Parenteau Bought Out

lazy26

My guess is Andrighetto, Scherbak and McCarron will get a hard look at camp for the open RW spot.

I sincerely hope not. None of them are close to NHL ready. Andrighetto didn't improve at all while in Hamilton last year and isn't ready to be gifted 15 minutes a night in Montreal, Scherbak's defensive play is far too weak to be in the NHL yet, and McCarron may not even be a top six option at any time in his career and certainly needs time in the minors to work on his offensive game.

I sincerely hope not. None of them are close to NHL ready. Andrighetto didn't improve at all while in Hamilton last year and isn't ready to be gifted 15 minutes a night in Montreal, Scherbak's defensive play is far too weak to be in the NHL yet, and McCarron may not even be a top six option at any time in his career and certainly needs time in the minors to work on his offensive game.

You may be right. Oh well, let's pluck Michael Ryder off the scrap heap. He's good for 10 to 35 goals.... Maybe :/

But gotta always hope a rookie or two can crack lineup like a ..Hudon, Dietz, Scherbak. Maybe not in Oct but...

Budget for those guys to hopefully force your hand midseason. That way, if they make it out of camp, you have a healthy surplus of talent. If they're ready midseason, you still have a surplus (or at least quality replacements for injuries). If you pencil them into a spot during the offseason and they make it, that's all well and good but the depth isn't strong. If you pencil them into a spot in the offseason and they're not ready, you're in a lot of trouble and scrambling to sign so-so replacements or playing the waiver wire. Either way, you're not in as good of shape organizationally as you are by not handing them a spot in the summer.

The three players suggested may very well play in Montreal at some point in the season. But it's better if it happens later rather than sooner for the above reason.

I guess Hudon seems most likely to or deserves a crack at highest level, is what pre-season is for I suppose.

But Timmins did note Galchenyuk-Sherbak had good chemistry last camp, enough for him to crack lineup? I mean he is just trying to be a winger, not a more important role like D or Goalie.

Any monkey can be a winger for crying out loud! :nuts:

i don't agree with you there.... You would have to watch a lot of Everett hockey to come up with that conclusion on scherbak so Im guessing you have.

-Andrighetto was barely given a fair shake last season after impressing ever so slightly LY

- if anyone can fit into the nhl game without playing first in the A it's big mike as his physical stature is already NHL worthy. Also, his defensive awareness has been duly noted by his coaching staff and magnified by his MVP performance during the memorial cup run... I for one think both sherback and mcCaron have outside chances at cracking the lineup barring UFA's or trades

i don't agree with you there.... You would have to watch a lot of Everett hockey to come up with that conclusion on scherbak so Im guessing you have.

-Andrighetto was barely given a fair shake last season after impressing ever so slightly LY

- if anyone can fit into the nhl game without playing first in the A it's big mike as his physical stature is already NHL worthy. Also, his defensive awareness has been duly noted by his coaching staff and magnified by his MVP performance during the memorial cup run... I for one think both sherback and mcCaron have outside chances at cracking the lineup barring UFA's or trades

I would rather see any of those three get shot than watch another bloody game with Prust or Wiesse in the top 6, or even the top 9 for any extended period.

McCarron has an NHL-ready frame, I agree with you there. That doesn't mean he's ready for a top six NHL role, which is the role that needs to be filled with Parenteau's departure. Very few prospects are ready to jump into a top six NHL role without any time in the minors whatsoever. It's even rarer that late first rounders accomplish that feat.

I'm completely fine with Weise in the top nine. He had 29 points at +21. That's just outside the Top 50 for scoring for right wingers. Only four points less than Nail "Let's trade for him and give up Plekanec's 60 points" Yakupov.

I would prefer him in the bottom six but Weise is good as a top six injury replacement. He'd be fine on the third line. Nothing guaranteed that DSP will be better on the third line as of yet. Will he likely be better than Weise on the third line? Sure, but no guarantee. I'm just in no "Weise on fourth line or else" opinion.

Anyway, what this team needs is not someone to replace Parenteau in the top 6, it's someone to replace Gallagher on the 1st line...

Anyway, what this team needs is not someone to replace Parenteau in the top 6, it's someone to replace Gallagher on the 1st line...

except Gallagher would be an insanely good second liner. (Not that thats a bad thing)

I think MB goes after MSL. Might even take less money to move back home. 6Mill/2yr

I hope not, it would be Briere all over again. Sign the french vet, be sorely disappointed. Mind you MSL has the talent to turn around and have another 70 point season, but i see ~40 or less equally as likely.

Also, glad to see another Newf on the forum!

except Gallagher would be an insanely good second liner. (Not that thats a bad thing)

Right now the Habs top six based on scoring totals rank is:

Left Wing: Pacioretty (6th), Galchenyuk (T-25th)

Center: Plekanec (25th), Desharnais (40th)

Right Wing: Gallagher (24th), Weise (T-52nd)

We need to get a right winger that can put up more than 35 points, or if he's better than Gallagher, he's a 50+ point RWer.

Who knows if scoring goes up next season but if it doesn't, that's what we're looking at.

I hope not, it would be Briere all over again. Sign the french vet, be sorely disappointed. Mind you MSL has the talent to turn around and have another 70 point season, but i see ~40 or less equally as likely.

Also, glad to see another Newf on the forum!

Glad to see another newf too by! I do think we do see a trade by july 1st.

Glad to see another newf too by! I do think we do see a trade by july 1st.

Yea, with Parenteau gone something gotta happen on that RW, might be UFA rather than trade. But Bergevin also said signing Petry and Mitchell was his July 1st, so who knows!

McCarron has an NHL-ready frame, I agree with you there. That doesn't mean he's ready for a top six NHL role, which is the role that needs to be filled with Parenteau's departure. Very few prospects are ready to jump into a top six NHL role without any time in the minors whatsoever. It's even rarer that late first rounders accomplish that feat.

I am personally hoping you and all the world are wrong and he comes out gun's blazing BUT i know what you mean.

I am personally hoping you and all the world are wrong and he comes out gun's blazing BUT i know what you mean.

I like his game about as much as you. Think he could surprise

Yes but to dismiss him altogether is Wong to. Didn't say he was a shoe merely that his defensive side of the game along with his physical presence gives him a huge advantage over other prospects...

Who knows, McCarron has only been playing vs high school kids to date, that is about to change.

To defend he will need pro-speed and that may be his biggest hurdle ( he is good skater "for his size" is common description).

I did watch numerous of Scherbak's games and his defensive effort, or effort from game to game lacked consistency.

Highlight reel one game, invisible the next (is exactly how WHL broadcast crew described him), but he/Constantine (coach) have stressed developing his 2 way game was a priority.

Hopefully Scherbak trains hard and does great in pre-season and looked good last year at camp.

I really want some of those kids to be ready, but I don't want to rush them into a role they aren't ready for.

With that said, I don't think McCarron needs to be ready for NHL-Top-6 duty to make the team, if he's Top-12 material, he should be there, even if he's on the 4th line. His Memorial Cup experience should bring a nice competitive edge to his play. If he's going to sit on the bench, however, better to play him in the AHL for a while.

I'm more excited for Scherbak, but let's not rush him. He's still got spots, and he has got a lot more development to do, and lots of time with which to do it.