Who plays where? Who plays at all?

Don't think 14-51 as top two centres is the issue as much as 67 is the only all-star calibre forward on team.

And teams with only 1 forward like that don't often win cups do they?

If Gallagher and Galchenyuk both get 30 goals and continue contributing offensively till June, I think could win a cup with 14-51 as top two centres.

Habs simply need more offense from forward group as a whole.

Desharnais averages 51pts/yr and Plekanec 54 and to get a significant upgrade on that production would be darn costly and Bergevin is highly unlikely to swing that big a deal anytime soon.

So realistically; which 60+point centre would you be looking to trade for to replace Desharnais or Plekanec? :blush:

Guest Stogey24

I don't necessarily think we NEED to trade for one. I think that Galchenyuk needs to fill the role.

Desharnais was utterly useless in the playoffs, so I don't really see how you can say we're fine with running Desharnais as a top centre. He couldn't stay on his feet

I don't necessarily think we NEED to trade for one. I think that Galchenyuk needs to fill the role.

Desharnais was utterly useless in the playoffs, so I don't really see how you can say we're fine with running Desharnais as a top centre. He couldn't stay on his feet

I don't think trading DD is an option. Trade value not there and I agree with Don, who are you going to get? I know that Galchenyuk can do the job and now is is time to prove it. Stop with the trying to beat 4 guys and making beauty passes to guys who got no shot. Play how you know you can. He will be fine and I still see him as a force to be reakoned with, he has improved a lot in 3 years. Now he wants big contract so he should be very motivated to excell. Semin will get him going, :nuts:

Guest Stogey24

The fact that Galchenyuk is only 21 gets over looked, but now is definitely the time for him to play centre

Hopefully his offseason training consisted of plenty of faceoffs

Guest Stogey24

What do you mean; 'he is only 21... is definitely time to play centre'?

You mean he is too young to play wing? :blush:

I'm just saying he's still very young, but now seems as good of a time as ever to position him at centre

I agree with every word... especially the part of Desharnais being a major hole in the lineup in the playoffs, might as well find another spot to make him useful, and give Chucky the go right from camp at #2 center behind Pleks, enough is enough with DD in the top 6.

I think is safe bet Galchenyuk will get an opportunity playing centre this year; maybe he comes into camp bit quicker, stronger, more confident and steals a centre spot for opening night.

But, if he is playing wing in Oct. I just don't see it as a big negative.

I think is safe bet Galchenyuk will get an opportunity playing centre this year; maybe he comes into camp bit quicker, stronger, more confident and steals a centre spot for opening night.

I think how it has all been handled has caused the emotions of hockey fans to be played with. You would think Galchenyuk would have been playing third line centre in his second season to get warmed up to the position (similar to Seguin in Boston) but instead he moved into the top six on the wing. Then the next year it felt like he could be tried at centre to start the season but instead it took until January for Therrien to try him there. It was also a 15 game stint where he was pulled from the position on his worst game, instead of getting a chance to redeem it.

There's talk that Galchenyuk fired his agent because he told him to be more patient about his career process and Alex wasn't ready to be patient. Usually that leads to players wanting to leave but the contract extension gives me the feeling he wants to prove himself. If Alex wants to break out down the middle he should be given every opportunity to do so from exhibition to the season in a month or so.

I've been with you when it comes to being more patient with Galchenyuk, though the team could also use a serious shake up in the top six that doesn't involve adding a new player but shuffling the current players around.

Yes, this seems like a reasonable attitude. We do need to upgrade on DD and Galy is the most realistic hope for that. But we also have to recognize that Galchenyuk has shown some worrisome tendencies - like that chronic insistence on making the low-percentage one-on-one play, even after three years of having it reliably fail - and that he may never become the stud many are hoping. Also, just throwing him to the wolves at C may not be the best idea if he has his struggles there. Quite apart from his own apparently fragile psyche, the team still has to win hockey games, especially early in the year when Patches is out, and if DD at C gives us a better chance to do that on any given night (or any given shift) then that is the right thing to do.

All I really ask is the following: first, that fans not make endless excuses for Galy performance by blaming dat olll' debbil Therrien for everything that doesn't work out perfectly. Second, Galy must get a good, solid look at C this season. If he doesn't, it IS fair to ask whether something is wrong with Therrien's brain.

Seems reasonable. Now where is that thread on firing Le Genius? :) I'm kidding,......for now.

Yep, that thread lies fallow until

1. Galy plays a shift at W

2. MT ices a configuration of lines some posters disagree with

3. MT sits Tinordi but dresses Gilbert

4. MT dresses Tinordi but does not use him in all situations and inexplicably fails to play him for 47 minutes per night

5. Desharnais gets PP time

6. Eller looks useless for an extended stretch (because that's ALWAYS MT's fault)

7. The team has a bad first period and has to come back to win

8. The team starts well but blows a lead

9. Weise plays 0.02 seconds on the top lines or PP unit

10. Any rookie or young player sits or gets sent down

I THINK that about covers it...but I've probably missed a dozen or so other scenarios

Yep, that thread lies fallow until

1. Galy plays a shift at W

2. MT ices a configuration of lines some posters disagree with

3. MT sits Tinordi but dresses Gilbert

4. MT dresses Tinordi but does not use him in all situations and inexplicably fails to play him for 47 minutes per night

5. Desharnais gets PP time

6. Eller looks useless for an extended stretch (because that's ALWAYS MT's fault)

7. The team has a bad first period and has to come back to win

8. The team starts well but blows a lead

9. Weise plays 0.02 seconds on the top lines or PP unit

10. Any rookie or young player sits or gets sent down

I THINK that about covers it...but I've probably missed a dozen or so other scenarios

Judging from previous years probably a combo of all of the above.

Guest Stogey24

I'm definitely not on the "Fire MT" bandwagon, but I'm telling you, if #3 happens too often without any obvious reason, I will get on it pretty quick.

I'm right with ya on that one.

Guest Stogey24

Yes, a veteran defenceman played his off wing.

Unless Tinordi worked all summer to play RD, it's not likely at all.

No, your right. He's not going to play his off side. Emelin is the guy Tinordi needs to out play.

I really thought Emelin would be out of the picture by now. I just saw picture of him with his shirt off, the dude is fat

I'm definitely not on the "Fire MT" bandwagon, but I'm telling you, if #3 happens too often without any obvious reason, I will get on it pretty quick.

Is Game 1 too soon for people to jump on for that reason? It'll happen then... As noted, they don't play the same side. Pateryn is battling Gilbert, Tinordi battling Emelin and Beaulieu.

I am skeptical that Tin-Man will 'outplay' Emelin. The best we can hope for, IMHO, is that the contest is close enough that MB decides to trade Emelin. Like most coaches, MB will likely lean on the proven veteran warrior in the absence of a clear-cut reason to go with the kid.

Where does Hudon fit into all of this?

Does he have a shot out of camp, next year or do people think he doesn't actually have NHL upside?

If de la Rose doesn't make the team, Hudon could very well be the one to get that spot. If de la Rose does make the team, there probably isn't room. Personally, I'd like to see him back in St. John's to start. He has NHL upside although I'm not as high on him as some are; I see him as a two-way third liner, not a top six guy like some are hoping for.

If de la Rose doesn't make the team, Hudon could very well be the one to get that spot. If de la Rose does make the team, there probably isn't room. Personally, I'd like to see him back in St. John's to start. He has NHL upside although I'm not as high on him as some are; I see him as a two-way third liner, not a top six guy like some are hoping for.

And it seems we do not have a shortage of 2 way 3rd and 4th liners. We do have a shortage of top 6 who can score goals.