Habs acquire Zack Kassian

dlbalr

This is Kassian's point log from last year: http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/k/kassiza01/scoring/2015/

Worth noting - only one PP point and most of his points came away from the Sedins aside from a one week stretch.

Here's the log from 2013-14: http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/k/kassiza01/scoring/2014/

One of his 29 points that season involved a Sedin. And only one came on the PP.

Where am I going with this? He's decent at putting up numbers at even strength and has done so without playing with Vancouver's top players. Even if he doesn't play big minutes, it looks like Kassian should be able to put up respectable production in a 3rd line role if it came down to that. (Optimistically, it makes one wonder if playing him on a top line would really get him going. I'm not sure it would but a case could be made.)

I also found this interesting from an interview with Trevor Linden - it was Benning that called the Habs about Prust and not Bergevin calling about Kassian. Apparently, the Canucks starting talking about this at the draft and Kassian moved into the discussion yesterday; a deal got done from there.

Apparently the reason Kassian got such scarce time with the Sedins and on the PP, despite the Canucks' crying need for a player like him to do so, was that he simply didn't work hard enough (in practice, on the back-check, etc.). The Canucks, like most organizations, took the position that he had to earn his spot, and I guess he never did. Conversely, the consensus here in Van seems to be that when he did get top-line opportunities, he looked pretty good in them.

Guest Stogey24

Apparently the reason Kassian got such scarce time with the Sedins and on the PP, despite the Canucks' crying need for a player like him to do so, was that he simply didn't work hard enough (in practice, on the back-check, etc.). The Canucks, like most organizations, took the position that he had to earn his spot, and I guess he never did. Conversely, the consensus here in Van seems to be that when he did get top-line opportunities, he looked pretty good in them.

I don't know if this has already been said, but apparently Kassian's old man is a die hard Habs fan. Maybe a little motivation?

I see Kassian as a 3rd liner but being that he is in what they call a 'contract' year this is truly a make it or break it type of year for him, usually players have monster years in those type of years. MB will pick up a top 6 winger before the season, probably wants to get Chucky signed first then go from there with what $ they have left, should be around 4.5 million.

Like many of you I like this deal. I'm sad to see Prust go, but I don't think Prusty had much gas left in the tank.

We save 750,000$, we get younger, we get BIGGER and Kassian will be in a contract year, meaning we could expect him to actually try hard. Keeping my fingers crossed that he pans out!

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=11180363

TL:DR

- Canucks messed up Kassian's development but are blaming him

- Kassian could have stepped up

- Kassian was punished for every mistake unlike other players

- Kassian is more of a Pacioretty type player (not skilled like him, don't mix it up) but three coaches wanted him to play like Lucic just because he can fight

- Habs need to recognize the type of player he is or the issues in Vancouver will carry to Montreal

- Kassian is more of a Pacioretty type player (not skilled like him, don't mix it up) but three coaches wanted him to play like Lucic just because he can fight

- Habs need to recognize the type of player he is or the issues in Vancouver will carry to Montreal

This is the big key. Therrien will not show Kassian any higher level of mercy or accommodation than three consecutive Canucks coaches did when it comes to work ethic or commitment. But the Canucks, traumatized by the 2011 Finals, acquired him to be 'their Lucic' and that may indeed have coloured their handling of him. That's a mistake easily avoided.

I watched some of his fights, hasn't had many. He is not a good fighter, he is big enough but that is not where his skill is. He can hit score and skate, fight not so much. Prust would beat him in a heartbeat. But he will stand up for his mates and that is what counts. Hopefully we can get him to drive the net and create havoc, that is what he should be able to do.

Main thing is, can he score more than 5 goals? If so he is an upgrade.

I might write an article on the myths about Kassian for LWOS because dipping into his stats, there's a lot of BS floating around. Especially coming from Craig Button on TSN.

In a 10 game stretch when he was first on Shawn Matthias line and then on the Sedin line, Kassian put up 7 goals and 3 assists, with only one of them on the PP. He barely played the PP all season (Derek Dorsett had two minutes more PP!) and a couple were game winners with Sedin's assisting. The idea he couldn't score with the Sedin's is a total myth and most his goals came from around the net. Henrik was a lesser player without him analytically.

Now, that doesn't negate the claims he's inconsistent (he didn't do much for the first part of the year) or doesn't make boneheaded moves (his time with the Sedin's was cut because of injury and game misconducts) but he's an even strength scorer and proved he could play on the top even-strength line of the Vancouver Canucks. Maybe he doesn't put it all together but so far I'm finding a lot of proof that he could play top six RW for the Habs and excel if he is played to his full potential.

• Upvote 1

I might write an article on the myths about Kassian for LWOS because dipping into his stats, there's a lot of BS floating around. Especially coming from Craig Button on TSN.

In a 10 game stretch when he was first on Shawn Matthias line and then on the Sedin line, Kassian put up 7 goals and 3 assists, with only one of them on the PP. He barely played the PP all season (Derek Dorsett had two minutes more PP!) and a couple were game winners with Sedin's assisting. The idea he couldn't score with the Sedin's is a total myth and most his goals came from around the net. Henrik was a lesser player without him analytically.

Now, that doesn't negate the claims he's inconsistent (he didn't do much for the first part of the year) or doesn't make boneheaded moves (his time with the Sedin's was cut because of injury and game misconducts) but he's an even strength scorer and proved he could play on the top even-strength line of the Vancouver Canucks. Maybe he doesn't put it all together but so far I'm finding a lot of proof that he could play top six RW for the Habs and excel if he is played to his full potential.

I'm pretty confident he has top-6 potential. But don't get too excited - people have been drooling over this guy's potential for years and have yet to be rewarded. The issue isn't talent, it's commitment, work ethic, and being on the party. Then again, he's only 24 (!) and just now moving into the phase of life where a lot of young guys start to get their priorities in order. Very cautious optimism should be the byword here, I think.

I'm pretty confident he has top-6 potential. But don't get too excited - people have been drooling over this guy's potential for years and have yet to be rewarded. The issue isn't talent, it's commitment, work ethic, and being on the party. Then again, he's only 24 (!) and just now moving into the phase of life where a lot of young guys start to get their priorities in order. Very cautious optimism should be the byword here, I think.

Patches and DD will take him under their wing ans lead him to the light. :nuts:

But the Canucks, traumatized by the 2011 Finals, acquired him to be 'their Lucic' and that may indeed have coloured their handling of him. That's a mistake easily avoided.

Good point CC! Let's hope the Habs won't make the same mistake!

What I want to see from Kassian is a net front presence, that actually has the hands to bury, and a big forward that can skate has me excited to see him in a Habs uniform.

We have lots of bottom 6 guys to fill any void left by Prust, and although I like him, I'm glad to see us acquire a guy with Kassian's potential for top 6 minutes, and lessen the cap hit for the 4th line role Prusty played, and lessen the over-usage of that over paid 4th liner from Therrien.

Plus, Kassian has that awesome hockey player smile ;)

What I want to see from Kassian is a net front presence, that actually has the hands to bury, and a big forward that can skate has me excited to see him in a Habs uniform.

We have lots of bottom 6 guys to fill any void left by Prust, and although I like him, I'm glad to see us acquire a guy with Kassian's potential for top 6 minutes, and lessen the cap hit for the 4th line role Prusty played, and lessen the over-usage of that over paid 4th liner from Therrien.

Plus, Kassian has that awesome hockey player smile ;)

I hope we see that smile many times, like after every goal/assist he gets.

So I thought someone might be entertained by this.

Jim Benning on March 1, 2015 (trade deadline)

"We had some calls on Zack, but the last two weeks, he's really... you know... made a big push to become the player that we think he can become, so, you know, we listened to the other GM's, and what their offers were, and stuff, but at the end of the day, it's hard to find guys with his size and skillset, and he's had an up-and-down year, but, the last two weeks he's really taken the steps in the right direction... so we weren't just going to move Zack Kassian to give him away."

Kassian played five games after. Scored a goal, had an ugly -3 game and then the 24 PIM game misconduct game against the Maple Leafs. Afterwards he dealt with back injury problems and didn't play another game in the season.

Jim Benning on July 1, 2015 (after trading Kassian)

“We’ve given him every opportunity to be successful,” Benning said. “He has been through three different coaches now. At some point, the player has to be responsible for taking the next step.

“He’s a young player who has all the physical tools, but he needs to figure it out.”

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Iain+MacIntyre+Canucks+patience+favourite+Zack+Kassian/11180724/story.html#ixzz3fJNS2fLZ

“We had to try to push him to be a physical player,” Benning, who tried to trade Kassian last season but found no one interested, said of the 13th player chosen in the 2009 draft.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Iain+MacIntyre+Canucks+patience+favourite+Zack+Kassian/11180724/story.html#ixzz3fJNaFtVr

In March, they weren't just going to give him away. In July, they did.

• Upvote 1

So I thought someone might be entertained by this.

Jim Benning on March 1, 2015 (trade deadline)

Kassian played five games after. Scored a goal, had an ugly -3 game and then the 24 PIM game misconduct game against the Maple Leafs. Afterwards he dealt with back injury problems and didn't play another game in the season.

Jim Benning on July 1, 2015 (after trading Kassian)

In March, they weren't just going to give him away. In July, they did.

Yes, well...this sort of thing tends to reinforce my increasing suspicion that Benning and Linden don't really know what they are doing.

• Upvote 1

Yes, well...this sort of thing tends to reinforce my increasing suspicion that Benning and Linden don't really know what they are doing.

All it takes is knowing Benning called Bergevin to make a deal for Brandon Prust. In no world did that make sense in my brain. Then again, neither did Montreal getting a fifth round pick out of the deal either.

All it takes is knowing Benning called Bergevin to make a deal for Brandon Prust. In no world did that make sense in my brain. Then again, neither did Montreal getting a fifth round pick out of the deal either.

It only makes sense because that's what Bergevin does.

• 2 weeks later...