Pre-season games on TV

I believe RDS has the rights to all the preseason games so they will have those games - regionally only of course.

The intrasquad game is another story. No one's announced yet whether or not that one will be televised or not. If someone were to televise it, there wouldn't be any regional restrictions.

I live in Timmins, ON...so I had to pay an extra $60 to my cable provider (Eastlink) in order to get all of the RDS games last season. Prior to 2014-15...we got all of the games on RDS on regular digital cable. TVA Sports sucks...I wish RDS still had exclusive rights. I would rather listen to 98.5 FM radio than watch games on TVA Sports.

I live in Timmins, ON...so I had to pay an extra $60 to my cable provider (Eastlink) in order to get all of the RDS games last season. Prior to 2014-15...we got all of the games on RDS on regular digital cable. TVA Sports sucks...I wish RDS still had exclusive rights. I would rather listen to 98.5 FM radio than watch games on TVA Sports.

Consider yourself lucky that your provider picked up the $60 RDS package. Most didn't and as a result, many were forced to pay over $200 for the full Centre Ice package. The new TV deal may be great for the NHL (since they got a very good price from Sportsnet/TVA) but it certainly wasn't a good one for out-of-market Montreal fans.

I paid $5 a month for RDS, but I think I only had to watch a couple games on it because the rest were shown on Sportsnet, CBC or 360. I won't get RDS this year if it's the same

• Upvote 1

I used to work for the local cable TV station here...I still have a few friends working for the cable company...I like to think that my lobbying...as well as the large number of Canadiens fans in northern Ontario...convinced the cable company to provide the $60 RDS package for Habs and Sens games. I mean...this market has been accustomed to having access to all Habs regular season and playoff games since the early 1980's.

Guest Stogey24

I have been to many AHL games i was a season ticket holder for 13 years The pre season is like an AHL game I dont like watching them on television boring snoozefest

I disagree. Lots of young guys working their nuts off in camp and trying to make name for themselves in some pre season games.

It's also nice to watch some guys play who could be with the Habs in the near future. McCarron was a beast against Boston last year, can't say that was boring to watch

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me definitively if the intrasquad game and all pre-season games will be televised?

I've merged the second topic about this that you started with your other thread. The answer about RDS remains the same as when you asked five weeks ago, they have the rights and will have the games. There remains no word about the intrasquad game. I don't think that one was televised last year.

A few preseason games will be available in English by the looks of things:

Sept. 22 vs Toronto: TSN 4, Ontario region

Sept. 26 vs Toronto: Sportsnet, national*

Oct. 3 vs Ottawa: TSN 5, Canadiens viewing region

*- not listed with the TV schedule on team sites but was noted in Toronto's press release for their broadcast schedule.

This is not about preseason games per se - so feel free to cast me out into the nether regions of the universe. However, I notice that Rogers will be offering something called the 'NHL Out of Market French Package' for the not-outrageous price of $60 per season. Does anyone know anything about this? Will it enable those of us outside the Habs' viewing area to watch more than the 40 games, or whatever it is, that will be broadcast on the English feed? In other words, will this allow me to watch a lot more Habs' games on TV this year?

Guest Stogey24

In BC, now I just purchase the nhl centreice package and get almost all Hab games in English and at 'somewhat' reasonable price.

If you have Rogers, there is a promotion on with the super sports pack(centre ice, mlb, basketball). You get the first 3 months free. It's $35 a month after that. So your basically getting centre ice plus, for around $100.00 instead of $200.00

In BC, now I just purchase the nhl centreice package and get almost all Hab games in English and at 'somewhat' reasonable price.

Sure, but I'd rather have the games in French and pay less. That's why I'm asking about the French package.

This is not about preseason games per se - so feel free to cast me out into the nether regions of the universe. However, I notice that Rogers will be offering something called the 'NHL Out of Market French Package' for the not-outrageous price of $60 per season. Does anyone know anything about this? Will it enable those of us outside the Habs' viewing area to watch more than the 40 games, or whatever it is, that will be broadcast on the English feed? In other words, will this allow me to watch a lot more Habs' games on TV this year?

This is the second year that Rogers has done this. Most other TV providers didn't offer it last year. This is how it works as far as I know - I don't have Rogers so I can't speak with certainty on this:

For the $60, you get the two French Centre Ice channels that will show the RDS regional games, the ones for Montreal and Ottawa. However, you must also subscribe to the TVA Sports channels to be eligible for that package. I'm not sure what those channels cost on Rogers but it's $5 a month on my carrier. That said, it's still cheaper than Centre Ice.

You would get all 82 games that way and I believe you'd have the option of French or English for a handful of games as well, the non-Saturday national games in English are still shown on RDS and thus would be on the French Centre Ice channel.

This is the second year that Rogers has done this. Most other TV providers didn't offer it last year. This is how it works as far as I know - I don't have Rogers so I can't speak with certainty on this:

For the $60, you get the two French Centre Ice channels that will show the RDS regional games, the ones for Montreal and Ottawa. However, you must also subscribe to the TVA Sports channels to be eligible for that package. I'm not sure what those channels cost on Rogers but it's $5 a month on my carrier. That said, it's still cheaper than Centre Ice.

You would get all 82 games that way and I believe you'd have the option of French or English for a handful of games as well, the non-Saturday national games in English are still shown on RDS and thus would be on the French Centre Ice channel.

Outstanding. You da man, Brian, as always. Thanks.

I don't mind one bit watching games in French as many PBP guys can be rather annoying to listen to.

And if I could get TVA/RDS and all games as used to for $5/month I would opt for that, but couldn't last year, so down to the one option out West (as far as I know).

I don't mind one bit watching games in French as many PBP guys can be rather annoying to listen to.

And if I could get TVA/RDS and all games as used to for $5/month I would opt for that, but couldn't last year, so down to the one option out West (as far as I know).

If you look at the Rogers Game Centre site, they have a link to an 'Out of Market French package' that will apply west of Bellville Ont., and will become available on Oct. 1 for $60. What I'm hoping is that this, plus the TVA subscription ($5), will make it possible to watch most or all Habs games in French for $65 - which is lots cheaper than the 'Centre Ice' package as a whole. https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/en/

Is the Rogers game center French package available for streaming only, or are you looking at what Rogers cable is offering. Last year in Alberta, game center only offered the regular full package, and from what I understand Rogers cable offered the French package. In Alberta, Rogers cable is not a option.

If you look at the Rogers Game Centre site, they have a link to an 'Out of Market French package' that will apply west of Bellville Ont., and will become available on Oct. 1 for $60. What I'm hoping is that this, plus the TVA subscription ($5), will make it possible to watch most or all Habs games in French for $65 - which is lots cheaper than the 'Centre Ice' package as a whole. https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/en/