Greg Pateryn signs a two year extension

dlbalr

Good to hear about extension. Do you think it reflects at all on Tinordi's place on depth chart/future with Habs? Or just a nice cheap depth signing.

I wouldnt pigeonhole them as only one or other. Obviously is nice or maybe even ideal to have every pairing set up LH-RH, but as it sits

76-79-74-28-77 leave only 1 spot as a 6th d-man.

And Mgmt likely will play the most NHL calibre guy on 3rd pairing, regardless of shot.

I wouldnt pigeonhole them as only one or other. Obviously is nice or maybe even ideal to have every pairing set up LH-RH, but as it sits

76-79-74-28-77 leave only 1 spot as a 6th d-man.

And Mgmt likely will play the most NHL calibre guy on 3rd pairing, regardless of shot.

Don't forget #26

Sorry, Petry of course.

Hmm? So since Tinordi (nor Pateryn) wouldn't clear waivers and wont have 2 d-men sitting in pressbox come Oct.

Which one is destined to go this summer (or within next week)? Gilbert or Tinordi?

Sorry, Petry of course.

Hmm? So since Tinordi (nor Pateryn) wouldn't clear waivers and wont have 2 d-men sitting in pressbox come Oct.

Which one is destined to go this summer (or within next week)? Gilbert or Tinordi?

If they absolutely need the money then Gillbert Probably be the next one to be cut, but I think MB will stay the course with his Defense for the first half of the year to make sure the young guys are ready.

I'm really happy to see Pateryn signed for the next two years. I like the grit that he brings and hopefully, he'll develop into a solid stay at home d-man who can clear the front of the net!

Next summer he would of been UFA.

Which is why some thought was bit early to extend him, but big vote of confidence and lock him up cheaply I suppose.

Next summer he would of been UFA.

He's only 26 next summer. He could have been eligible for VI UFA status depending on how much he played this coming season (53 games or less would have qualified him). If not though, he'd have been an RFA.

Hmm just assumed with age he would of been UFA, but going NCAA route extends that I guess.

You need to be 27 to be a UFA unless you start in the NHL at 18 (like Galchenyuk) or 19 (like de la Rose and Smith-Pelly). Going the college route doesn't extend the UFA start age.

27/7 years of pro experience is the UFA Group III if I remember correctly.

Yep. Whichever of those two comes first triggers Group III status. In order to get the 7 years met, the player has to play 40 NHL games in his age 18 and/or 19 year old season.

Okay. Don't get me wrong. I agree 200% that Pateryn needs to be extended and locked up beyond Gilbert's inevitable departure.

But, I also find this extention very uncharacteristic for MB. Not like Pateryn is going to explode for 40 pts and force and unreasonable contract. Not sure what the rush was. Perhaps it was just to show confidence in him.

Makes me worry that he's trade bait. :cry_smile:

Okay. Don't get me wrong. I agree 200% that Pateryn needs to be extended and locked up beyond Gilbert's inevitable departure.

But, I also find this extention very uncharacteristic for MB. Not like Pateryn is going to explode for 40 pts and force and unreasonable contract. Not sure what the rush was. Perhaps it was just to show confidence in him.

Makes me worry that he's trade bait. :cry_smile:

You don't extend a guy to help his trade value. If you're planning on trading him, the acquiring team would rather be the one to negotiate the new deal.