How good is this team?

habs rule

We seem to have virtually no room for prospects to make the team. Are we that good? or are our prospects that bad? I think a Tinordi can make the roster on at least 15 teams, but he may not make our squad. What about Mccarron? Sherback? Talented guys, won't make it? What do you guys think?

Probably too early for McCarron, definitely too early for Sherbak, and Tinordi has to prove he deserves to be there, and may be in spite of himself, and ride the pines till he is traded for a $20 Tim's card...

We have a great D core, and lots of NHL ready forwards, so at this moment, I don't see a spot for any of the young forwards to make the team that are slated to start in Nfld.

I think Flynn and Smith Pelley have the inside track, and the better game than Hudon and the rest of the prospects, and rightfully so.

I think this team is definitely better than last year's, but I am assuming that Kassian and Semin are upgrades over Prust and whoever else got a shot on the wing, especially after the Malhotra and Andrighetto/Thomas type experiments last year...

I think we are much better than last year. I also believe that when a team that has a hard time fitting the prospects in to the line up, they are getting close to challenging for the cup. Are we there yet? I don't know but I see signs.

We seem to have virtually no room for prospects to make the team. Are we that good? or are our prospects that bad? I think a Tinordi can make the roster on at least 15 teams, but he may not make our squad. What about Mccarron? Sherback? Talented guys, won't make it? What do you guys think?

I'd say neither. It just means that there's depth. When injuries arise, they'll have better replacements than the likes of Gabriel Dumont.

I hope you're right that Tinordi can crack the roster of half the teams in the league. That would mean that there might actually be a trade market for him which would be nice because I don't think Montreal is one of those teams.

McCarron and Scherbak shouldn't be in the discussion to make the team. Timmins called McCarron a four year project two years ago; he has the size to play in the NHL now but needs to continue to work on how to bring a skill game to complement his size. As for Scherbak, he's still 19 for another three months. In other words, he's junior aged. Most junior aged players picked that late in the 1st round aren't even remotely in the discussion to crack an NHL roster. He has plenty of potential but ideally is two years away as well.

• Upvote 1

I've been wrong once before, but I honestly think chucky's about to put up close to 65 points. He's looking like a far more experienced player out there. If he steps up this team has the potential to be one of the elite as long as no one else regresses. (Price naturally will slightly)

27 goals 38 assists. He'll score in clumps, but have less lengthy dry spells.

I've been wrong once before, but I honestly think chucky's about to put up close to 65 points. He's looking like a far more experienced player out there. If he steps up this team has the potential to be one of the elite as long as no one else regresses. (Price naturally will slightly)

27 goals 38 assists. He'll score in clumps, but have less lengthy dry spells.

If Montreal plays better defence in front of Price, any decline should be impossible to see.

I've pressed on the drop in scoring for people to quell expectations and not be disappointed by things like, "Galchenyuk didn't hit 90 points!" when nobody hit 90 points last year.

That said, I agree that around 65 point is a number Galchenyuk can hit in a healthy season at centre. Kyle Turris did 24, 40, 64 last year and Galchenyuk, I feel, is better than Turris.

It depends on his ice time, his powerplay time, how good our powerplay is, how good his linemates are, etc. but it's definitely possible.

I suspect we will be a somewhat better-balanced team than last year: slightly less reliant on Patches up front due to some configuration of Semin/Kassian/Galchenyuk bringing added value (and I wouldn't rule out Gallagher taking a step forward offensively either), along with a better overall offensive push from the backend due to Beaulieu and possibly Petry improving while Markov has enough left in his twilight to remain dangerous.

Our 'determination/character' quotient may take a bit of a dip due to the infusion of basket cases, but I doubt it'll be enough to undermine the strong core.

Not a huge leap forward, and our position in the standings might conceivably even dip a bit, but overall a bit stronger fundamentally. The team has reached a level where the playoffs have to be a given and the real test will come in the post-season. Can we finally punch past TB/NYR and whoever else may rise to the top of the Conference? Cautious optimism is in order, I'd say.

• Upvote 1

If everything goes right we are a Stanley Cup contender.

There have been teams where everything was going right and they still blew it in the playoffs (San Jose, Washington) and teams where things seemed to be a disaster or make dumb mistakes and still won Stanley Cups (Chicago, Los Angeles). Heck, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the 96 Red Wings which won 62 games but even they lost in the playoffs.

But yeah, how good is this team? Good enough to make the Eastern Conference final if they can stay healthy.

How good are we?

The goaltender is best in the NHL. The backup is a quesiton mark.

The defence has a legit norris contender, and at least 2 other solid guys..... Our bottom pairs are serviceable and their is plenty of depth.

At forward,

- Our captain is one of the best snipers in the league and plays an all-around game

- We have a veteran centre who can play shut down d against anyone in the NHL.

- we have a gritty, heart on his soul right wing who should be good for 20 points.

- Our bottom line has plenty of depth and good pkers.

All of this is excellent

So where are we?

Well there are a few questions.

1) Is Beaulieu good enough as the 2nd pairing left defenceman? If not do we find another LD cause none of Emelin/Barbeiro/Tinorid is a top 4 D on a cup winner.

2) Is Galchenyuk ready to emerge to a 60 point player at centre? Can he play defense well enough too?

3) Is one of Semin/Kassian or both going to emerge as a 20 goal scorer?

4) Can we stay healthy (note every team asks this but its a huge part of winning the cup)

If you answer those four questions at yes, we are a cup team

If you have a no to one of those questions then Bergevin has work to do at the deadline and we can still be a cup contender.

If you have a no to two or three of those... we are probably a second/first round playoff team

If you have a no to all 4 questions, we are fighting for a playoff spot come April.

• Upvote 1

We are good, but our roster top to bottom is still behind Tampa IMO. We have perhaps more question marks up front, and we'll need Galchenyuk or somebody to take a leap so that Pacioretty isn't all alone as a top forward. We didn't have anyone else last season who was close to the conversation of being an elite forward, and that's a red flag in my book when we're talking about a Cup contender.

I do think that we have excellent depth, and I really like the heart that we've shown recently, even winning those two games against Tampa after going down 3-0. Hopefully we can continue to build on what has been three positive years under the Therien-Bergevin regime.

• Upvote 1

We are good, but our roster top to bottom is still behind Tampa IMO. We have perhaps more question marks up front, and we'll need Galchenyuk or somebody to take a leap so that Pacioretty isn't all alone as a top forward. We didn't have anyone else last season who was close to the conversation of being an elite forward, and that's a red flag in my book when we're talking about a Cup contender.

I do think that we have excellent depth, and I really like the heart that we've shown recently, even winning those two games against Tampa after going down 3-0. Hopefully we can continue to build on what has been three positive years under the Therien-Bergevin regime.

I don't think our defence is worse than Tampa.

Tampa has a more potent top six, but not the depth we have, and overall our D is a better group, and our goalie, well you know.

I really think the Rangers are a forgotten entity on this board last season(because of Tampa rivalry ringing in our ears), and the may be the ones we battle for 1st in the Eastern conference, I expect Tampa to take a small step back this season...

I don't think that anyone disagrees with the proposition that we must get more from our FW unit as a whole. That's the key, because the G and backend are obviously very good. But personally I don't care if improvement up front comes from one or two players taking a 'huge leap' or just a handful of players each producing a bit more than their comparators from last year. Either way, more goals are going into the opposition net.

(Indeed, if we could just have even a half-decent PP, that could prove the difference; it likely would have altered the face of the TB series, for starters).

I still say a team with only 1 All-star forward is very unlikely to win a cup.

So yes do need an all-star year from someone not being the captain to get to the promised land.

What is it now, just 2 cups in almost 40 years?

• Upvote 1

I agree with the last comment. The team is slightly improved. We definitely have more depth at all positions, except the crease, where we still depend on the best goalie of the league. We could be in worst shape.

The power play will make the difference this year. The good news is that probabilities are low that we can do worse. With the likes of Petry and Beaulieu to play on the 2nd unit, and guys like Kassian and Semin to go along more experienced youngsters like Gallagher and Chucky. Not to mention young veterans like Pax and Eller, we should be able to do better.