General Training Camp Thread

dlbalr

Goalie Mike McNiven is getting a look in the scrimmage today. It's rare that an invitee gets a look in a scrimmage game; they're really giving him a shot here. I hope he does well as I'd like the Habs to sign him and a good outing might help tip the scales.

Petry scored on McNiven moments into the game so not a great start for him. Fleischmann tied it up shortly thereafter on a penalty shot, beating Condon.

Brian I have to ask why do you want he habs to sign McNiven? i mean I have never heard of him which means exactly nothing but you aare the all knowing, so please tell me tell me do.

Brian I have to ask why do you want he habs to sign McNiven? i mean I have never heard of him which means exactly nothing but you aare the all knowing, so please tell me tell me do.

McNiven didn't play much last year so I think he's a bit of an under-the-radar player. The scouting reports I've read about him are positive to the point where some had him ranked as a 4th-6th rounder in the past draft. Here's one from one of the draft guides I have from last draft.

While many think there are too many goalies in the system already, I'm not of that mindset. Hayden Hawkey, the only unsigned goalie prospect the team has right now, is four years from going pro. There is going to be a need to add another goalie (probably two) between now and then.

I believe he's going to have a breakout season this year. I'm not a fan of Owen Sound's starter and I expect McNiven will beat him out before too long. If that happens, that means McNiven's playing well and if that happens, he's getting drafted next June. So if they want him and think along the same lines I do, they need to sign him now. He's a project goalie but one that I think has some upside.

McNiven didn't play much last year so I think he's a bit of an under-the-radar player. The scouting reports I've read about him are positive to the point where some had him ranked as a 4th-6th rounder in the past draft. Here's one from one of the draft guides I have from last draft.

While many think there are too many goalies in the system already, I'm not of that mindset. Hayden Hawkey, the only unsigned goalie prospect the team has right now, is four years from going pro. There is going to be a need to add another goalie (probably two) between now and then.

I believe he's going to have a breakout season this year. I'm not a fan of Owen Sound's starter and I expect McNiven will beat him out before too long. If that happens, that means McNiven's playing well and if that happens, he's getting drafted next June. So if they want him and think along the same lines I do, they need to sign him now. He's a project goalie but one that I think has some upside.

well that is interesting. So how is it they can sign him if he hasn't been drafted? Is he overage or how does this work?

well that is interesting. So how is it they can sign him if he hasn't been drafted? Is he overage or how does this work?

I am sure Dlbair will clean this up but off the top of my head--- he turned eighteen in July making him eligible for this past draft;went undrafted, so anyone could sign him up to the start of season.

I am sure Dlbair will clean this up but off the top of my head--- he turned eighteen in July making him eligible for this past draft;went undrafted, so anyone could sign him up to the start of season.

Correct. I think the cutoff is October 1st but I don't feel like digging through the CBA to double check that.

Lines from today's ongoing scrimmage:

Fleischmann - Plekanec - Gallagher

de la Rose - Mitchell - Kassian

Carr - McCarron - Scherbak

McNally - Miceli - Holloway

Markov - Subban

Tinordi - Gilbert

Bennett - Dietz

Eller - Galchenyuk - Semin

Flynn - Desharnais - Weise

Smith-Pelly - Hudon - Andrighetto

Bozon - Dumont - Thomas

Emelin - Petry

Barberio - Pateryn

Johnston - Lernout

Goals by Fleischmann and Carr for the first team, Galchenyuk (2), Hudon, Eller, and Thomas for the second team.

They've broken the groups into what looks like NHL (or at least potentially NHL) and non-NHL: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPb4RBpXAAA8zn2.jpg

Lines for the NHL group:

Andrighetto - Plekanec - Gallagher

Eller - Galchenyuk - Flynn

Fleischmann - Hudon - Weise

Carr - McCarron - Smith-Pelly

Markov - Subban

Emelin - Petry

Beaulieu - Gilbert

Tinordi - Pateryn

Barberio

I really don't get the point of Flynn with Galchenyuk and Eller. I get that Semin is hurt, but giving Kassian, smith-pelly or hudon a look, would make a hell of a lot more sense.

They've broken the groups into what looks like NHL (or at least potentially NHL) and non-NHL: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPb4RBpXAAA8zn2.jpg

Lines for the NHL group:

Andrighetto - Plekanec - Gallagher

Eller - Galchenyuk - Flynn

Fleischmann - Hudon - Weise

Carr - McCarron - Smith-Pelly

Markov - Subban

Emelin - Petry

Beaulieu - Gilbert

Tinordi - Pateryn

Barberio

I guess Flynn will be the new Darche.

Flynn has been getting some solid looks by Therrien in scrimmage. I think he's interested to see if there's more game in him.

I guess Flynn will be the new Darche.

What's wrong with giving a relative newcomer to the team a chance in training camp for a few practices at the beginning? His style of play is much better suited in a skilled role than a fourth line one where he spent most of last year. He played nearly 16 minutes a night with Buffalo before the trade last year and was over 14 a game the year before. Of course, Flynn in a top-9 role on this team isn't ideal but if injuries strike, he's one of the more logical options to move up.

I wouldn't be making conclusions that he'll be overused like Darche merely because he's the placeholder for Semin while Semin misses a practice or two though. That might be jumping the gun a tad.

The Habs are changing up their special teams coaches. Dan Lacroix will now run the penalty kill while J.J. Daigneault and Craig Ramsay will run the PP.

Also, apparently they'll be waiting until Sunday to make their first set of cuts. I'm guessing that lines up with the start date for St. John's training camp.

The Habs are changing up their special teams coaches. Dan Lacroix will now run the penalty kill while J.J. Daigneault and Craig Ramsay will run the PP.

Also, apparently they'll be waiting until Sunday to make their first set of cuts. I'm guessing that lines up with the start date for St. John's training camp.

Re organising the chairs on the Titanic? I guess they did kind of fire Lacroix. It is a step in the right direction. Hopefully our penalty kill doesn't go down.

Re organising the chairs on the Titanic? I guess they did kind of fire Lacroix. It is a step in the right direction. Hopefully our penalty kill doesn't go down.

I wouldn't say they kind of fired Lacroix. He's still a coach and is still going to be behind the bench. He just swaps special teams duties. My guess is that he'll still run the forwards at even strength.

Daniel Hudgin, former QMJHL player who played for Lacroix in Moncton, said he's an excellent PK coach. Went from worst in the Q to top three.

Lines this morning:

Flynn - Plekanec - Galchenyuk

Eller - Galchenyuk - Semin

Fleischmann - Desharnais - Weise

De la Rose - Mitchell - Kassian

Hudon - Andrighetto - Smith-Pelly/McCarron

Markov - Subban

Emelin - Petry

Beaulieu - Gilbert

Barberio/Tinordi - Pateryn

- Eller got a stick in the face by Emelin and had to leave practice.

- Hudon, Andrighetto, McCarron and Smith-Pelly wearing powder blue jerseys

- McCarron was supposed to be Team B (the other prospects) but they switched him with Carr at practice

- First cuts to be made by Sunday. 15-20 players to be cut before October 1 Ice Caps game.

- Subban said problem with PP last year is everyone thought it would fix itself in time. Lacked creativity, didn't allow creative players to breathe. Said a strong PP makes teams afraid to take penalties during five on five. Teams weren't afraid last season against Montreal.

(EDIT: This is from Arpon Basu)

I guess our PK is set for a dip.

I'm just glad they're doing SOMETHING, finally, about the PP coaching. Whether it works is another question, but standing pat after that pathetic display last season never made sense.