Subban makes a $10 M donation to the Montreal Children's Hospital

dlbalr

The official announcement will come shortly but P.K. Subban has committed to donate $10 million over the next seven years to the Montreal Children's Hospital. It's believed to be the largest donation ever by a Canadian athlete.

As a token of their appreciation, the atrium at the hospital has been renamed in Subban's honour:

CPBPJKwWEAQAqq6.jpg

Absolutely huge donation. We're talking close to 10% of his salary. Subban's always going to be remembered as a hockey player but I'm beginning to think Subban is going to go down as one of the most famous athletes ever. When he retires from the NHL he's going to be out there almost more than he is now. Whether it be at charity events, hosting a sports network - He'll be at the red carpet for f sake. Great role model for everyone whether its related to hockey or not, but no doubt someone a lot of upcoming hockey players are going to look up to, and by virtue of skin colour, no doubt a lot of black players complete hero. From day 1 when he player with Canada's junior team I could not WAIT for him to join the team. The hype was huge. He took the hype flushed it down the toilet, laughed and became even more than I dared to hope for. Love the guy.

• Upvote 1

He's giving am awesome speech right now.

Agreed. Some quotes:

(in french)

"Mme Beliveau I want to make your husband proud,"
"People don't understand the experiences people have. That's why I do what I do."
"Every time you walk into this hospital, you'll know what I stand for."

Max is barely scraping by on his low salary, has wife and kid to feed and dosent make the big bucks Pernell does! :nuts:

Is awesome to see Subban do this, that is a significant amount of cash and great example for others earning huge salaries to follow.

He is rapidly vaulting to the top of the list of my all-time favourite Habs. But as a friend of mine posted on Facebook:

P.K. Subban donates to a children's hospital...Patrick Kane, well, you know. But which one gets ragged on for not being good for the sport?

This guy is absolute gold. I am very very proud he is on our team.

Me too! Class act all the way, and always has been... guy is simply extraordinary.

Now I wanna see him captain! lol, what a bandwagoner eh? :)

Me too! Class act all the way, and always has been... guy is simply extraordinary.

Now I wanna see him captain! lol, what a bandwagoner eh? :)

Same here. I was originally leaning toward Pacioretty, but now I want to see PK. Complete bandwagoner.

Was interesting to hear Subban trying to speak in French and nice to hear him speaking so highly of Beliveau. He is saying and doing all the right things for sure.

Captain Subby! :hyper:

Absolutely huge donation. We're talking close to 10% of his salary.

7x $9 million = $63 Million.

$10 million as a percentage of $63 million is actually 16%.

Toronthab, call your pope and get him to beatify this guy early, while still alive (after all, playing for the Habs is pretty much being in heaven, anyway). Forget St. Patrick. We're going to have St. Pernell.

(Income tax makes his actual take-home salary more like $30 million, but the tax credits from charitable donations pretty much equal the income tax he'd have paid on that donation anyway, so the percentage stays the same.

• Upvote 1

7x $9 million = $63 Million.

$10 million as a percentage of $63 million is actually 16%.

Toronthab, call your pope and get him to beatify this guy early, while still alive (after all, playing for the Habs is pretty much being in heaven, anyway). Forget St. Patrick. We're going to have St. Pernell.

(Income tax makes his actual take-home salary more like $30 million, but the tax credits from charitable donations pretty much equal the income tax he'd have paid on that donation anyway, so the percentage stays the same.

Ha! .. good one Jeff. and I have to agree about playing for the Habs and heaven. And I did think of the parable of the "widow's mite" as I read the story, but good is good and good on PK. My brother in law was a doctor at the Children's and we used to try to raise funds at a golf tournament.. never got near the 10 million, .. but my brother in law who played centre once said that one of the most beautiful moments in life is when you're standing at the open door of the hockey rink, looking out on the shiny , pure surface of a freshly flooded rink and about to take your first step on to the ice... lovely guy.. a great gift for living.

PS. ..he always wanted to be a centre for the Montreal Canadians.

Maybe we can get Francis drop the puck against the Laffs! And shoot PK out of a canon (canonize.. ya.. I know..) between periods... hey..its just an idea.. :blush:

Ha! .. good one Jeff. and I have to agree about playing for the Habs and heaven. And I did think of the parable of the "widow's mite" as I read the story, but good is good and good on PK. My brother in law was a doctor at the Children's and we used to try to raise funds at a golf tournament.. never got near the 10 million, .. but my brother in law who played centre once said that one of the most beautiful moments in life is when you're standing at the open door of the hockey rink, looking out on the shiny , pure surface of a freshly flooded rink and about to take your first step on to the ice... lovely guy.. a great gift for living.

PS. ..he always wanted to be a centre for the Montreal Canadians.

Maybe we can get Francis drop the puck against the Laffs! And shoot PK out of a canon (canonize.. ya.. I know..) between periods... hey..its just an idea.. :blush:

:rofl: