2015-16 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

I only looked at Arbour's playing stats and didn't know he went in HOF as a player, just thought it was as a Isles builder/coach/GM.

So few as coaches, maybe more superstars made it big as GMs also?

Guest Stogey24

Makes you reconsider the "things we cannot discuss" statement Bergy made.

How would that have anything to do with getting John Scott

How would that have anything to do with getting John Scott

Because as we all know, Scott wasn't the target of the deal, Bartley was. The three week holdup was because Bartley got hurt shortly before the deal was going to be done. Scott's inclusion was, at least officially (depending on whether or not you think there was a conspiracy from the NHL here), strictly for financial reasons since Arizona wanted to unload a contract the other way. The choices apparently were Scott and the much more expensive (but more talented) Steve Downie.

Did the Habs know Tinordi was going to fail a drug test two months before it actually came out? I find that a bit hard to believe though I too quickly thought back to Bergevin's odd statement. If it were to come out that they knew and didn't disclose it to the Coyotes, that could be a tad problematic.

Where will Lehkonen slot in the roster in Oct?

Most likely in St Johns. Jacob Silfverberg was the best player in SHL when he made the jump here at age 22 and he had 19 points in 48 games after starting the season in the AHL because of the lockout. Lehkonen is only 20 and not as dominating SHL player so I expect him to play a year in the AHL at least. Hopefully next season.

• Upvote 1

Most likely in St Johns. Jacob Silfverberg was the best player in SHL when he made the jump here at age 22 and he had 19 points in 48 games after starting the season in the AHL because of the lockout. Lehkonen is only 20 and not as dominating SHL player so I expect him to play a year in the AHL at least. Hopefully next season.

With Lehkonen already signed in Frolunda, I think they might send him back there over sending him to St. John's.

• 2 weeks later...

Vancouver-Edmonton-Toronto tied for last place in NHL. Quite a battle!

Yeah, Van has really distinguished themselves by losing nine straight (!). They are almost unbelievably bad despite having - astoundingly - failed to trade a SINGLE expiring/veteran contract at the deadline. Utterly inept general managing. I rate this as good news, since anything that mucks up TO's odds of getting Matthews is delightful in my books. :halm:

If Habs don't get Matthews (5% today), hope is Canucks to get him.

I'm no Canucks fan, that's for sure; but I think Matthews in Van would be relatively innocuous, because I don't see this organization giving him the supporting cast needed to become contenders, at least not in anything like the near term. By contrast, TO has so many draft picks and prospects that adding him to the mix could prove very worrisome.

Very dirty stick swing by Duncan Keith, I expect him to miss some of the first round.

This isn't his first dirty play. I don't care how good he is, its time for the NHL to crack down. That was ridiculous.

Why is there so little talk about Brent Burns for the Norris? I'm always hearing karlsson, hearing a lot of doughty this year, but Burns is a machine. Should he be in the convo?

Hack by Keith would make McCracken smile. Just lucky wasn't a fringe player like Brown, he would be gone forever. But since no big injury, star player will maybe get 4-5 games.

McSorley on Brashear-lite.

Elliotte Friedman reporting that Pavel Datsyuk may go back to Russia after this season for personal reasons. His 7.5 million dollar cap hit would still apply to the Wings' cap for 1 more season because of the 35+ rule.

I wonder if he agrees to a trade to a floor team first so that his retirement penalty doesn't hurt the Red Wings?