General Training Camp Thread

dlbalr

Flash has been odd.

He had a blood clot that cut his time with Colorado short. Has to be on blood thinners. Goes to the Panthers and leads them in scoring for two seasons in a row. Then... his numbers just drop. Hard. Before he's 30! He went 1st in scoring to 8th in scoring and only missed 2 games so it wasn't due to injury. Either the blood thinners messed him up or his game just fell apart.

He's not a top six player in the sense Lars Eller is not. He's a 25-30 point forward. But unlike Eller he had some success in the past and just isn't up to it anymore. No sense banking on his last two years in Florida (and games in Anaheim) were just a bad time. Unless... he has an amazing exhibition. Could have honestly been a blood thinner issue and he's back to being a 50-60 point forward. Stranger things have happened I guess?

If we weren't planning on carrying so many D I'd be fine with having Flynn and him as press box alternates. Gosh, there has to be a multi-man trade coming soon, right?

Flash has been odd.

He had a blood clot that cut his time with Colorado short. Has to be on blood thinners. Goes to the Panthers and leads them in scoring for two seasons in a row. Then... his numbers just drop. Hard. Before he's 30! He went 1st in scoring to 8th in scoring and only missed 2 games so it wasn't due to injury. Either the blood thinners messed him up or his game just fell apart.

He's not a top six player in the sense Lars Eller is not. He's a 25-30 point forward. But unlike Eller he had some success in the past and just isn't up to it anymore. No sense banking on his last two years in Florida (and games in Anaheim) were just a bad time. Unless... he has an amazing exhibition. Could have honestly been a blood thinner issue and he's back to being a 50-60 point forward. Stranger things have happened I guess?

If we weren't planning on carrying so many D I'd be fine with having Flynn and him as press box alternates. Gosh, there has to be a multi-man trade coming soon, right?

Sounds like we can add Fleischmann's name to the list of NHLers whose game mysteriously evaporates in what should be their career prime. Just for the Habs, this list includes Theodore, Gomez, and the long-forgotten Paul Mara.

What I will say is that the team has added three wild cards at FW: Semin, Fleishcmann (assuming he makes the team, and I suspect he will), and Kassian. Kassian is actually the most significant of these inasmuch as he is still young. If, as has maybe a 20% chance of happening, he finally matures and realizes his potential, we'll have added a significant piece to the lineup for years to come. But only a fool would count on this happening, of course. The other two guys are temporary fixes, assuming they work out.

This will be an entertaining this to look for in 2015-16: whether any of these guys can make an impact. Fun stuff.

I don't blame people for feeling like there's a lot that could go wrong or we don't have guaranteed guys like Williams or Sharp.

But a few wildcards make for an exciting season:

- How does Galchenyuk perform as a top six centre?

- How does Desharnais perform on the wing?

- Can Semin bounce back?

- Can Kassian meet the potential everyone says he has and put together in a full season what he put in his last 82 games?

- Can Devante Smith-Pelly perform better at a lower weight?

- Will Dale Weise still be able to put up points in a lesser role?

- Can Fleischmann make the team from a PTO and perform?

- Can Torrey Mitchell and Brian Flynn put up points on the fourth line?

- How will Pacioretty handle the captaincy pressure?

- Will Beaulieu step up this season into a top four role?

- Will Petry continue his uptrending career?

- Can Gilbert and Emelin hold onto their spots with strong play?

- Can Tinordi crack the team? Can Pateryn steal a spot?

- What can Mark Barberio and Bud Holloway do?

- Will any of the youngsters get a look with this much depth?

- Will Jacob De la Rose take Lars Ellers spot as third line centre?

- Can Dustin Tokarski be more reliable?

- Can Carey Price be better?

Tons of questions. If half of those questions go our way, we're going to be dominant in the east.

While we wait for the numbers about who gained/lost weight or grew an inch, here are the Habs' number changes:

Greg Pateryn: 64 to 6

Christian Thomas: 60 to 20 (so he'll be gone within a year)

Sven Andrighetto: 58 to 42

Zach Fucale: 70 to 30

Fleischmann is wearing #15 for anyone wondering.

• Upvote 1

While we wait for the numbers about who gained/lost weight or grew an inch, here are the Habs' number changes:

Love those numbers! Anything between 45 and 69 aggravates grouchy old men like me :)

Love those numbers! Anything between 45 and 69 aggravates grouchy old men like me :)

I prefer the lower numbers as well. Training camp numbers are called that for a reason, I've never been a huge fan of the high numbers being used for some reason.

Today's groupings:

CPMWxxgWUAAXYf6.jpg

Seems about right.

Scrimmage lines:

Eller - Galchenyuk - Semin

de la Rose - Desharnais - Weise

Andrighetto - Hudon - Smith-Pelly

Bozon - Dumont - Thomas (Crisp)

Emelin - Petry

Tinordi - Pateryn

Barberio - Lernout (Ellis)

Tokarski

Condon

---------------

Fleischmann - Plekanec - Gallagher

Kassian - Mitchell - Flynn

Scherbak - McCarron - Carr

Holloway - McNally (Miceli)- Gregoire

Markov - Subban

Beaulieu - Johnston

Hanley - Dietz (Thrower)

Price

Fucale

I prefer the lower numbers as well. Training camp numbers are called that for a reason, I've never been a huge fan of the high numbers being used for some reason.

Today's groupings:

CPMWxxgWUAAXYf6.jpg

Might as well call Team C the "Thanks for coming out!" team.

So, Sven went from the ugly 58 to the ugly 42... Comon' Sven.

Always liked numbers in the 90's. Lot of great players wear them these days (Tarasenko, Seguin, Stamkos, etc.)

Low numbers being used over and over are far more annoying to me than someone using a unique number.

It's like every year someone new is wearing #13, #6, #32, #8 and #20.

Markov and Subban stand out more wearing #76 and #79. Subban is already the greatest #76 of all time and has worn the number longer than anyone else. Same with Markov. Way better than if Markov was just #27 and Subban was #6.

Low numbers being used over and over are far more annoying to me than someone using a unique number.

It's like every year someone new is wearing #13, #6, #32, #8 and #20.

Markov and Subban stand out more wearing #76 and #79. Subban is already the greatest #76 of all time and has worn the number longer than anyone else. Same with Markov. Way better than if Markov was just #27 and Subban was #6.

Due to all the retirements of numbers, we have very few low numbers available. I personally think that is kinda dumb. We should honor our greats but taking the number out of rotation is a never ending problem. I know there will never be another Rocket (except me of course) but why can't someone wear that number?

I'll admit to inconsistency on the numbers. I really do dislike #s over 45 because they seem like 'training camp' numbers. They're also, for just that reason, numbers with no history, and they are numbers no team would have used back in the day. Why pointlessly disregard a minor tradition?

On the other hand, once you hit #65, the numbers seem to become flashy somehow, glamour numbers. Part of it is the mini-tradition of the 99s, 66s, 77s - alliterative numbers often worn by all-stars who aren't afraid to stand out. #76 seems like a cool number for Subban; #46 would be a big 'meh.' And 'double' numbers (44, 55, 66, etc.) are always cool.

In the end, then, my attitude is: either pick a big, bold number OR go with a traditional one. Stuff like #64 is junk.

In the end, then, my attitude is: either pick a big, bold number OR go with a traditional one. Stuff like #64 is junk.

I guess you don't play videogames haha. 64 can be for Commodore or Nintendo. Heck there was a big push for Mike Commodore to wear #64 and he wouldn't.

I guess you don't play videogames haha. 64 can be for Commodore or Nintendo. Heck there was a big push for Mike Commodore to wear #64 and he wouldn't.

Hah! Yes, 'Commodore 64' would have been pretty good. Too bad he said no - spoilsport.

Guest Stogey24

Semin looked like he was flyin around in that scrimmage ? and Kassian buried a nice wrister. If these two find their game, MTL is a serious threat up and down their line up

Semin looked like he was flyin around in that scrimmage and Kassian buried a nice wrister. If these two find their game, MTL is a serious threat up and down their line up

No question, but let's not get too excited until actual, meaningful games with physical contact start up, shall we? ;)

Oh to hell with it C/C lets get stoked now. We can dream now, we may not be able to 4 months from now. The habs win the cup! I have a pen that says that every time time you click it and there is nothing finer than Danny Galivan saying "the habs win the cup!"