quality of play during the last 10 minutes of regulation definitely diminishes as teams are playing for 1 point with a chance at 2. If the point system changed you would see teams going for the win much more.

The biggest issue in the NHL is the lack of penalties. It's why scoring is down and why games goto shootout so often. I know some people complained about it but I was fine with how things were in 05-06 with every infraction called. Call the penalties until players get smarter. Instead we pushed the referees to put the whistles away. If penalties go up, powerplays go up, powerplay goals go up and less games will goto OT and SO.

Hamilton Bulldogs went to 1 shootout last year, with new format. Overall AHL shootouts dropped dramatically, was fast exciting hockey and I bet will be very few negative comments. We shall see though and I am quite looking forward to it.

Hamilton Bulldogs went to 1 shootout last year, with new format. Overall AHL shootouts dropped dramatically, was fast exciting hockey and I bet will be very few negative comments. We shall see though and I am quite looking forward to it.

Bulldogs played 7 SO games.

No, just the one last year, the final game of the season. (And fittingly, they lost.) They were 5-7 the year before.

Ah, the St. John's website didn't carry the old Bulldogs games over. Either way, Bulldogs were a bit of a special case. Shootouts dropped but not to the point where every team was only playing one or two of them.

Well...even one less shootout is a step in right direction.

I kinda agree 3-on-3 isn't normal and gimmicky vs simply 5 on 5 for 5 minutes OT and possibly end in a tie, but I would guess majority of fans want a winner.

Cody Franson finally gets a contract, signing a two year deal with Buffalo with a cap hit of $3.325 million. He got his 'big' raise in the end as he'll earn $25,000 more per year in this contract than his $3.3 M deal from last season.

There was a small trade last night as Colorado acquired Brandon Gormley from Arizona in exchange for Stefan Elliott in a swap of underachieving youngsters. I like the move for the Avs; Elliott has already cleared waivers before and shouldn't have had much value. Gormley struggled with the Coyotes but I think he has a better shot of cracking a full time roster spot with the Avalanche whereas I can see Elliott on waivers less than a month from now. For anyone wondering what Jarred Tinordi's trade value for another player would be, there it is as he and Gormley are in the same situation.

Well...even one less shootout is a step in right direction.

I kinda agree 3-on-3 isn't normal and gimmicky vs simply 5 on 5 for 5 minutes OT and possibly end in a tie, but I would guess majority of fans want a winner.

Ties sove nothing. Do we have ties in the playoffs? No. Winner takes all. 2 points for a win 0 for a loss. Don't care how you lose, ya lost.

After all the (rightful) grief they got with their puzzling three first round selections, this seems awfully fitting for Boston:

The Leafs are bringing in lots of players on tryouts it seems - after Devin Setoguchi and Curtis Glencross from earlier, they've now brought Brad Boyes in to camp.

Chicago has finally moved Kris Versteeg and did so for next to nothing if not less. The Hawks moved him and Peter Nordstrom plus a third round pick to Carolina for a couple of prospects picked in the sixth round in past years plus a fifth rounder. This makes me wonder if that report about Versteeg rejecting a deal to the Habs around the draft was true or not - if so, why then did he accept a trade to a bottom feeder in Carolina?

Chicago has finally moved Kris Versteeg and did so for next to nothing if not less. The Hawks moved him and Peter Nordstrom plus a third round pick to Carolina for a couple of prospects picked in the sixth round in past years plus a fifth rounder. This makes me wonder if that report about Versteeg rejecting a deal to the Habs around the draft was true or not - if so, why then did he accept a trade to a bottom feeder in Carolina?

I'd ask for a trade anywhere to get off a team with a guy like Pat Kane.

Maybe he doesn't want to play in canada. He did play 1 season in Toronto, that could sour a guy on the whole universe. :)

I'd ask for a trade anywhere to get off a team with a guy like Pat Kane.

Hey he hasn't been charged or convicted yet. Innocent untill proven guilty. On the other hand he is an arrogant little douche, from what I hear.

After all the (rightful) grief they got with their puzzling three first round selections, this seems awfully fitting for Boston:

The three first round picks all failed the conditioning test: Senyshyn, DeBrusk, Zboril.

— Amalie Benjamin (@AmalieBenjamin) September 10, 2015

Anything that causes the Bruins pain brings infinite joy to my heart. Long may their picks look like buffoons.

I liked him too, but there's no denying that he occupied the slot reserved for Fan Whipping Boy (currently held by Gilbert, with Emelin waiting in the wings; it's usually reserved for a defenceman, for whatever reason).

I liked him too, but there's no denying that he occupied the slot reserved for Fan Whipping Boy (currently held by Gilbert, with Emelin waiting in the wings; it's usually reserved for a defenceman, for whatever reason).

He was legitimately by every possible analytical statistic one of the worst defencemen, if not, the worst defencemen in the NHL. He had absolutely zero NHL skill other than really big looking bodychecks, and even those usually put him out of position.

He's the kind of player old school GM's absolutely love but don't realize are huge detriments to their team on the ice.

• Upvote 1