General Training Camp Thread

dlbalr

You have to think at this point that MB is shopping hard for a Tinordi deal somewhere. Losing him for nothing via waivers wouldn't be ideal, and I just don't see him cracking the lineup. Unless perhaps they take a flyer on him and are looking to move an Emelin or something like that.

9 more cuts today:

F - McCarron, Carr, Thomas, Holloway, Dumont, Gregoire

D - Dietz, Ellis, Hanley

Thomas, Holloway, Dumont, and Ellis are all on waivers.

I have to admit, I'm surprised Andrighetto wasn't cut but Carr was. I thought Carr was much better than Andrighetto in the preseason games.

31 players are left in camp. (Players in italics are injured.)

G: Price, Tokarski, Condon

D: Barberio, Beaulieu, Emelin, Gilbert, Juulsen, Markov, Pateryn, Petry, Subban, Tinordi

F: Andrighetto, Bournival, de la Rose, Desharnais, Eller, Fleischmann, Flynn, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Hudon, Kassian, Mitchell, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Scherbak, Semin, Smith-Pelly, Weise

Not that any of these are elite prospects, but I often wonder about the extent of 'gentlemens' agreements' among GMs on this sort of stuff.l You know, 'don't steal my guys off waivers, I won't steal yours,' etc..

Not that any of these are elite prospects, but I often wonder about the extent of 'gentlemens' agreements' among GMs on this sort of stuff.l You know, 'don't steal my guys off waivers, I won't steal yours,' etc..

The last time the Habs entered a gentleman's agreement among GMs not to steal guys on waivers, we lost Francois Beauchemin.

That stuff kind of happens with offer sheets but not so much waivers. Everyone knows the risks involved. Remember there's also a waiver wire so multiple teams could make offers but only one gets the player. That pushes GMs to make trade offers instead of trying waivers.

I don't think you'd see any sort of agreement with waivers. This year in particular, it's the roster crunch that should have fewer than usual getting plucked off waivers. Why claim a guy like Thomas when there are more proven veterans out there who will settle for a similar salary and probably provide more?

Up front, the only players I can really see getting plucked are role players (ie, if someone really, really wants a goon/high energy guy) or a team that wants to take a bit of a home run swing on someone they think has top six/nine potential. (Max Friberg's on waivers today and he may fall into that category.)

On the blueline is where we'll see more action in terms of incremental gain players. Is this guy better than my current #7? If yes, you'll see a bit of musical chairs around this time next week. But, as MoLG notes, other GM's will be smart and try to make a trade to that team beforehand. The returns are going to be awfully poor though, it'll be a case of get something rather than nothing even if the something is very little.

There's no real need for gentleman's agreements with waivers other something along the lines of 'call me before you waive so-and-so'.

With Scherbak gone, they're down to 30 in camp. They need to get down to 24 (23 + Bournival who will start on IR). It would seem that the likely remaining cuts are:

- Juulsen (will play one game and then be sent back to junior)

- Andrighetto

- Hudon

Then it gets interesting as you get into one or the other scenarios:

- Tokarski or Condon

- Barberio or Tinordi

- de la Rose or Fleischmann (if he doesn't sign)

Going that route would leave eight defencemen on the roster so if they want seven, replace the last forward cut with another d-man going. We weren't expecting many position battles in camp but it looks like a few may go down to the wire.

De la Rose will go down and Fleischmann will be signed.

That seems to be the consensus. My hunch is that Bergevin would like to move a signed contract out (not necessarily a Hab, just someone on the 50) before committing to Fleischmann but that's just a guess.

Barberio is supposed to be weak defensively eh? He isn't MAB bad is he?

I would think Bergevin has had some plan to deal with Tinordi for awhile now and from sounds of it his play is bout same as last year and unlikely to of changed Bergevin's mind from a likely conclusion to this 'issue.

Lose him for nothing, trade for dick-all, sit him in press-box and hope some team has d-injuries early on?

Couldn't the question be De la Rose vs. Smith-Pelly? DSP has been placed on a lot of fifth lines and playing LW would be his off wing.

Are the Habs really prepared to waive Smith-Pelly to keep de la Rose in a 12th/13th forward role? That seems like a waste. Neither have had strong camps so it's just as well to send DLR down to keep both players.

Barberio is supposed to be weak defensively eh? He isn't MAB bad is he?

I would think Bergevin has had some plan to deal with Tinordi for awhile now and from sounds of it his play is bout same as last year and unlikely to of changed Bergevin's mind from a likely conclusion to this 'issue.

Lose him for nothing, trade for dick-all, sit him in press-box and hope some team has d-injuries early on?

I didn't see that much weakness. Barberio knew how to get the puck out of our zone without an icing when pressured. Tinordi has failed on that constantly. I feel safer to win with Barberio playing 10 minutes than Tinordi.

I didn't see that much weakness. Barberio knew how to get the puck out of our zone without an icing when pressured. Tinordi has failed on that constantly. I feel safer to win with Barberio playing 10 minutes than Tinordi.

To be fair, almost anyone can clear the puck better than Tinordi.

We've seen Barberio's strengths so far, good skater, good passer, decent offensive instincts. The offensive end has never been a problem for him. It's the defensive end where he struggles. Right now against weaker competition, that doesn't stand out as much. Once they get into the regular season, that's likely to change.

I can understand why you'd feel safer with Barberio than Tinordi as the latter provides a lot of nerve wracking moments. I'd rather neither were in the lineup though. Some want to put Barberio ahead of Emelin but I'd be more comfortable with Emelin than either of those two.

• Upvote 1