General Training Camp Thread

dlbalr

Keep in mind that this is only a good training camp for Barberio.

He hasn't been able to impress TB enough in about 100 games in the NHL to make his way in their top 6-7 either.

Keep that in mind... Don't put him on a pedestal too soon...

I think he could play third pairing D and would be a good #7. A pretty low pedestal.

I think Pateryn is an overall better defenceman, so if they were fighting over the same spot I'd push for Pateryn.

Barberio and Tampa was an odd situation. A lot of Tampa fans found him better than others like Sustr (who Tampa fans hate but Cooper/Yzerman love, he's kind of their Tinordi) but he didn't get the same shots and didn't bring the offence he showed in the AHL to the NHL. Cooper is saying Tampa will carry seven D, possibly eight (Hedman, Garrison, Stralman, Carle, Coburn, Ohlund, Sustr, Nesterov or Koekkek) so basically, Barberio was pushed out. A big part of that push out is all of the money wrapped up in their top six, with two of those guys being poor excuses for third pairing D last year. They would have had to move a lot of well liked vets to make room. Tampa fans are not happy with their D beyond their top four.

TL:DR Barberio is a good 6/7/8 and was let go by Tampa because they didn't have room to re-sign another 6/7/8

It's usually (not always) silly to get all hyped up about any prospect in training camp.

What does matter is when one young guy comes in and significantly outperforms his rival(s) for a spot. That doesn't make him an NHLer necessarily, but it does mean that he should be ahead of those rivals on the depth chart.

No surprise here, Juulsen was sent back to junior after the game.

As for Tinordi, Elliotte Friedman had the following note in his 30 Thoughts column yesterday:

Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin doesn’t show his cards, so things can be tough to pin down, but I get the sense a few teams have asked about his plans for Jarred Tinordi. The best intel I can find is that Bergevin would rather swim in Cheez Whiz than put him on waivers. That leaves either Tinordi making the team, or they do something.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-why-the-sudden-delay-in-expansion-talk/

Weird comment from Friedman.

I would rather swim in Cheez Wizz than do A FREAKING LOT of other things as well... In fact, I'd do this anyday of the week for free.

• Upvote 1

Again, I think Bergevin must of had options for Tinordi for awhile now and his play likely hasn't been a surprise worse or better than expected.

What option's A, B or C might be will shall findout within a week or so.

My guess is he is in the pressbox to start season.

Again, I think Bergevin must of had options for Tinordi for awhile now and his play likely hasn't been a surprise worse or better than expected.

What option's A, B or C might be will shall findout within a week or so.

My guess is he is in the pressbox to start season.

If they still believe in him as a prospect, the press box is the likely outcome for him to start the year. If they're not as enthused about him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone by next week.

Semin gets a therapy day today. Kassian moves into his spot on the 2nd line while the '5th line' consists of de la Rose, Hudon, and Andrighetto. That could be a sign that they're leaning towards cutting de la Rose which, in turn, would appear to be a sign that they want to keep Fleischmann around.

I 100% agree and is nice to see Habs being deep enough to (most likely) send the likes of Hudon & de la Rose to AHL.

Just hope de la Rose has a 'good' attitude about demotion and uses extra icetime to work on his offensive game. Seems some guys who got sent down to Hamilton in past couple years have struggled.

Why haven't Hudon, Andrighetto, Barberio not already been sent down if not playing in last game? Because wouldn't make it for tomorrow's AHL game anyways maybe, so no hurry?

What is up with Bournival, is he long term injured after several concussions?

Why haven't Hudon, Andrighetto, Barberio not already been sent down if not playing in last game? Because wouldn't make it for tomorrow's AHL game anyways maybe, so no hurry?

What is up with Bournival, is he long term injured after several concussions?

Barberio needs to go through waivers so they may wait until the last day when there will be a boatload of others on waivers to try to sneak him through. As for Hudon/Andrighetto, my guess would be that they're first in line for recalls so the more time spent with the NHL team while they can, the better.

Bournival failed his training camp medical with post-concussion symptoms. He has been shut down indefinitely and will begin the season on Montreal's IR.

i'd rather see them put Gilbert through waivers if they plan to keep Tinordi around. I'm more comfortable with keeping Beaulieu and Pateryn in the top 6 ahead of Gilbert at this point, and I would certainly not rather have 2.75 mill sitting in the press box over the peanuts Barberio or Tinordi make.

i'm comfortable with

Subban - Markov

Petry - Beaulieu

Pateryn - Emelin

with Barberio and Tinordi waiting in the wings incase of injury or a let down from the youngsters.

Team would be weaker without Gilbert for depth. Tinordi nor Barberio are as good, but wouldn't break my heart if he was traded, alone or as part of a package.

i'd rather see them put Gilbert through waivers if they plan to keep Tinordi around. I'm more comfortable with keeping Beaulieu and Pateryn in the top 6 ahead of Gilbert at this point, and I would certainly not rather have 2.75 mill sitting in the press box over the peanuts Barberio or Tinordi make.

i'm comfortable with

Subban - Markov

Petry - Beaulieu

Pateryn - Emelin

with Barberio and Tinordi waiting in the wings incase of injury or a let down from the youngsters.

I must be the only one that doesn't think Barberio had a great preseason. He looked decent against a bunch of minor leaguers. Yippee? He should look that way against other teams' B squads. But minor leaguers aren't NHL'ers and Barberio's reputation is that he's soft and prone to mistakes with the puck. If it were up to me I'm not waiving a more established and, quite frankly, better NHL'er to keep him around. In five seasons, Barberio has risen to the level of fringe #6 defenceman and when the games matter, he's in the press box. That's Gilbert's floor; he can't be worse than that while Barberio hasn't shown he can really be much better despite getting into quite a few games for an end-of-roster player the last two years.

Besides, in this scenario (and assuming Gilbert gets claimed), if it's a right shooting D that gets hurt, Darren Dietz becomes an NHL regular because neither Tinordi nor Barberio can play the right side. That's not a good thing. And if Gilbert were to clear waivers, the cap savings would be largely negligible and they're comfortably under to begin with. (If the Habs were right up against the cap and needed to clear a few hundred thousand, this would become more of a palatable option.)

Depth is a good thing to have. One player is a depth defenceman - that's Barberio. One is a regular NHL'er. That's Gilbert. You don't waive the latter to keep the former. You waive the depth guy that couldn't fetch a one-way contract just three months ago after being released for nothing. And considering the quality of young blueliners that have already cleared this preseason, I think Barberio would make it through and that's the best case scenario right there.

Condon got ran by JVR. Guess what Barberio did? Helped JVR get out of the net. He was sooo soft in Tampa too

Both parts of that are true, one doesn't change the other. Yes, he stood up for his goalie. Yes, he was still a soft defenceman in Tampa Bay.

Guest Stogey24

I'm saying he didn't stand up for his goalie and it was the third time Condon got ran. Barberio doesn't do it for me. Not a fan

I'm saying he didn't stand up for his goalie and it was the third time Condon got ran. Barberio doesn't do it for me. Not a fan

That makes more sense, my mistake. From how I interpreted it, I read your saying he helped van Riemsdyk up was standing up somewhat for his goalie by getting him off Condon instead of just skating away as lots do.

I must be the only one that doesn't think Barberio had a great preseason. He looked decent against a bunch of minor leaguers. Yippee? He should look that way against other teams' B squads. But minor leaguers aren't NHL'ers and Barberio's reputation is that he's soft and prone to mistakes with the puck. If it were up to me I'm not waiving a more established and, quite frankly, better NHL'er to keep him around. In five seasons, Barberio has risen to the level of fringe #6 defenceman and when the games matter, he's in the press box. That's Gilbert's floor; he can't be worse than that while Barberio hasn't shown he can really be much better despite getting into quite a few games for an end-of-roster player the last two years.

Besides, in this scenario (and assuming Gilbert gets claimed), if it's a right shooting D that gets hurt, Darren Dietz becomes an NHL regular because neither Tinordi nor Barberio can play the right side. That's not a good thing. And if Gilbert were to clear waivers, the cap savings would be largely negligible and they're comfortably under to begin with. (If the Habs were right up against the cap and needed to clear a few hundred thousand, this would become more of a palatable option.)

Depth is a good thing to have. One player is a depth defenceman - that's Barberio. One is a regular NHL'er. That's Gilbert. You don't waive the latter to keep the former. You waive the depth guy that couldn't fetch a one-way contract just three months ago after being released for nothing. And considering the quality of young blueliners that have already cleared this preseason, I think Barberio would make it through and that's the best case scenario right there.

either way, Gilbert or Barberio don't fit in my ideal line up right now, I'm not head over heels about Barberio here. I simply see him as a decent 7th man with some experience, we can sit here and talk about how soft he is and how he isn't that good, but bottom line is he isn't being begged to be that guy anyway, so why bother saying he cant ever be a top 4 if he won't ever be anyway? My point here is i'm not ready to give Gilbert Pateryn's spot simply because he has been around and used to be alright, Pateryn has played very solid since last years playoffs, and continued on his upswing this whole pre-season, sometimes having to clean up the mess Tinordi was doing beside him. So I say if you got a 2.75 mill guy who can't crack your line up, you do what is necessary to get rid of him, because no one should be ready to pay 2.75 for "depth" under any circumstance when you got 800k options available. I'm not sure what kind of Market a guy like Gilbert even has at this point, but a Trade would be great, a demotion would be less than ideal, but quickly becomes ideal if a team in real tough with their defence takes him off our hands through waivers.

• Upvote 1

Your complaining about bottom six-to-eight d-men. Splitting hairs isn't it, none will be impact players barring injuries, so other than Tinordi 'situation' not a big deal.

I definitely had low expectations going in but in the games I saw, I personally thought Barberio looked pretty good. I told myself something similar though in that it looked like Barberio was already playing as well as he could even if it were already the playoffs and in that respect, any of the younger prospects have his number because they'll probably improve throughout the season, one would hope. Whereas with him, what you saw is the best you'll get.