Josh Ho-Sang

habs rule

Ok let's get a discussion going, do you think we should go get Ho-(late for camp) Sang? He is one really talented individual but he is also a jerk from what I have read. The Isles sent him back to junior cause he was late for camp. Fair enough. But are they so pissed at him that they will give him up for not tooo much? He reminds me of PK when he was younger, cocky and full of piss and vinegar as my uncle used to say. Do you think we could snag him? Do we want to? Can we turn him around? What do you arm chair GM's think? I say hell yes if we can get him, DO IT. How about you guys?

Insider-ish info:

I know a lot of Spitfires people and when I told them about the cut, they either laughed or shook their head and then looked in disappointment because they all believe in his talent and think he's generally a good kid, but he's spoiled rotten by his parents and it gets to him thinking he can walk on water. He was being told in rookie camp that he'll be playing with Tavares in main camp. And then he showed up late.

I don't know yet if he was super late or the "five minutes late for an optional meeting" like Evander Kane but I can't stand the hard line "kick them to the OHL" stuff because it doesn't actually teach them anything. Habs used to let the kids run amok because "they were in the big leagues and need to learn themselves" and it did us no good. Once we started having Gill babysit Price and Subban, suddenly the ethics in our locker room changed because everyone was looking out for each other. Ho-Sang should be put on a probation where he has to room with a veteran, maybe a guy like Steve Bernier who was just on a PTO and got signed. He'd be the kind of guy to teach Ho-Sang some important stuff about how you gotta fight for your spot in the league.

It all just feels really weird that after everything with Patrick Kane under criminal investigation, the entire organization is defending him, while Ho-Sang is late for a scrimmage and sent to the OHL. Just doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth on the overall viewpoint of players in the league.

Apparently this wasn't the first issue he's had with the team. As for how late he was, team officials apparently woke him up while the rest of the team was on the ice. While they didn't say how late that was, that's likely more than an hour late, probably more.

As for the question of would I want him? Not in a million years. He has the talent to make it but unless he finally wakes up and realizes he's not the greatest player who ever lived, he won't make it as a successful pro. I don't see that happening. I also don't think the Islanders will move him any time soon either. They traded up to get him so clearly they believe his talent will trump all. Some bad decisions 15 months after they drafted him probably doesn't change that.

Why?

Ho-Sang is a total package. Could use some more weight added but he's highly skilled and smart. Reway is another small, highly skilled forward who doesn't show much interest in coming to North America. Ho-Sang showed up to camp and slept in. Reway skipped camp entirely.

I'd take him for cheap.

Is he immature? Hell yes.... He's also 19 years old. Plenty of people (not just hockey players) do immature things like sleep in for work at 19. Like MOLG says you get a vet to teach him.

He'd be instantly the #1 or #2 most purely talented prospect in our system.

Insider-ish info:

I know a lot of Spitfires people and when I told them about the cut, they either laughed or shook their head and then looked in disappointment because they all believe in his talent and think he's generally a good kid, but he's spoiled rotten by his parents and it gets to him thinking he can walk on water. He was being told in rookie camp that he'll be playing with Tavares in main camp. And then he showed up late.

I don't know yet if he was super late or the "five minutes late for an optional meeting" like Evander Kane but I can't stand the hard line "kick them to the OHL" stuff because it doesn't actually teach them anything. Habs used to let the kids run amok because "they were in the big leagues and need to learn themselves" and it did us no good. Once we started having Gill babysit Price and Subban, suddenly the ethics in our locker room changed because everyone was looking out for each other. Ho-Sang should be put on a probation where he has to room with a veteran, maybe a guy like Steve Bernier who was just on a PTO and got signed. He'd be the kind of guy to teach Ho-Sang some important stuff about how you gotta fight for your spot in the league.

It all just feels really weird that after everything with Patrick Kane under criminal investigation, the entire organization is defending him, while Ho-Sang is late for a scrimmage and sent to the OHL. Just doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth on the overall viewpoint of players in the league.

Yeah I agree with that. He is not being charged with beating up a cabbie or raping a girl, for crying out loud. As was very famously said "it was practice" he didn't miss a game, he didn't shoot anybody, He was late for "practice". And if I could get him for a reasonable price, I would take him in a heart beat. Too much talent not to. Do none of you remember a guy named Gilmour? Had a problem in St Louis, in the big picture it worked out ok.

Tinordi+hudon for Ho-sang

I'd take him for cheap.

Is he immature? Hell yes.... He's also 19 years old. Plenty of people (not just hockey players) do immature things like sleep in for work at 19. Like MOLG says you get a vet to teach him.

He'd be instantly the #1 or #2 most purely talented prospect in our system.

But the Islanders won't give him up for cheap. If they're moving him, they'll want full value or they'll try to work through his issues themselves.

But do we really know that Brian? We have plenty of prospects, who knows?

Tinordi+hudon for Ho-sang

Tinordi has next to no value right now, he certainly isn't going to be part of a package for any potentially high end prospect. And despite what I may think about Ho-Sang's chances, the Islanders remain high on him so Hudon isn't getting it done either. They view him as a high end guy so they won't take an out of waiver options disappointment and a potential third liner for him.

But do we really know that Brian? We have plenty of prospects, who knows?

Contrary to popular belief, the Islanders' management group isn't entirely incompetent. They knew what they were getting into with Ho-Sang when they traded up to draft him. So after a few stupid instances, they're not going to throw in the towel on him and take any middling offer for him to get him off their hands. There were teams that had Ho-Sang on their do not draft list. With Montreal's interest in character players, I wouldn't be shocked if they were one of those teams. Given how high the Isles claim to be on him, the Habs might have all of about three prospects they might consider for Ho-Sang in a one for one deal - Scherbak, McCarron, and Juulsen.

As for the Habs having plenty of prospects, that's true but quantity doesn't equal quality and Montreal has more of the former than the latter in their current pool.

Tinordi has next to no value right now, he certainly isn't going to be part of a package for any potentially high end prospect. And despite what I may think about Ho-Sang's chances, the Islanders remain high on him so Hudon isn't getting it done either. They view him as a high end guy so they won't take an out of waiver options disappointment and a potential third liner for him.

Contrary to popular belief, the Islanders' management group isn't entirely incompetent. They knew what they were getting into with Ho-Sang when they traded up to draft him. So after a few stupid instances, they're not going to throw in the towel on him and take any middling offer for him to get him off their hands. There were teams that had Ho-Sang on their do not draft list. With Montreal's interest in character players, I wouldn't be shocked if they were one of those teams. Given how high the Isles claim to be on him, the Habs might have all of about three prospects they might consider for Ho-Sang in a one for one deal - Scherbak, McCarron, and Juulsen.

As for the Habs having plenty of prospects, that's true but quantity doesn't equal quality and Montreal has more of the former than the latter in their current pool.

Brian let's face it compared to the goof who was the GM before, anybody would look good. But I agree that Garth Snow as strange and appointment as it seemed at the time has gained some respect. Doesn't mean we couldn't best him on a trade. I mean Mr Bergevin has beat a few guys so far and I think he will continue to do so. He is the best hire this team has made since Sammy and there were a lot of good ones between.