Habs re-sign Tinordi to One Year Two-Way Contract

Habsfan84

Well 'dlbalr' was right when he posted in the Bournival signing when talking about Tinordi to not "be surprised to hear of him signing in the near future". Two days is pretty near future. Very few details at this point but is for 1 year and is a two way contact. He will need to go through waivers to get to the AHL and would most certainly be claimed if the Habs tried it.

Very few details at this point but is for 1 year and is a two way contact. He will need to go through waivers to get to the AHL and would most certainly be claimed if the Habs tried it.

The details will be interesting. Someone has to go if he is going to stay. Or he has to go. We do not have the room far as I can tell.

Surely Tinordi slots in as an Emelin replacement. Not in terms of sheer minutes, but in terms of bringing a physical edge and being a #5 d-man (or thereabouts). I'm not saying guarantee him a slot and move Emelin; what I'm saying is that, if Tiny shows he can play, the next logical step is to ship out #74.

Looking at the contracts and cap I figure we trade Gilbert, try to find a partner for Emelin and if we don't by next summer we buy him out. Bergevin just my bads it and deals with a $1.m hit for a few years.

No Emelin trade? Do you think it's too hard to find a trade partner or think MB won't try to move him before Gilbert?

I think Tinordi can come close to replacing Emelin and at like 1/5 the cost

No Emelin trade? Do you think it's too hard to find a trade partner or think MB won't try to move him before Gilbert?

I think Tinordi can come close to replacing Emelin and at like 1/5 the cost

I think he fits perfect on New Jersey but he might not waive to them and keep them on his limited NTC when it turns into that next year.

I guess I'd prefer to be low on expectation. Buying him out would hurt but not be catastrophic.

I think he fits perfect on New Jersey but he might not waive to them and keep them on his limited NTC when it turns into that next year.

I guess I'd prefer to be low on expectation. Buying him out would hurt but not be catastrophic.

At this point I see absolutely no point to buying him out, nor do I think that MB has that thought in his mind. He is a serviceable 4/5 defenceman who had a bad injury and has not made his way back yet. I think he gets a little leeway.

Guest Stogey24

Glad the kid signed. Really hope he does well. Been rooting for the guy since his days in London.

I think we'll see a serious competitor this year.

Glad to see Tinordi sign..I hope he earns his minutes and takes full advantage. One thing I don't want to see is JT trying to play with a chip on his shoulder and end up getting into one too many fights. Kids got a long future ahead of him if he does it right.

Surely Tinordi slots in as an Emelin replacement. Not in terms of sheer minutes, but in terms of bringing a physical edge and being a #5 d-man (or thereabouts). I'm not saying guarantee him a slot and move Emelin; what I'm saying is that, if Tiny shows he can play, the next logical step is to ship out #74.

I completely agree! If by mid season Tinordi has shown some improvement, I say trade Emelin for a draft pick! We gotta make some room for Tinordi and Pateryn.

Glad the kid signed. Really hope he does well. Been rooting for the guy since his days in London.

I think we'll see a serious competitor this year.

I'm also very happy that he signed. I just wish it was a 2 year deal...but hey, the important thing is that he's signed. Let's hope he improves enough next year that he'll force Bergevin to trade someone else on the blue line. (either Emelin or Gilbert)

It sounds like he just took his qualifying offer, meaning his cap hit will be a touch over $850,000.

That's interesting, well hopefully he puts a lot of pressure on the 12 (ok I exaggerate) that we have. And that he makes the team.

Just cant see all those d being on team come drop of puck in Oct.

Who will draw the short straw?

Could you see Tinordi morphed into a guy like Buff or Burns? I don't want to get ahead of myself, but as it stands today, looks like some defensemen will get wing duty.

Could you see Tinordi morphed into a guy like Buff or Burns? I don't want to get ahead of myself, but as it stands today, looks like some defensemen will get wing duty.

Those two have offensive skills that make them a threat as a forward though. Tinordi has no offensive skill at all so if they were to try that, I don't think it would work well at all (unless they'd be content with him being a fourth line 6-8 minute a night grinder).

I think need to see if he can even handle 12-15 minutes of every opponent trying to match up top line against him and dumping puck into his corner every chance they get and forcing turnovers, first.

But like dlbalr says, his offense will likely be along lines of Rick Green/Josh Gorges-type numbers.

Tinordi was drafted to patrol the blue line and clear the crease. Wouldn't even want to see him play wing

Yeah I agree, that would be a mistake imho. Better to take one of the 6 ftrs and convert them to a winger, don't know who though.

I predict Habs top 4 D to start the season will be:

Subban

Petry

Markov

Beaulieu

The next two spots will be a battle between 3 guys:

Emelin

Pateryn

Tinordi

Gilbert is the odd man out and will be traded before the season starts. I predict either Phoenix or Nashville for a 4th round pick.

Gilbert isn't the odd man out. You and a lot of others may think he is, but MT and MB don't. He will get plenty of ice time on the bottom pair, which is where he will be pretty effective.

He wasn't nearly as bad as most people say he was.